Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ascension  (Read 781 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Ascension
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:23:10 pm »

Since I'm fairly sure nothing happens if you completely depopulate the world in Adventurer (and then your only option is to starve), what if an adventurer with high enough faith in a deity could ascend after meeting certain conditions, unique to that particular deity?  eg, a faithful worshipper of Armok would have the option to ascend after wiping out a civilization, or a worshipper of Bunny, God of Rainbows and Fluffy Happiness could ascend after bringing peace to the world.
I suppose the only real benefits of this would be role-playing and to make yourself look better in Legends.
Thoughts?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ascension
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:25:28 pm »

Personally I have absolutely no problem with and in fact fully support
1) Mortal Becoming gods through worship, feats of bravery, or the occult
2) Mortals becoming new beings due to their relationship with gods
3) Mortals ascending to their gods side.

I support these and hope to see them put into the game

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:20:06 pm »

I don't much care for forcing winning conditions into something which ultimately cannot be won

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »

it's not winning conditions, it's an ultimate goal, and unlockable play mode.

after all, god mode is all about controling the entire world, and destroying the other gods.

also, Urist McAthiest would rise to god hood by finding out "hey, there is a god!" and killing it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 04:35:48 pm »

I think that at first Ascension should take your character out of the game and into legends. (At least until playing gods is possible)

"I don't much care for forcing winning conditions into something which ultimately cannot be won"

Interestingly enough, Dwarf Fortress used to have this. That and for forget that a "Victory" doesn't remove an "Aftergame"

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »

Interestingly enough, Dwarf Fortress used to have this. That and for forget that a "Victory" doesn't remove an "Aftergame"
If by 'win' you mean 'get eaten by a demon', then yes.   :P
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:02:54 pm »

If by 'win' you mean 'get eaten by a demon', then yes.   :P

Yeah it is a "Win" though it is a "Bad ending"

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:19:56 pm »

Well ascension could be a special case of retirement id you achived enought power/magics/followers whatever.

Hundret years later your new char fights against the church of saint Urist firefist newborn god of fire destruction and fluffy wumblers.

I also think the abilitys of a "God" (except Armok (the God not the member) ) are pretty limited - atleast toady said that on Armok1.

Also if it has stats you can kill it and sometimes gods die of oldage in year 1 :P.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 07:05:31 pm »

I think I mentioned in a thread long, long ago that legendaries might ascend. That'd be a nice feature for fortress mode.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..