Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I hate glaciers.  (Read 3622 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: I hate glaciers.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 01:08:58 am »

so moral of the story is, take lots of wood with you, and allways have a few peices forbidden for strange moods. i play in deserts a lot now and its the best way of keeping some.

also, im very sure that water will not freeze if its on a tile designated as inside. so if you build a roof over the top of a water source it wont freeze or evaporate. if you hunt around for accounts of other ice forts there is a lot of discussion about what conditions df ice will melt/freeze and how to arrange water sources and penetrate aquifers.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 02:08:30 am »

No, water freezes at set levels.

I tried, I found an aquifier under my ice levels, so i emptied out a large room in the ice level above it, surrounded it with walls and set up my pump to fill it (was gonna sacrifice a peasent to do it). He starts pumping and somehow pumps up a solid ice wall...

Water INSTANTLY freezes on ice levels. Unless its in a bucket...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 02:13:31 am »

I've had worldgens where I could find starting locations with glaciers and tropical forests in the same embark. You could always try a glacier like that.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 10:35:06 pm »

... 0_0 ...

'Duh! Hey Hags! Why Don't You Just Collapse The Ice Down To A Level Where it Will Melt?"

What level is that anyway?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »

Where it stops being ice and starts being rock.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GODDAMMIT MACHINE THAT IS NOT A RIVER
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 11:03:31 pm »

The main thing I hate about glaciers is the site finder's insistence that a glacier is the same thing as a river.  No, you treacherous, disobedient machine, a glacier is not a river no matter how many times you tell me it is.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 11:34:25 pm »

I'm just gonna add that with the zombie mod, starting as humans means no farming of any kind :o

either that or I just got a glitch :)

and yes I had farmable area
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 11:39:38 pm »

I've had worldgens where I could find starting locations with glaciers and tropical forests in the same embark. You could always try a glacier like that.

wow. wouldnt that invlolve the entire glacier suddenly realizing that it shouldnt be there, and melting all in one go? that would be the shortest most awesome fortress ever.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 12:58:07 am »

Just saying, I think you can start on a glacier adjacent to a non freezing forest with a river. It takes an unusual worldgen, though.

Or an awesome one.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 01:09:15 am »

Rivers can "run through" a glacier square without anything being shown for it. I assume the site finder is picking up those river squares that are being overwritten by the glacier squares.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 10:01:58 am »

I'm pretty sure it's 'underground' tiles that don't freeze, not specific z-levels. In my current map water freezes in winter, and in my well cistern there's always a shaft of ice straight to the bottom every winter. It meals rebuilding the well every spring, even though the well itself is 'inside'.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 12:16:42 pm »

I'm just gonna add that with the zombie mod, starting as humans means no farming of any kind :o

I guess this would be because there's no soil on a glacier.

If you brought enough food to survive til a military caravan arrives, and then  can get past all the zombies, you should be able to get some seeds for underground farming.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 03:50:26 am »

Re: carpenters + fey moods + trees- wood's so cheap that on a desert map I just trade for all I need. Elves are good for something after all!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Delduvat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 05:56:40 am »

Btw, is there any way to replenish my cistern after it gets dry?
The first water was made dy dropping some natural ice down there,
but when I try to add some more via building and dropping ice wall or floor
all I get is some damn ice boulders.
Yes, they turn into water, but not the one for drinking - it`s pale blue
one that creates a 'cleaning' job. So all I see with 'k' there is:
water
water
water (2/7)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:22 pm »

Well I HATE YOU TOO...oh. Oh, I see. Okay. Um.

I rely on aquifers for glacier survival. It's the only safe way!
Pages: 1 [2] 3