Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I hate glaciers.  (Read 3627 times)

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
I hate glaciers.
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:11:08 am »

But they are so damn 'fun'!

My biggest challenge right now is trying to bring my magma several levels up so I can get a water production plant going... But its doing my head in  ???

Currentely I'm just planning to make a large cistern full of magma One z level below the surface, Thus hoping that (after I mine it out) I'll be able to heat the surrounding tiles up and create a ring of water. From there I can work on expanding it.

Thank Armok for Civ Forge, It gives me a caravan every season!

I hate to say it, But I was even happy when those pointy eared gits showed up... I then promptly took all their shit and sent them packing.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: I hate glaciers.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:18:01 am »

If by shit, you mean their lives, and by packing, you mean to deaths doorstep, then you are successful at surviving on a glacier.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:16:51 pm »

On my current fort, I couldn't figure out how to keep the ice melted as it flowed down; whenever the water tried to flow into the channel, there wasn't magma beneath it, and so the water froze, blocking the channel. I eventually collapsed it with the intent of running lava over the top, but for some reason after the cave-in, some of the water is still liquid despite nothing being over it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:31:18 pm »

Yeah. I've found that the collapse method works best for glacier maps. Much easier then trying to get magma to do it for you. Just have a canal leading from the bottom of the collapse zone to your fort and you've got a nice water source.

I'm learning to like glaciers, since I'm currently modding the Frost Giants as a playable civ. It's rather fun building towers of ice!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:58:39 pm »

Building towers of ice is fun!
Learning that if you build your Kitchen out of ice blocks, it will melt, is not as much fun.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:14:49 pm »

it does annoy me slightly that constructed walls and floors are temperature immune. its a bit demented when applied to ice walls and things. you can run magma through a constructed ice or wood channel and it will go fine.

cast ice walls are different, though.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:46:08 pm »

... 0_0 ...

Armok be damned, I'm stupid...

'Duh! Hey Hags! Why Don't You Just Collapse The Ice Down To A Level Where it Will Melt?"

*facepalm*
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:06:57 am »

Although, to be honest, I didn't think it would work; I mean, it's still exposed to the surface. I only collapsed it so I could run my magma above it.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 01:36:02 pm »

Maybe can cause the collapse under surface?  Wouldn't be exposed to outside while the water still falls and smashes on something.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:14:26 am »

Urist mcWoodworker: Hey boss?

me: NO! DON'T MINE THAT ONE! *crash*... DAMNIT!

Urist: Boss!

Me: WHAT!? Oh, urist, how is my ONLY woodworker today...

Urist: Well, boss. I just finished Making all those beds n barrels you asked for. I used up ALLLLLL the lumber. Anything else?

Me, Distracted by the retarded antics of my miners: Huh? what? Oh, just activate Stone detailing and smooth some floors, or someth-OH WHAT THE FUDGE!? HOW THE HELL DID YOU EVEN GET UP THERE!?

Urist: Okay... derp derp derp... Hey, ya know what. SECRETIVE MOOD

Me: Wait... what? OH YOU BASTARD! Don't you fucking DARE walk into that carpenter shop...

Urist: Derp derp derp... I'm in yor Carpener Shop Insaning your Woodworker...

Edit1:

Urist Mc Woodworker: Derp derp derp derp... derp.... derp..... d... e... r... p...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:24:56 am by Hagadorn »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 02:56:03 pm »

Urist mcWoodworker: Hey boss?

me: NO! DON'T MINE THAT ONE! *crash*... DAMNIT!

Urist: Boss!

Me: WHAT!? Oh, urist, how is my ONLY woodworker today...

Urist: Well, boss. I just finished Making all those beds n barrels you asked for. I used up ALLLLLL the lumber. Anything else?

Me, Distracted by the retarded antics of my miners: Huh? what? Oh, just activate Stone detailing and smooth some floors, or someth-OH WHAT THE FUDGE!? HOW THE HELL DID YOU EVEN GET UP THERE!?

Urist: Okay... derp derp derp... Hey, ya know what. SECRETIVE MOOD

Me: Wait... what? OH YOU BASTARD! Don't you fucking DARE walk into that carpenter shop...

Urist: Derp derp derp... I'm in yor Carpener Shop Insaning your Woodworker...

Edit1:

Urist Mc Woodworker: Derp derp derp derp... derp.... derp..... d... e... r... p...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lolwut?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:32:37 pm »

lolwut?

Idunno, but it sounds 'fun'.

As for glaciers, making iglos is always fun to try and do. If you've got the, stones, for it! Huh? Huh? HUH?
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:41:02 pm »

He was on a glacier (no woods to chop) his starting wood ran out and his carpeter got a fey mood.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »

Bam, You get an internet cookie.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »

He was on a glacier (no woods to chop) his starting wood ran out and his carpeter got a fey mood.

*FACEPALM*

I've never played on a glacier.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: [1] 2 3