Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven marathon  (Read 3866 times)

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven marathon
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 08:56:33 pm »

Yeah, don't kill them. Just make sure there are a few rabid beasts on the loose near the exit so it looks like an accident.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 10:58:59 am »

Also if goblins make it out of the gauntlet, you have to maintain integrity and let them go. Don't kill them.

I'll have to close my fortress off, otherwise my dorfs will immediately move out and start cleaning traps and such.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 07:06:44 pm »

Also if goblins make it out of the gauntlet, you have to maintain integrity and let them go. Don't kill them.

I'll have to close my fortress off, otherwise my dorfs will immediately move out and start cleaning traps and such.

d>b>f the traps, and set refuse options in the [ o ] menu to forbid bodies or something like that.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 08:41:06 pm »

Are you using any mods?  I'm seeing a lot of things I don't normally see in vanilla . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 04:39:02 am »

d>b>f the traps, and set refuse options in the [ o ] menu to forbid bodies or something like that.

No, because then I'll have to reclaim every single trap if I want to clean them, and same goes for the bodies. I don't want to designate em all for claim again. Best is just to close the gate and forbid any path to the refuse :)

Are you using any mods?  I'm seeing a lot of things I don't normally see in vanilla . . .

The only thing you see is Mayday's tileset.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 04:27:11 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1346-spiketest

Same bullshit all over. I linked every single spike to a lever, made the reset position retracted, and then let a goblin activate the pressure plate. The pressure plate first RETRACTS the ALREADY retracted spikes, then extends then. Thus resulting in the same old slow as hell spikes and the goblin gets away.

I think it may have to do with the fact that the pressure plate is still "attuned" to the old reset position. I'll redo the whole spike thing, hook em up to the lever, make sure they are all retracted, link them to the pressure plate and then test again. Gah, so annoying.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 07:56:59 am »

Maybe try putting the pressure plate a bit further back?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 11:08:28 am »

Never! The spikes must simply work properly. They should extend quickly, and then retract again. I'd rather replace the spikes with hatches to a 5z pit than put the plate further away!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:34 pm »

You could just get some dwarfs to randomly flick levers on and off.  Maybe the goblin would get luck with drinks and parties, though.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 06:01:35 pm »

If the plate activates the spikes too late all that does is ensure that there's only one winner - whoever reaches the plate first eliminates the competition

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 07:33:09 pm »

Or perhaps put it even earlier, and have it activate some slave powered repeaters (such as the former "champions" being redirected between doors and hitting an assortment of pressure plates along the way.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 05:39:10 am »

If the plate activates the spikes too late all that does is ensure that there's only one winner - whoever reaches the plate first eliminates the competition

That's why I added the gaps between each spike, so that there is a chance of the goblin getting out alive. I don't want a guaranteed winner.

Also, no Dwarves will be involved with this. It's a completely automatic goblin killing machine. Only cleaning and refuse hauling will be done.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 07:16:44 am »

I think that presure plates and spikes dont 'toggle', but have the on/off action that levers have:

Spikes start extened.

Stepping on a plate retracts them (or turning a lever 'on')

Stepping off a plate extends them (or pulling a lever 'off')

Wiki link here:http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Levers

So you might need dwarf computing to flip the signal from the pressure plate.

Then again, I am only just getting my head around pressure plates and levers etc.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:12 am »

I'll try it my way (attaching spikes to lever, reset em retracted, then link them to pressure plate) first .. and if that doesn't work.. Well... I think I'll have to live with it and change the pressure plate's location so it is timed right. I could also swap them for hatches and a pit, but that's an instant kill, which I'm against. The gauntlet must be painful and eventually fatal, but not instantly.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 12:36:27 pm »

I'll try it my way (attaching spikes to lever, reset em retracted, then link them to pressure plate) first .. and if that doesn't work.. Well... I think I'll have to live with it and change the pressure plate's location so it is timed right. I could also swap them for hatches and a pit, but that's an instant kill, which I'm against. The gauntlet must be painful and eventually fatal, but not instantly.
Nonsense, the pit is ony 2-3 levels, and just redirects them to an earlier part of the maze. So they go down it three or four times at least... assuming they make it back over the previous trap fields alive.
Pages: 1 2 [3]