Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven marathon  (Read 3869 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Dwarven marathon
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:44:38 am »

That's what I want to do:
Make a row of long, winding tunnels and bridges, all connected into a single way from "start" to "finish". Spice it up with random spear traps and waterflows chasing the would-be runner.
Variant 1. Put a lever at the finish and designate it to be pulled. Drop a civilian or noble at the start. See if he can get to the lever and escape by pulling it.
Variant 2. Add some monsters to be released when the runner crosses certain spots (a narrow bridge perhaps). Go through with a military dwarf.

The main problem is balancing the gauntlet. The dwarf should actually stand a chance, but not be guaranteed success even by having high speed. What can I do short of placing spike traps sparsely so that a dwarf would randomly step or not step on them?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:36:18 pm »

Falls of one to two levels should create nonfatal injuries pretty reliably, so there's another potential obstacle.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:01:57 pm »

Instead of creating a new thread, I'll make use of this dead one. It's almost the same, but instead of using dwarves, I use goblins. And instead of making it fair, I make it almost impossible for the goblins to get through. Anyone who does, however, is free to go.

Note: This is my first gauntlet, and I don't know whether I have too many goblins or too few traps... but we'll see after the first run.

First off, we start here. I initially designed this spiral as a vault for artifacts, but I couldn't get them to properly move around. I then turned it into the start of the gauntlet.

A few traps to start things off. Don't want to discourage them right away. Next up is a tiny "maze" where they are probably going to step in a few traps.

Small period of relief.

The pressure plate here unleashes two war dogs from their cages. Considering all the goblins are nude (I don't want a mess in my gauntlet, and corpses/bones degrade over time), two dogs should kill off a few goblins. The alley up next is to poke some more holes into them, not too much.

Intermission..

The last room, and probably the nastiest. The first one to reach the pressure plate is free to live his life again, albeit nude. The pressure plate triggers all the spikes, and anyone unlucky enough to be caught in them .. well.. ouch.

Salvation! .. If they manage to get through.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »

Well now that's pretty sweet.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:35:38 pm »

How about a Cat Dash?

The caged threats are released and are lured by the tethered cats, if they survive the fun treats on the way, they may be the first few entities that get their prize.
They'll get caged, and will live ( for now ) , the others go to the rigged lures, because the safe ones are occupied, and fall to their death.

How about a Drowning Run?

Entities are sent into a pit, seeing that the only chance of escape is by climbing a tower, filled with treats.
During their flight, they'll activate the main feature, and the pit will start flooding, and this is when the treats are utilized, for more than one reason.
Said treats are only used to incapacitate, or to further endanger the escapees, so that they'll drown, or combust in lava, and whenever an entity goes up a level, that level will consequentially start flooding.

The only way to live is to escape the flooding pit, or get launched into a secret cage trap niche.
The many ways to die is to get incapacitated ( and drown ) , die from the treats, start up a fight, get bridge-apulted into the raising tides ( which will force everyone one else to take the long way ) , set free some dogs, and any other feature you can create.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:57:12 pm by Foa »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:36:10 pm »

... I'm pretty sure the goblins won't even mess with your traps, they will path around them as far as I know.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:41:37 pm »

We'll find out then, shall we? I'm sure they can't possibly path around them as I'll release about 15 of em. I'm positive they'll run into traps.

These guys are lucky they're going to test out the gauntlet. The next bunch probably won't be as lucky  ;D

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:58:17 pm »

I just hope my two suggests/themes get used. ( Look at Spoiler, if you don't read the previous posts. )

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »

Salvation! .. If they manage to get through.

Hmm... needs a cage trap just a couple tiles outside, so that you get the oppritunity for repeat performances of your cxhampions.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 02:22:35 pm »

I just hope my two suggests/themes get used. ( Look at Spoiler, if you don't read the previous posts. )

I have no clue what you mean with the first theme.. cats? Treats?

As for the second.. I'm in a desert. No magma has been found, and fresh water is a precious commodity. So no dice :P

Anyway, I had two survivors in this run, from the 15 goblins. The first one to make it out was a master thief. He ran like the freaking wind, dodged traps, triggered quite a few but escaped with "only" a mangled arm and shoulder and he just kept on running, even when a dog took a chunk out of him. The other one was a crossbowgoblin with a badly injured lower body (OUCH), stomache and a somewhat bruised kidney. The rest died.

The goblins triggered a lot of traps, but unfortunately I made them too weak. I put one spear in every one of them and that's usually enough to cripple or injure someone, it doesn't kill them that easily.. not to mention the damn traps lock up quite often.

One goblin was caught in a cage, 5 goblins died in traps, 2 escaped and the dogs mauled 7 goblins, although they're pretty horribly injured now. No one was hurt in the spike traps as no one got that far, apart from the two survivors.

The spiral is interesting, but it seperates them too much. If they were all bunched up, they'd push each other into the traps. Now they all ran in 'somewhat' the same path.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 03:29:02 pm »

I have made a few modifications.

First off, I made the starting point in the first room, where there is plenty of room. The goblins will then "flood" out. They're immediately met by a row of traps with whips. They don't kill, but they sure hurt  ;D

I've placed a lot more traps in the direct path, and beefed a few traps up with an extra spike. These are mostly traps at the start.

There is now only one dog, and he's directly in front of an entrance.

Before entering the area of all the spikey spikes, they'll run over a pressure plate. Since I noticed that the spikes first retract and then extend (for some reason), the pressure plate engages.. spikes retract.. and hopefully the timing is just about right for the goblins to walk over and get smudged. Since it's a lot more lethal now, I'm wondering whether they will actually get out. Fat chance!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

I have to try this

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile