Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Modelling a Global Supply/Demand Economy (Please!)  (Read 14503 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling a Global Supply/Demand Economy (Please!)
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2009, 05:59:48 pm »

I honestly think it would be more like some tweaks under the hood from the perspective of most users.  They'd interact with it three times per year, and some players might need to reign in particular egregious strategies of overproduction, but given the game specifically wants you to produce individual items of clothes for your dwarves so they can replace clothing as particular pieces wear out, this is actually less micromanagement than that (since you get specific information on what types of goods are currently 'short' in the world market from traders, not having to keep checking your stocks to see if you need more dresses or mittens). ... Basically, its less of a hassle than some things the game already wants you to do, and more rewarding than those things as well.  (At least, I don't find having to specifically order socks, trousers, and hoods particularly rewarding).

These are among your more interesting (and succinct) arguments in this thread. If what you're suggesting really is only some relatively minor aspects, or something that can be turned off, then sure (and is already in the dev notes). So, is that really the case?

--------------------------------------------

@Granite about nasty watering holes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Squirrel about discussions:

About why people respond in an confrontational way

About scientific stances and current scientific thinking

About non-programmers making claims about programming

About hand-waiving
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling a Global Supply/Demand Economy (Please!)
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]