Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Use for instruments  (Read 1599 times)

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
Use for instruments
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:41:49 am »

I suggest that a skill is made based off music-making. People high in this stat (being called bards) would play music for other dwarves, giving them a happy thought. A building called a stage would allow people to practice a preform, and people "on break" would go listen to preformances. If the person preforming isn't a normal music-maker, people get negative thoughts from listening to the bard, causing him to also get a thought. Possibility of making people who have entered a melancoly could aslo become sane again if they are listening to a Grand Master or higher music-maker.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Use for instruments
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:29 pm »

Musicians/performance has been discussed multiple times, as has use for other trinkets such as toys.

Still needs to happen, though.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:13:07 pm »

Two seconds in wikipedia would suggest that bards aren't actually really musicians. I'd prefer calling the job class Musician really

Question is, should music be strictly a career ordered by the omnipotent overlord? I don't agree with Toady's notion that engravers should have absolute artistic freedom but he seems to think it's mind control. How about this then? Should the player be able to force a dwarf to play an instrument?

Now, this would be really unreliable gameplay-wise but I think people should only play if they like an instrument. Whether they want to publicly perform should be affected by their personality. Loners aren't gonna want to go play in a party even if you want the happy thoughts. Should you be able to treat his artistic tendencies as just another resource akin to a waterfall in the dining room, overriding his desires entirely? I'm surprised if they'd play it for their lover at home. That'd actually be pretty cute

So yeah, what measure is mind control?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:26:06 pm »

Bards often played music... but I think that was just part of their craft

I think Bards were Poets and story tellers... and Dungeons and Dragons were the first ones I can think of to turn them dirrectly into musicians by having all their Bardic abilities be done through Song or playing. (though I think it was unintentional)

Though I have no idea.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:29:20 pm by Neonivek »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:56:18 pm »

Question is, should music be strictly a career ordered by the omnipotent overlord? I don't agree with Toady's notion that engravers should have absolute artistic freedom but he seems to think it's mind control. How about this then? Should the player be able to force a dwarf to play an instrument?

Now, this would be really unreliable gameplay-wise but I think people should only play if they like an instrument. Whether they want to publicly perform should be affected by their personality. Loners aren't gonna want to go play in a party even if you want the happy thoughts. Should you be able to treat his artistic tendencies as just another resource akin to a waterfall in the dining room, overriding his desires entirely? I'm surprised if they'd play it for their lover at home. That'd actually be pretty cute

So yeah, what measure is mind control?

The same way that the overlord can order a dwarf to smooth and engrave stone (through job preferences), the overlord should be able to order music. It would be a job, like engraving, and they would go on-break for it and such. Hopefully the system would be detailed enough that they would be able to sing about things, and the overlord wouldn't be able to control that. Then, dwarves could get thoughts based on the song and whether they liked it or not (so, a musician singing about purring maggots would give negative thoughts to dwarves who hated purring maggots).

If you were talking about musicians playing in their free time, though, I'd agree that that should be a dwarf-controlled activity. I would also probably expand that into storytelling and such, and have it be something that a dwarf with the right personality would do (friendly, likes crowds, etc.), regardless of whether they had a particular fondness for an instrument. If they did, though, they might demand that instrument to play on.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:59:14 pm »

Wouldn't mind if engraving took some artistic knack

Just saying, maybe dwarves who end up as musicians should actually like the instrument instead of being mind controlled into performing because Armok wants +3 happiness in the dining room
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:01:17 pm by Pilsu »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:19:31 am »

I think musical instruments, atleast many of them, could fall under the same aegis as the crossbow: namely, that you can hit things with them, for fun and profit.

Sure you can play music on them, and that's important--but not more important than cracking the occasional skull with an +aluminum zither+.
For they would be your masters.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:29:47 pm »

I think musical instruments, atleast many of them, could fall under the same aegis as the crossbow: namely, that you can hit things with them, for fun and profit.

Sure you can play music on them, and that's important--but not more important than cracking the occasional skull with an +aluminum zither+.
!!Rock Instruments!!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:09:15 pm »

Remalle throws the *Horrible play on words*!!!

The *Horrible play on words* strikes Barbarossa in the eyes!

It explodes into gore!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 07:32:29 am »

I'ld rather set up a dance hall, then when musicians play idle dwarves will come and dance! dance! dance!

Dancing can be skill, and will boost agility and strength.

Legendary Dancers could cross train to the military.

Also Legendary musicians could interupt battles and compel every one to dance! 

Bronze collossus cancels ripping recruit to scraps.  Bronze collossus does the mashed plump helmet
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 11:25:08 am »

Music would be good. A music hall would be good. Also a use for the *on break* action, could be a subaction of practising/listening/dancing to music amongst other things. Humans and other dwarves could form travelling bands. I would love to see, "Othlonds Burbandsy, The rolling stones" and the elves could play music that the dwarves would hate
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:19 am »

Dwarven parades would be cool for late fortresses:
I can imagine the fort's best Swordsdwarf marching down the tunnel holding a Goblin Skull Totem decorated with green glass and the bones and shells of thieves, lobsters and fish. The military and exotic animals follow behind him while Limestone Flutes and Copper gongs play along...

It might be fun to watch, but if done wrong, it could be the military equivalent of "Attend Party"
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 12:35:30 pm »

Dwarves party so often anyway, having a musician or two around for those would fit in perfectly.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »

this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 12:05:34 am »

Bards often played music... but I think that was just part of their craft

I think Bards were Poets and story tellers...

Perhaps 'Bard' will be a compound class (for lack of a better word), similar to 'Farmer' and the like. Specifically, I'd imagine Bard would be a combination of 'Musician', 'Poet', and any other related jobs.

And while I'm talking... Artists?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Pages: [1] 2