Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is this the right place? Hello!  (Read 1288 times)

dubradditz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this the right place? Hello!
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:10:16 am »

Hi!  I'm a long time fan of this game who just got back into.  After finally now getting over the learning curve, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, so I wanted to join you all here and discuss one of the most time consuming games of all time.  I hope this is the right board to do these on (?) , but hello, I'm dubradditz, nice to meet you! :D

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the right place? Hello!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:54:15 am »

Hey its a new immigrant! Welcome to our fort, may I ask what your proffesion is? *takes a step towards a lever*
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:35 am »

I sure hope you're not purple, friend
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:18:15 am »

Welcome to the Forums! Yes this is the right place to make a topic like this.  :)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:28:16 am »

This is definitely the wrong forum to talk about DF.

dubradditz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:44:49 am »

Thanks!  Unfourtunatly, I probably would be puprle cause I'm a student!  And thanks for the welcome.  Tis a good game.  I actually started like taking screen shots and chronicling the tales of the fortress, and while it's a slower process I find i enjoy the game so much more, as you get more into the lives of the dwarfs and such.  But that aside, glad to be here.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »

Purple, eh?
Would you kindly pull this lever while I run for my life and lock the door?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 03:55:23 pm »

Welcome, I'm new here myself but this forum is nice. Apart from everyone wants to put you in a magma pit via crude contraptions involving levers and dwarves with pyromaniac tendencies.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 04:01:47 pm »

Don't forget the socks.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 04:19:13 pm »

I always think of Students as being like Peasants. They do simple stuff until they get enough ranks in a real profession to get a better title.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 04:21:39 pm »

I always think of Students as being like Peasants. They do simple stuff until they get enough ranks in a real profession to get a better title.

I make my peasants into soldiers, so here newcomer *hands dubradditz a wooden sword* go and kill those unicorns over there.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »

I make my peasants into soldiers, so here newcomer *hands dubradditz a wooden sword* go and kill those unicorns over there.

And for a second I thought that I was the only one who got rid of my peasents that way.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

dubradditz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 08:13:13 pm »

Nah, I already learned my lesson about dealing with unicorns.  Side note:  Apparently you can wrestle fire imps without damage.  Who knew?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 08:58:35 pm »

And for a second I thought that I was the only one who got rid of my peasents that way.

Get RID of them? I recruit them, train them, and send them to swamp goblins.

Or they go into the cleanup force, picking up things the goblins drop and tossing them in a hole, and stacking the bodies up to rot.
And then sorting through this mysterious pile of goblin equipment.

Or gain an actual skill by way of natural selection; if they consistently get to the smelter, furnace, or construction project first, they gain a title, get promoted and taken off constant hauling.
Or in the case of one poor female dwarf, stuck into a small room adjacent to the bone stockpile and told to make bone bolts on repeat, no matter whether the workshop's empty or she's up to her ears in crossbow bolts.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 09:11:43 pm »

I make my peasants into soldiers, so here newcomer *hands dubradditz a wooden sword* go and kill those carp over there.
That way, you know those peseants aren't coming back, unless their AMAZING!
Pages: [1] 2