Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Configurable Noble Arrivals  (Read 735 times)

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Configurable Noble Arrivals
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:39:22 pm »

I think it would be awesome to be able to set at least the population at which certain nobles will arrive. Some people run DF with a population cap, and sometimes that's necessitated by lag increases as you get more and more dwarves. For example, to stay around 100fps, I've limited my population to 50 in my latest fort, but would still love to get the economy (I'm one of the weird people that like it) and maybe even the king. Setting that in the init files would be totally awesome.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Configurable Noble Arrivals
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:30:56 pm »

Maybe the ability to request a noble early... after all, very few people would be suicidal enough to do it.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:14:24 am »

It make more sense for the nobility to be tied to Created Wealth instead of population.  I would actually enjoy getting the buggers to come out to my 30 population fort's dunking booth.

I think goblin attacks should be tied to exported wealth.  If your not exporting then the goblins shouldn't really know your there.

Both could have population as secondary triggering mechanisms.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:24:30 am »

It make more sense for the nobility to be tied to Created Wealth instead of population.  I would actually enjoy getting the buggers to come out to my 30 population fort's dunking booth.

I think goblin attacks should be tied to exported wealth.  If your not exporting then the goblins shouldn't really know your there.

Both could have population as secondary triggering mechanisms.

I know civs have (for the purposes of trade/invasion) tags for triggers based on wealth and population, but these are measured in basic integers of 1, 2, 3, etc. - usually 2 is the max, 1 is the minimum.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:17:29 am »

Yeah, a little bit of modding will make it so that goblins will only arrive from exported wealth, doesn't run on that specific of a system though, being only able to set integers between 1 and 5 that represent much larger jumps.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.