Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: BlindQuest: Hope is Lost (Succession Game)  (Read 4926 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: BlindQuest: Hope is Lost (Succession Game)
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2009, 01:40:00 pm »

Speaking of which.  Are you ok Time Kitten?

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:31 pm »

Are we skipping time kitten, since he hasnt replied in 7 days?
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2009, 11:00:54 am »

:-\  Ok......sure.  Next up!

....obscurequote!

I'll alright, last active friday.  That's ok.  Make sure to tell us you got the save (which is on page 3) when you start.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:08:02 am by ToonyMan »

obscurequote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2009, 07:03:01 pm »

I'm on it. My internet access is going to be limited for the next few days, so my turn will probably be one big post. I'll do my best to make things interesting.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33:03 am »

Won't be hard.   ;)

obscurequote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2009, 12:09:56 pm »

Year Four of Blindquest!

Journal of Alath Nilshetbeth, weaponsmith and holy prophet of Armok

Spring

1 Granite

He who fights with vile forces of darkness should make sure they don't become vile forces of darkness, and if you gaze too long into the chasm, the chasm begins to gaze back into you.

I have lived at Blindquest for almost a year. I have seen my comrades fall, my fellow dwarves suffer, and we live each day in constant fear that the orcs will find us. Not a day goes by that I hear someone ask "Why? Why has so terrible fate befallen us?"

I know why. It is because our enemies are strong, and we have grown weak.

I have brought my child into the world in these dark times, and I swear to Armok, god of blood, that I will build him a better tomorrow.

It has been revealed to me that our current leader, Ast, is unfit for leadership. We have no wood or metal to make weapons, undead abominations lurk above our heads, and our enemies will be upon us any day. And he sits in sloth and decadence. It is time for me to take my rightful place as leader. If he is wise, he will stay out of my way.

My first decree is to open up the Depot. Only if the wagons can get through do we have a chance at gaining precious trade goods and raw materials. Hopefully I'll be able to clear up some of the monstrosities on the surface in the process.

If my plan is to succeed, the gate must be opened and the creatures must be faced. There is no turning back.

Victory!

My own dear husband rushed into battle with his arm broken. I tell the others they would do well to follow his example.

19 Granite

Some elves arrived. They ran into some skeletal wolves. Elves are weak. Wolves are strong. Dwarves are stronger. They brought some wood; if we can drive away the wolves, or if they leave of their own accord, that will be invaluable.

In unrelated news, the stray cat wandering our fortress has been started shadowing my young son. He spoke his first words today, calling out "Lokum Cerollerom". I think this is supposed to be the cat's name. I will consider letting the animal live.

24 Granite

I'm taking a chance and ordering select goods that the elves brought- wood, some berries, and some sweet, sweet alchohol- brought into the fortress. The wolves still lurk, but I'm confident in our warriors.

2 Slate

THE BEASTS! THE HORROR! MAY ARMOK CONSUME THEIR SOULS IN FLAME FOR ALL OF TIME!

Running out to assist my fellow dwarves, I was suddenly set upon by one of the beasts! I tried to shield my son, but he was struck before my husband rushed to our rescue. His leg lies bleeding and mangled. Oh, will my poor son ever walk? Curses upon you, cruel world!

2 Felsite

We finally have some beds. I decided to make it top priority so my poor Kogan could recover from his injury. The miner Solon and the fish dissector Obok have, inexplicably, decided to throw a party. Normally I wouldn't allow such a sinful display of decadence, but in these trying times, a little morale-boosting is in order.

26 Felsite

A bad month. While attempting to bring supplies indoors, the miner Solon was rather grievously injured. It is still unknown if he will recover. Also, as if my poor Kogan's young life wasn't difficult enough, his beloved cat was trampled by the vicious monsters. My only consolation is that if he lives to see adulthood, these tragedies will make him strong.

Summer

3 Hematite

We are lacking in materials, forays unto the surface are dangerous (although no longer lethal), and the caravan won't arrive until early autumn at the earliest. I have decided to try to break through the aquifer. Make Armok bless me.

24 Galena

Success! I took all summer, but we have a safe passage to the lower levels. The search for ores begins- if we find a vein of coal, we will be truly blessed.

Autumn

3 Limestone

I have no idea what the area to the south of our water reservoir was meant for. I've asked all the other dwarves, and no one seems to know. Everyone seems to think it was somebody else's idea. In an act of leadership, I've ordered the entire thing engraved. The glory of our achievements can be carved into the stone itself.

6 Limestone

There is another aquifer below the first! It will take all of my ingenuity and faith to make my way through.

15 Limestone

The caravan has arrived! Supplies! Praise be to Armok!

20 Limestone

Our engraver, Sibrek, created this. I ordered him to focus on more uplifting works that emphasized Armok's glory. He told me to shove it. I'll have to keep an eye on him.

10 Sandstone

I... I don't know what's going on... I went outside an... I'm not sure... my arm hurts... and my Kogan... my poor Kogan... My husband says that the trading went well... That's good... I'm not worried... Armok will save me...

11 Sandstone

I lie, incapacitated, with a broken arm. If I could exterminate those foul beasts from the face of the earth, I would. Alas, I must stay here and tend to my wound- and to those of my poor son. He lies crying day and night, his left arm in ruins and his right leg in little better shape. I must constantly tell myself that what doesn't kill him will only make him stronger in order to avoid complete despair.

I've ordered Obok to take over mining duties, and to inform me if and when any immigrants arrive. Although we've avoided any deaths, myself and the miner cannot work, and we are terribly short on labor.

More degenerate artwork. Sibrek's days are numbered.

24 Sandstone

They think just because I'm bedridden, they can slack off! No progress has been made whatsoever on the aquifer progress, and I can hear snoring in the rooms next to mine! They'll get what's coming to them, oh yes...

28 Sandstone

There's some commotion on the first floor. Apparently a skeletal elk made its way in, wrecked some havoc, blah blah blah. The lazy bums have no sympathy from me.

11 Timber

Immigrants arrive, seven of them. Four of them are killed by the skeletal monsters roaming the surface. It's a good weeding out process, I think. Now among our ranks is a miner, a planter, and two peasants. The miner is pretty upset over the two puppies he brought out here being killed, but he'll get over it and get to work.

Winter

1 Moonstone

My wounds have healed, and little Kogan seems to be improving a little.

12 Moonstone

At last, the aquifer has been broken through! Praise Armok (for real this time)!

5 Obsidian

My little Kogan is growing up... hopefully his wounds will heal, and he can go on to become a strong, valiant dwarf like his mother.

28 Obsidian

I have decided to move back from my rule of the fortress, at least for now. I must tend to my child and spend more time meditating on the glory of Armok, and adminstrative duties quite honestly bore me. It was a harsh year, but life is harsh, and only with faith in Armok will we win our battles! Praise Armok!

-

Time for year four!

Notes for future rulers:

Keep track of Kogan. In the first year of his life, he was assaulted TWICE by skeletal elk and lost the pet kitten he had just adopted. His father is a champion axedwarf and his mother is (apparently) an insane prophet of Armok. He's going to grow up to be either the most badass dwarf ever, completely fucked up, or both.

Keep the door next to the Depot shut unless you need to go out.

If you turn the "dwarves cannot go outside" option on, then they won't be able to go down the stairway through the aquifer, since I had to make it "outside" in order to freeze the water.

Good luck, next ruler. After three years, we have a fortress with sixteen dwarves, no artifacts, and a room full of coffins. Here are the end year statistics:

And here's the save.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2009, 01:27:20 pm »

My little digging foray into the south was done in an attempt to make a well. Little did I know, we didn't have any rope. Curses!

Good turn. I wish the next ruler (I'm too lazy to check who it is :P) good luck.

You'll need it. :D
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2009, 01:37:54 pm »

I love stories like this, barely holding onto life.  It's quite refreshing.   :)

Boksi!  Year 4!

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2009, 02:55:01 pm »

Can I sign up for this?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »

Sure Katsuun.

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2009, 02:56:05 pm »

boksi isnt replying... been over a week.
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2009, 05:05:09 pm »

Alright, once a week goes by with no response then you have offically skipped your turn.

That means that (name here) is up next, make sure to reply.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2009, 01:13:23 pm »

I'm going off for a week, so i can't do it. you'll have to skip me.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2009, 01:56:16 pm »

Alright, next up in line is Vieto.

Make sure to reply.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2009, 04:50:40 pm »

I'll need a couple of days to finish the current sucession turn I'm doing, but otherwise, I am confirming that I know it is my turn.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7