Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will dwarves notice a waterfall through windows?  (Read 1837 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Will dwarves notice a waterfall through windows?
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:01:56 am »

I've got my glass tower fortress going nice and steady, and even though it's not quite so tall yet (only 7 floors high or so), i'm thinking of skipping ahead in my designs, to my artificial waterfall.

basically the idea is to have a pump tower up through the center of my tower, and have water cascade over the roof and down the walls (which are made of windows). but will dwarves get the associated happy thoughts if the falling water in on the other side of a window? i know they can see enemies, will they see my waterfall?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will dwarves notice a waterfall through windows?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:20:53 am »

Good question, I'd like to know, too. They obviously will not get happy thoughts from the mist, but if noticing the waterfall is in any way related to that, I don't know.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:21:33 am »

Nope. Only one getting happy thoughts is you.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:28:19 am »

hmm, reading up on it and it's the -mist- they like huh?

does that mean they only get happy thoughts from wherever the waterfall lands? or does falling water leave mist in the air as it falls? could I do the same thing I was planning except not build the windows?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:11 am »

Dwarves like to feel the mist, not actually stare at the waterfall itself, IIRC.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:34:56 am »

does that mean they only get happy thoughts from wherever the waterfall lands? or does falling water leave mist in the air as it falls? could I do the same thing I was planning except not build the windows?

Falling water produces the mist, not the landing of it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:38:50 am »

Dwarves like to feel the mist, not actually stare at the waterfall itself, IIRC.
Falling water produces the mist, not the landing of it.
do they have to touch the mist to get the thought?
does the mist spread outward from where the water falls? if so how far? or does a dwarf actually have to walk through a waterfall to enjoy it?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:43:30 am »

Dwarves get happy thoughts from walking through mist, they need to "touch" it. edit: and the mist spreads a few tiles from the falling water tile. It's hard to tell how far exactly, but it's safe to say they can stand next to the actual waterfall to feel the mist.

BUT, and that's why I posted in this thread, I'm pretty sure I looked at a dwarf's thoughts and read "admired a beautiful waterfall recently", and I believe that comes from actually looking at a waterfall, no?

That's why I ask if this is related to the mist thing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:45:21 am by Puck »

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:46:03 am »

I have seen mist fall about 3-4 tiles from the source of the falling water. If you want, there is video of a working waterfall system in my fort Clockworks. Just follow the link in my sig to the maps, and there will be a link to the movie on the left hand sidebar.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:48:48 am »

Replace your windows with vertical bars, perhaps?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:30:56 am »

or wall grates.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 11:32:45 am »

I doubt flood makes the dwarves happy.

DO IT!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:45 pm »

My most sucessfull waterfall felll in the middle of my statue park, in a chokepoint of my fortress. Dwarves could not avoid it.. they get wet but get quite happy at the same time. The water fell on a 5x5 area, surrounded by floor grates. 5x5 because i noticed that if the area the water fall on and "disperse" is bigger, there is much more mist produced (so more dwarves are hit). The floor grates drained the water to a pump that sent it back into the river.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 02:57:17 pm »

How large of a area of floor-grates are required to drain the output of a 1-pump waterfall? Will a 1-tile grate drain it as quickly as it falls, or will it flood? If it would flood, what are the dimensions of an adequate grate-drain?

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 05:49:09 pm »

No, it won't flood, but waterfalls are not neat and tidy. When I did this in my old dining hall [v.39c], there was some splashing (1-depth or 2-depth water falling to the side instead of straight through the grate). I'm pretty sure evaporation will take care of the splashes, but it bothered me to see it anyway.

I would have to recommend that your grates cover all 8 tiles that surround your 1-tile waterfall. Water has a tendency to splash around and if the waterfall isn't completely surrounded, you'll get little pools of water.

Pages: [1] 2