Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Age of Empires II  (Read 4513 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires II
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:59 pm »

Not really

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 11:20:51 pm »

I love the Goths. If you can get a friend to help defend your base (someone playing Byzantines, for instance) while you supplement their army with your infantry, the two of you will be unstoppable.

Why would the Byzantine Empire defend a bunch of pagan barbarains?

I know multiplayer have little RP, but there has to be standards right?
Hey, Rome teamed up with the Visigoths to take the Huns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chalons

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:12 am »

My family LOVED this game.  Used to play it against dad + uncle all the time, until they stopped letting me play.  When your opponents are obsessed with huge pop caps, but they don't have the reflexes for the hotkeys, it's very painful for them.

Not as bad as AoE1 though, boy it was fun having a hundred horse archers, or a hundred ballista in that.  AoE2 kind of nerfed massive one-unit forces which is good.

I don't know, armies of throwing axemen can kill pretty much everything if you plan it properly.
My elite longbowmen laugh at your pathetic axes.

Seriously, a force of 40 or so longbows is nigh invincible in AoK. Paladins and hussars alike fall before them, and onagers can't get close enough to get a shot. Elite skirmishers work in theory, but there's never enough room on the battlefield to fit all the skirmishers you need. It takes combined arms and a lot of micro to deal with massed longbows.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:23:55 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 10:47:24 am »

greatest RTS game ever. the korean kids at school will now attack me for disrespecting Starcraft. multiplayer gets boring at the imperial age though.

playing multiplayer games with special rules is the best way to play once your tired with ordinary play. my personal favourites are:

- One player can only produce villagers, therefore the best form of defense is buldings. the other player can only get up to the castle age and can only have a total of 20 military units  and 10 boats on the map.

- Norman Conquest: can only advance to the feudal age.

- Once both teams get enough resources to advance to the next age, there must be an epic battle at a battleground chosen by the players. amount of military units depend on the age the players are upgrading to:
Dark age -> Feudal age: 25 men
Feudal age -> Castle age: 75 men
Castle age -> Imperial age: 100 men
Epic Final Battle: 200 men. this means you will have to slaughter all your villagers in order to train your final units.
the winner of the epic final battle will then be able to pillage the other teams helpless towns as a form of gloating.

-Naval Assault: the only units allowed outside your town walls are villagers scouting for resources. you can only attack the enemy by sea, even if they can easily be reached on foot. foot soldiers can only reach the enemy on board a transport ship.

suggestions for more challenges please!

Mechanized Assault: Everything that fits into a battering ram is required to be transported inside a battering ram or a transport ship unless within close proximity of the target. Skirmish won but rams detroyed? Army is stranded there untill you can build new vehicles to pick them up. Want to expand to nearby gold/stone mine? Better build some villager carrying tanks. Mesoamerican civilizations only for obvious reasons.

Counterattack. 2 humans VS 6 computers. Humans capture a small area(between thier starting towns and outwards to the map edge from there for example). Humans are not allowed outside their area unless they are attacking enemy siege weapons. Attemp to hold out untill the AI runs out of resources(relics don't count) and then try to eradicate their now vulnerable towns across a completely barren wasteland.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 12:52:09 pm »

Would LAN work through Hamachi?
And would anyone be interested in playing online?

Orange Drink

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 01:26:48 am »

Mechanized Assault: Everything that fits into a battering ram is required to be transported inside a battering ram or a transport ship unless within close proximity of the target. Skirmish won but rams detroyed? Army is stranded there untill you can build new vehicles to pick them up. Want to expand to nearby gold/stone mine? Better build some villager carrying tanks. Mesoamerican civilizations only for obvious reasons.

one fatal flaw: your villagers can't move outside of where they spawn at the start of the game and therefor can't get any resources to advance to the castle age, which you need to advance to in order to get your tanks. and why not anything but mesoamericans? these are special rules, so you could just say "no cavalry".

Would LAN work through Hamachi?
And would anyone be interested in playing online?

i do. i never played it online, and would like to spread my challenge modes to people other than my family.

so, i picked up the disc and played it for the first time in years. i just realised that i suck. mabye it's because of my defensive attitude, and the fact that using random races, i always get the mayans and my brother always gets the goths.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 05:29:25 am »

I'll play, but with none of these special rules. I want a straight AoK game where anything goes, feudal rush included.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 06:15:19 am »

Pft. Flusher.

Yeah, I had alot of fun with AoE II, made alot of custom maps and I enjoyed the free online play that Zone.com provided way back when.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 11:56:25 am »

My elite longbowmen laugh at your pathetic axes.

Seriously, a force of 40 or so longbows is nigh invincible in AoK. Paladins and hussars alike fall before them, and onagers can't get close enough to get a shot. Elite skirmishers work in theory, but there's never enough room on the battlefield to fit all the skirmishers you need. It takes combined arms and a lot of micro to deal with massed longbows.

My Huskarl spam laughs at all ranged weaponry. Level 4 Pierce armor for the win. Of course, the lack of decent walls makes cavalry something of a difficulty, but really, once I'm building two huskarls a second from a stray barracks near the enemy base, it's pretty much over.

I've always liked AoE 2, though I suppose I should create some online tactics. Nobody I know will play me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:04:11 pm by Haven »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 12:02:32 pm »

*All* ranged weaponry? You've never run into massed Korean Siege Onagers, have you?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 12:05:46 pm »

I've never considered the expansion civs (Huns, Koreans, etc) to be very valid, if only because they make all the originals look like gimpy nobodies.

Case in point, Huns don't need houses, period. Rushing doesn't get better than that, and rushing is how you play the fucking game.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 12:33:24 pm »

Actually, the expansion civs are pretty well balanced. If you want proof, let's play a game, you pick Huns or whichever x-pack civ you want and I'll take some original civ like Byzantines or Turks and you'll see you're wrong.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 03:33:58 pm »

*All* ranged weaponry? You've never run into massed Korean Siege Onagers, have you?

Onagers? Assuming they're firing with enough power to hit before they can move, I'm not sure. I'm fairly sure I haven't come across any Siege Onagers, Korean or otherwise. They can, however, survive a few direct shots from your average magonel, in my experience...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2009, 12:22:30 pm »

one fatal flaw: your villagers can't move outside of where they spawn at the start of the game and therefor can't get any resources to advance to the castle age, which you need to advance to in order to get your tanks. and why not anything but mesoamericans? these are special rules, so you could just say "no cavalry".

For exactly that purpose we counted the nearest gold/stone mine as part of the starting town and villagers are free to move towards it. Or we played on maps like Arena.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2009, 07:00:29 pm »

Ok, I finally found one of my CDs; who wants to play a Mechanical Assault match?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4