Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Age of Empires II  (Read 4500 times)

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Empires II
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:21:11 pm »

Is this game any good? I got the Gold version on a whim with a $50 USD gift card from Best Buy. The other thing I got was C&C First Decade.

I've never played any of the Age of Empires, and the closest thing I could imagine that I know would be Rise of Nations.

So what's the story on Age of Empires II?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires II
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:26:00 pm »

It's fantastic. It's absolutely one of the best RTS games that I've ever played. Stop reading what I'm saying and go play it.

No, really.

Now.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:35:16 am »

Its fun too the point where you end up overplaying it.
Me and my friend both played it across a LAN constantly for about two months, we were both turtlers so it ended up as a game where there were no more resources except trees and whoever has the most farms wins. Constantly building farms is not fun...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:37:50 am »

Fantastic RTS, simple yet adicting. I loved to play it with my friend, and the campaings aren't too bad either, but it seems to get annoying on you if your graphic card isn't as old as the game.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:08:47 am »

What  can I say that those ^ three haven't said already. GO PLAY IT NOW!
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Orange Drink

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 01:22:19 am »

greatest RTS game ever. the korean kids at school will now attack me for disrespecting Starcraft. multiplayer gets boring at the imperial age though.

playing multiplayer games with special rules is the best way to play once your tired with ordinary play. my personal favourites are:

- One player can only produce villagers, therefore the best form of defense is buldings. the other player can only get up to the castle age and can only have a total of 20 military units  and 10 boats on the map.

- Norman Conquest: can only advance to the feudal age.

- Once both teams get enough resources to advance to the next age, there must be an epic battle at a battleground chosen by the players. amount of military units depend on the age the players are upgrading to:
Dark age -> Feudal age: 25 men
Feudal age -> Castle age: 75 men
Castle age -> Imperial age: 100 men
Epic Final Battle: 200 men. this means you will have to slaughter all your villagers in order to train your final units.
the winner of the epic final battle will then be able to pillage the other teams helpless towns as a form of gloating.

-Naval Assault: the only units allowed outside your town walls are villagers scouting for resources. you can only attack the enemy by sea, even if they can easily be reached on foot. foot soldiers can only reach the enemy on board a transport ship.

suggestions for more challenges please!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 01:28:25 am »

Awesome awesome fun. But I overplayed it and I can;t bring myself to go back, not after I discovered total war. What can I say? I'm not smart enough to get really good at AOE II and total war really scratches my world domination itch.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 06:29:03 am »

Wait, just AoE II or did it it also include the expansion pack? The expansion is a must have because it improves a lot on the management of the economy.

Anyway, it's an awesome game, right up there with Starcraft.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:02:10 am »

It sucks.

No seriously, what's so great about it?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:12:33 am »

Nothing, if you don't like RTS-es.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:22:24 am »

How does Age of Empires III compare to Age of Empires II?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 07:25:54 am »

It sucks. Not as bad as Age of Mythology, but it's still nowhere near being a worthy successor to AoE II.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:36:28 pm »

I learned a lot about history in AOE...

Hey, Naval Assualt sounds like fun, if I find my old CD there should be an Age of DF game.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:47:38 pm »

Welp, just got back from playing 5-6 hours and this is a great game. I've now come to understand why people still continue to play this game. I enjoy it more than Starcraft.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 02:40:06 pm »

GAH! Curses! This makes me so angry that you all bring this up! Lost my CD a long time ago and never forgave myself for loosing it. :(

Eh, not that buying another CD should cost too much but still... I'm broke well for now. I suggest that if you get bored at playing normal games you up the difficulty with CPUs, most I could ever get to was hard and most of the time I would lose against them. Them because I swear on a seven civ map all the CPUs would align against me!

Either way it's still fun, especially with all the cheat codes, well atleast fun cheat codes.

Aegis
I love the monkey head
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4