Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: "Sneaking" PC games.  (Read 8549 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
"Sneaking" PC games.
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:04 pm »

I've aways been into games that have some form of "sneaking" in them, and that allow you to play most of the game that way, without nescessarily having to fight every single enemy you come across, and suddenly, after playing Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines for the 4rth time, i ask you: Do you guys know of any good PC game that involves sneaking around, avoiding enemies and doing stealth kills?

You don't have to say thief or deus ex, cause i played both already :x, yes, all of the thief series. Looking for something new.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Sneaking" PC games.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »

There's Trilby: The Art of Theft.

It's pretty fun. It's two dimensional.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:09:39 pm »

Sounds like fun :o, i'll try that. Keep posting though, i've been craving a game like this for a while now D:
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »

Sniper Elite is sneaky, but it also has realistic bullet ballistics so it might be too much.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:54:52 pm »

As much as I hate ubisoft and even more so Tom Clancy, I have to admit I really really really enjoyed Splinter Cell.

Yes, I am ashamed because of it, yes shadow mechanics are ridiculous, but what can you do.

On the plus side, there are cheapo versions out, for the PC. It's like the first parts up to double agent for € 10 or 15-20 including double agent. I think you can't go wrong with that sort of pricetag. I think the part I enjoyed the most was "Chaos theory", I really liked the guard dialogues  ;D

But whatever you do, don't buy double agent for the wii, it has only half the content.

edit: It just occured to me, there was a "Hitman" title out there, in which you had the option to finish every mission wearing your standard clothing and sneaking about, I think it's even possible not to stun anybody. IIRC the leveldesign would only reveal it's true beauty to the player if they managed to finish it in that 100% stealth mode. If I further recall correctly, that's true in most games in the hitman series, as well as in splinter cell.

Only gripe I have with hitman is... it doesn't feel right controlling the guy. He's like a wooden doll or something, totally not fluid, totally un-ninja.

and yet another idea: Metal Gear Solid. the FIRST one. yeah, it has to much dialogue, but it only got worse from there. Part 2 sucked ass bigtime, the first one was pretty nifty, I thought. I enjoyed even the bonus disc "virtual missions" or something.
I'd say it's worth it to set up a PS emulator to play it.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:02:25 am by Puck »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:28:45 am »

Played all 3 :P, all good games. Splinter cell was good, but oh so short, and double agent was pretty bad, IMO. Hitan was nice, but it felt awkward at times, since no one noticed tall bald guy with a weird tatoo in the back of his head, and yea, the animations were pretty awkward.
Now metal gear was a masterpiece, even though rather simple and straightforward, played and finished on hardest mode and got all extras back in the day, didn't get a chance to play the sequels.

Anyway, i was looking for a game like Thief 3: Deadly shadows, now that game was pure awesome, my idea of the greatest sneaking game come true. While some people swear it is nothing comapred to the other games from the series, i think thief 3 hasa different style of its own.
So yea, searching for a game similar to thief 3. Gosh i so wish shinobido had come out for the PC :(
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:39:28 am »

double agent was pretty bad, IMO
I think it was pretty decent. The main problem I had was.... they sold the game as if it was non linear and your choices actually made a difference, which was pretty much a lie. It was the same game as always, which is nice, but trying to sell it as something it wasnt pissed me off pretty badly.

vfb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:35 am »

Thief and Thief II are classic FPS sneaking games. 

Deus Ex you can be somewhat sneaky iirc... maybe with a silencer or the sniper rifle or crossbow?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:32:18 am »

From what I understand, the Hitman series allowed everything from 0 kill save the target strategies to kill everyone including the target. Also, for not noticing him, why would a single man dressed appropriately get noticed. You can go almost anywhere if your dressed in a suit, or in a catering outfit with food. God, I've wandered hospitals, schools, and office buildings EVERYWHERE without anyone deciding to investigate where the guy with 10 boxes on a handtruck is going, dressed in a t-shirt and chef's pants.

Gang Garrison 2 has the spy, which can sneak in and steal the intel without killing.

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 03:06:40 am »

Gang Garrison 2 has the spy, which can sneak in and steal the intel without killing.
If a dozen snipers, mechanics and demomen don't have knives in their backs, you played the class wrong.
 Wrongiddy wrong wrong.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:12:15 pm »

Nothing quite like SC multiplayer... The first one at anyrate, I was kinda unimpressed with the later one(s)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:13:37 pm »

Deus Ex you can be somewhat sneaky iirc...

Somewhat? Last time I finished Deus Ex I didn't fire a single shot intended to harm or kill (I did have to beat Gunther with Paul's blackjack a bit to leave me alone though).
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 12:15:41 am »

Thief and Thief II are classic FPS sneaking games. 

Deus Ex you can be somewhat sneaky iirc... maybe with a silencer or the sniper rifle or crossbow?

THANK YOU! for a second there i thought noone would mention the Theif series.

ive only played theif: deadly shadows but its awsome. you dont have to kill anything if you want to, just twist and turn around corners and cause distractions and blind and knock out people while going around stealing artifacts and gold. youve got arrows that spread water moss fire and gas....and a ton of other cool stuff like climbing gloves. also long....never finished it. try it and be amazed

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 03:07:36 am »

You have to play the first one as well.  I'd recommend all of them, really...  And take them in sequence.

The bear pit discussion is one of the greatest moments of all time in video gaming history.  At least in my opinion.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:11:21 pm »

OP said "dont mentiont thief series and deus ex, cause I've played em up and down"

So I go ahead and mention everything else, which the op apparently also had played already, but didnt thought it was worth pointing out  ;D

And then comes the crowd that mentions thief and deus ex ... again  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4