Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SO AS I WAS JUST MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS  (Read 3233 times)

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
Re: SO AS I WAS JUST MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 09:55:12 pm »

Be worried, Sparks. Mandrills come in waves, just like other, less insane animals. I lost like 5 dwarves to an abnormally large wave once. There were something like 12 or more mandrills. It was bad.
Be worried, Sparks. Mandrills come in waves,
Sparks. Mandrills
Spark Mandrill

Damn you, Mega Man X!
On a slightly more related note, yeah, mandrills are bad. Some of the most fun wildlife to have, though, especially early on. Pretty nice defense you've got planned, though. More than enough to deal with the monkeys, I'll bet.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 09:56:47 pm »

Damn you, Mega Man X!
On a slightly more related note, yeah, mandrills are bad. Some of the most fun wildlife to have, though, especially early on. Pretty nice defense you've got planned, though. More than enough to deal with the monkeys, I'll bet.
Hahahah, I never caught that. Anyways, can they be caught/tamed/used against gobbos?
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »

Um.. your defences look good.  do you realise that 6 cage traps will usually stop the blue bastards in their tracks and gives you something to thow in your prison to play with your pows. 
  Mandrills are one of the few things that I have lost forts to in the last 2 years.  sometimes if you wipe out a whole wave they will not come back.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 10:11:34 pm »

Guys, help. My immigrants arrived, there's shit that needs to be done, but no one wants to do it for some odd reason. Out of the 14 dwarves, 10 are idle bastards.
EDIT: They seem to be working on the stairs now.. No telling for how long until they go back to being DO DE DUM BLAH BLAH IM DUMB
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:20:24 pm by Im_Sparks »
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 11:55:16 pm »

Did they just arrive? Are they blinking gray Xs? Migrants take a minute or two to become available for work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 11:57:06 pm »

Activate stone detailing on all of 'em and smooth the world!
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 12:51:23 am »

By the way, do you ever have unarmed dwarves outside of the defended area?

BoBoTheBum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 09:55:26 am »

Resources being a bucket of water, a bed and possibly a few minutes of some dwarfs time?

That is a HUGE drain of resources. What if there is lye to be made at this second? Who KNOWS what kind of terror would befall a fortress if a lyemaker was tied up in giving someone a drink of water.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 03:55:23 pm »

I've never been attacked by mandrills before, so I wouldn't know anything about them.

I've been bugged by rhesus macaque(spelling?) raids from the very start, though, but it's no big deal. They're such big cowards that even the newest recruits in my ragtag military can scare them off with no bother :P
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 04:41:26 pm »

By the way, do you ever have unarmed dwarves outside of the defended area?
No. Everyone's on stand-down.
Did they just arrive? Are they blinking gray Xs? Migrants take a minute or two to become available for work.
Yep, they work now. Thanks ye.
Resources being a bucket of water, a bed and possibly a few minutes of some dwarfs time?
One of them recovered; the other... Well, no way I'm supporting another philosopher for a few years just so he could be of use. I forbid his door. No graveyard. No books or engravings will ever include him. He never existed. Talk about him and you get 50 hammer strikes.

SO ANYWAYS, HOW DO YA GUYS LIKE MY WORKSHOPS?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 06:17:10 pm »

Oh god, I got immigrants by the first autumn, and now THIS!!! What the hell.. No warning or anything, they just out of nowhere came and ambushed me.. I was at least expecting a diplomat so I could kill him. This might be the end to possibly the best fort evar.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 06:22:55 pm »

Are those kobolds? Elves? Goblins?
 I always wanted to imply graphics sets were difficult to understand in a proper context.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 06:23:49 pm »

Are those kobolds? Elves? Goblins?
 I always wanted to imply graphics sets were difficult to understand in a proper context.

ELVES, SIR!
THEY JUST KILLED ME. ;_;

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 06:47:57 pm »

ELVES, SIR!
THEY JUST KILLED ME. ;_;

Bwa Ha ha ha ha
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 06:53:17 pm »

Elves: THAT'S FOR KILLING THE INNOCENT MANDRILLS!

Which is why I occasionally make fortresses with elves to have them killed by the very things they chide us over.

NO BEDS FOR YOU ELF.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 [2] 3