Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the month-end project??  (Read 1255 times)

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the month-end project??
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:42:30 pm »

What is the month-end project?? I've seen this every month and always been clueless.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:22:00 pm by Reyyvo »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the month-end project??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:44:30 pm »

No one knows, apparently.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »

I believe the Dragslay 2 theory, but don't have much supporting evidence.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:00:55 pm »

Some days ago we had almost the same topic and toady was so kind to answer.

Quote from: Toady one
It isn't DF or anything to do with DF.  It's another game.

But yeah, today it was taxes.  Of the gross 32000 from 2008, 7000 go to the government and 1300 go to paypals, leaving 23700 for the rent and bills and food and web hosting and stuff.

Sometimes it helps to use the search function  ;) .
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »

sorry, but i find searches very tedious on forums, especially with how slow they can go. And i forget about it 90% of the time >.<.

thank you for pointing that out though.

DarkSim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:54:01 pm »

I theorize its some smaller, simpler and much more modular game than df. It might even be totally new IP for all we know. In any case toady is making it and has been for a while so surely it will be absolutely epic :D

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:59:31 pm »

I theorize its some smaller, simpler and much more modular game than df. It might even be totally new IP for all we know. In any case toady is making it and has been for a while so surely it will be absolutely epic :D

Wait, wait... If by IP you mean Internet Protocol...  an IP capable of sustaining DF on an MMO scale.  (Now, I know Toady said his project didn't have anything to do with DF, but this would just be a natural application)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:15:05 pm »

Wait, wait... If by IP you mean Internet Protocol...  an IP capable of sustaining DF on an MMO scale.  (Now, I know Toady said his project didn't have anything to do with DF, but this would just be a natural application)

lrn2context

It's obvious that he was talking about IP meaning "Intellectual Property" meaning a new game that not's a continuation of his existing IPs (Slaves to Armok, LCS, etcetera) That and Toady has said that he doesn't know diddly about coding for multiplayer. This project may be helping with that, but the truth is we don't know.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:17:04 pm »

For like three years I've wanted to know what that context of IP stood for... I was so lazy I just assumed it meant "Something or some kind of story or something that a company owns and develops".

I guess I was almost right :P
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:47:51 pm »

wow. that abbreviation and PC (politically correct) should be taken outside and shot.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:40:15 am »

wow. that abbreviation and PC (politically correct) should be taken outside and shot.

To be fair, IP standing for Intellectual Property has been around for much, much longer than IP standing for 'Internet Protocol'. It's all about the context - reading the sentence it was used in made it obvious which meaning was implied.

For like three years I've wanted to know what that context of IP stood for... I was so lazy I just assumed it meant "Something or some kind of story or something that a company owns and develops".

I guess I was almost right :P

Almost ;) Intellectual property includes things like trademarks, copyrights, etcetera. The concept is used to protect things are are unique or original that don't necessarily exist in a tangible, physical form - such as ideas, concepts. DF's IP is hard to define given the random nature of the game, but it does have some defining things. The unique languages in the game, for instance, and the interpretation of Elves the game currently has could also qualify. Basically, it's to protect the unique things that Toady comes up with, so he doesn't find himself in a position where he's spent all his time creating something only to have someone swoop by and cash in on it with their larger or faster resources.

God, I'm having flashes back to University and Art Law.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:14:48 am »

The month end project is pie baking, Toady bakes enough pies to last the whole month.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.