Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Blacksun: The Dwarves' Last Stand [Community Fortress]  (Read 12085 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Blacksun: The Dwarves' Last Stand [Community Fortress]
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 07:52:38 am »

Lord Legon, maybe?  That's dwarvish for wanderer.  He can be a former noble who's lost his riches, and had previously studied ballistics out of fascination.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 09:39:17 am »

Heh, I may take you up on the offer of a personal journal. It would certainly be a way to get community involvement up. Though most people are content to throw their ballot in and leave it to the OP.

"Shrug"

I might do that. It all depends.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 02:46:47 pm »

Lego, I like it! I can already see conflict brewing (thinking he is entitled to noble treatment, but Fugue cracking the whip and telling him to keep working on those Ballista Bolts... hehehe)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 02:54:33 pm »

Thanks.  This story has been very interesting so far.  I look forward to its progress.  ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 02:58:38 pm »

Either way, Katsuun sounds like a fun character; Goblin Stockholm Syndrome anyone?

How does that make sense? I mean sure, Katsuun's a paranoid nut, but he's not trying to help the goblins!

Sans context.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 07:06:31 pm »

Journal of Overseer Fugue
Much Progress, Mid Summer, 140

At long last, our weapons are finished. Libash has done some fine work on them- it seems her skill with the anvil is greater than she had let on. She has now begun crafting Bucklers, Shields, and full suits of Iron Chainmail for our citizens, and if she keeps her present pace should be done before Autumn comes. However, and no matter how much I would like it otherwise, armor will have to be kept in reserve for each citizen; the sun here is far too hot to expect dwarves to be in full armor at all times.

Speaking of the daytime heat, temperatures here have continued to rise every day... by midday, being outside is almost unbearable. Most of us, with the exception of the ranger, spend the hot parts of the day moving stone in the rough beginnings of our Great Hall. Fireheart has been working tirelessly on it with structural advice from Short Dwarf.... Shorty as some have come to know him. The hall itself is nothing much yet, but it is far cooler down here, and the air is almost moist compared to the dryness above. Once enough stone is cleared, we're going to move our bunks and food stocks into the central chamber.

While digging down into the sand to find bedrock for the hall, Fireheart discovered a layer of moist earth that Cirino insists will make for a fine mushroom field. After properly buttressing the walls and ceilings to prevent loose sand from collapsing, he has begun sowing what Plump Helmets spawn we had with us in hopes to start a mushroom farm. I trust him, but I do certainly hope that he isn't wasting our seeds on infertile soil, as seeds and spawn are in short supply.

At any rate, with weapons and shelter taken care of, food production underway, and armor comming, the militia will hopefully begin it's first training session soon. Current militia members are Cirino, Shorty, Tamunshin, and myself. I am slightly dissapointed that Grimes declined to join, as his strength and skill with the axe is well-known. Regardless, his dedication is not in question, as he spends even the hottest parts of the day under the sun, hunting game to supplement our limited stores. At times, I think he works so hard during the day so that he can avoid venturing out after nightfall... but I still wonder what has him so shaken about the dark.

<><><><><>

(The rough beginnings of the Great Hall)

(Cirino's Mushroom Farm)                                   (Grimes hunting Elk)

<><><><><>

I figured by "innovative uses for dead things" you meant something along the lines of mutilation, corpse-nibbling, or other Goblin-type stuff. Stockholm Syndrome was the only thing I could think of that described dealing with an adversary so long that you start to sympathize with and emulate them. Unless you meant some other innovative uses for dead things... a few of which I could do without thinking on.

In other news, a nasty spring thunderstorm is brewing outside and my area is under a flood watch, so if I drop off the face of the Earth for a few days, fear not! I've got backups of everything. :3
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:31:00 am by Solifuge »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 07:30:26 pm »

That Great Hall looks awesome. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 08:03:03 pm »

Nice hall.
Just so I remember

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 10:38:35 pm »

looks good so far exspecially the hall. hopefully the farming goes right :s

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 10:51:09 pm »

.....with structural advice from Short Dwarf.... Shorty as some have come to know him....

:O
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 01:45:50 am »

looks nice, the great hall is shaping up well, I usually create a more oblong shape, or a rectangle if Im lazy. Glad to see its going to be suitably kick ass solifuge. Oh, and i thought that the farming patch was surrounded by magma at first glance. Methinks I'm not used to the graphics quite yet.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 02:34:20 am »

Journal of Overseer Fugue
Business At Hand, Late Summer, 140

As difficult as it is to admit to myself, I am beginning to feel homesick. I have so many fond memories of the mountain homes... those carefree days spent chasing my cousins around statues in the Hall of Ancients, helping the senior growers harvest the Dimple Cups and watching with fascination as they pressed them for dye, or browsing through the old relics my grandsire had collected in his adventuring days. Even knowing that there is nothing left there to return to, I still sorely miss the company of the rest of our people... All my faith is with the others here at Blacksun, but I've had a hard time getting to know any of the dwarves here, and we have precious little time for leisure activities.

I must remind myself to focus on the present, though, and the business at hand.

Shorty has completed the beginnings of the watchtower... a simple round base surrounding the entrance to our halls, with a large marketplace set on the second floor. That way, the goods stored below will be protected, and any wandering traders and their goods will be protected should we be attacked. Eventually, the tower will be fortified with walls and defenses, like a Human Keep, protecting the entrance to our settlement, and fortress. it will stand over 5 cubits tall, high enough to see for miles while still being close enough to ground for marksdwarves to fire on enemies.

Earlier today, Tamunshin approached me at my workdesk to show me a scepter he had been working on for the past few weeks. It was a fine piece of craftswork, fashioned from many types of bone. He carved it with small images of seven dwarves around the top of the scepter, each holding a different trade symbol over their heads. It wasn't until I saw one of them holding aloft a quill that I realized it, but the image was symbolizing the foundation of this settlement, and the dwarves were us!

I was altogether surprised by the quality of the scepter... we'd joked briefly that he had been possesed by the fey, like the dwarves of legend. What surprised me even more, though, was when he offered it to me as a gift. I accepted it of course, and I will not soon forget his kindness... despite my efforts to remain cheerful, he must have sensed my sullen mood. Tamunshin is a skilled craftsdwarf, and a good friend. I'm glad to have him with me on the expedition team.

<><><><><>

(The ground floor of the watchtower)

(A bone scepter commemorating the foundation of Blacksun)

(yeah...)

<><><><><>

...Oh, and i thought that the farming patch was surrounded by magma at first glance. Methinks I'm not used to the graphics quite yet.

Cirino: "No guys, listen, the stuff's literally filled with minerals! It's perfect for a Mushroom Farm... Hey, who's the Proficient Grower here? Seriously, it'll be fi-"
*walls cave in, incinerating him with magma*
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:33:00 am by Solifuge »

Lucifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 06:18:17 am »

Miner/Manson

-Name: Gwynned
-Weapon of choice: Sword and shield
-2nd Job: Soldier
-Goals: Become Legendary Miner/Sworddwarf
Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!

Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 10:47:55 am »

...Oh, and i thought that the farming patch was surrounded by magma at first glance. Methinks I'm not used to the graphics quite yet.

Cirino: "No guys, listen, the stuff's literally filled with minerals! It's perfect for a Mushroom Farm... Hey, who's the Proficient Grower here? Seriously, it'll be fi-"
*walls cave in, incinerating him with magma*
[/quote]

O.o  X_X lol

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 11:24:05 am »

I figured by "innovative uses for dead things" you meant something along the lines of mutilation, corpse-nibbling, or other Goblin-type stuff. Stockholm Syndrome was the only thing I could think of that described dealing with an adversary so long that you start to sympathize with and emulate them. Unless you meant some other innovative uses for dead things... a few of which I could do without thinking on.

In other news, a nasty spring thunderstorm is brewing outside and my area is under a flood watch, so if I drop off the face of the Earth for a few days, fear not! I've got backups of everything. :3

Yeah... I meant something else (and no, not THAT something else). I meant, as in litteraly using the in-game dead stuff FOR something. Like carving, decoration, the like.

Sans context.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5