Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more power naps!  (Read 1276 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
No more power naps!
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:05:00 am »

I allways thought it was silly that your dwarves take breaks. I do understand it but i don't see why my engineer should take a break when he is supposed to make mechanisms for the undergroud farm i'm trying to get done before we get hungry. I think taking breaks should be activated at a certain amount of dwarves, wealth, or noble because they shouldn't take breaks when they aren't sure they are going to survive. "On break" should only be done when you're going to live, right? I've never seen someone taking a break in a hot combat situation, but that is just as bad as dying from starvation.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more power naps!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:23:42 am »

Everybody need to takes breaks, however forcing them not to (an making them unhappy) could be implemented instead of the current exploitish system of draft/undraft
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:24:22 am »

though the drafting also gives them an unhappy thought ::)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:26:47 am »

Well yeah but it's trivial to give them novice wrestling to avoid that.
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:33:19 am »

:P ok you're right about that. But you could(this is the way i think) also see it as training of military discipline, no naps!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:22:17 am »

Whats even more fun is when you're under siege, and suddenly 18 of your 20 soldiers decide that its naptime. All at the same time.  ::)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »

I think I saw the draft exploit mentioned in the next version stuff. Maybe I was just sleeping

Anyhow, breaks should happen. They're not robots, they're people. However, breaks should be earned. Each task generates a modifiable amount of rest points and if enough are accumulated before the end of the day (ie sleep, weekly night cycle, whatever), the dwarf takes the rest of the day off

Anyone who wants them to be mindless automatons could then remove the rest cost

Obviously you should be able to force them to go back to work but it should have real consequences, not -2 mood points that are completely negated by nice lodgings

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 05:56:21 pm »

Anyhow, breaks should happen. They're not robots, they're people.

Actually, they're dwarves, which may or not be robots.  Depending on how you look at the sheer amount of booze being consumed.

*(EDIT) Spelling. Lolz.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:43:46 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:36:49 pm »

Dwarves are robots with pure, red alcool that fuels them. They generate it themselves but slowly (internal food fermentation).. that why they drink so darn much and slow down without an external source of it.

Power naps are not a big deal.. we can break them.. for now.
The problem is when my soldiers and 3/4 of the fortress all go at the same time to drink (twice, way too long to get done), eat (once, fast), and sleep (Seems to always be when i need my commander the most.... bunch of weak-willed morons).
 They go at it the nanosecond they think they might kinda feel like it.. they never push it unless i physically prevent them from doing any of those. Finishing that job wich is 99% completed? Fighting that army when your the last defence and your on duty? Peh, their snack/nap is way more important.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:15:23 am »

Dwarves are robots with pure, red alcool that fuels them. They generate it themselves but slowly (internal food fermentation).. that why they drink so darn much and slow down without an external source of it.

Power naps are not a big deal.. we can break them.. for now.
The problem is when my soldiers and 3/4 of the fortress all go at the same time to drink (twice, way too long to get done), eat (once, fast), and sleep (Seems to always be when i need my commander the most.... bunch of weak-willed morons).
 They go at it the nanosecond they think they might kinda feel like it.. they never push it unless i physically prevent them from doing any of those. Finishing that job wich is 99% completed? Fighting that army when your the last defence and your on duty? Peh, their snack/nap is way more important.

now That's the problem i'm talking about! It's just not realistic :P

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:38:23 am »

I've noticed a tendency, especially prominent within the first two years or so, for large portions of my fort to decide they're going to eat, sleep, or drink at the exact same time.  Maybe it happens at later stages too but I just don't notice then.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:42:25 am »

I do understand it but i don't see why my engineer should take a break when he is supposed to make mechanisms for the undergroud farm i'm trying to get done before we get hungry.

Simple. Because they are dwarves. I find it pretty "realistic", that they take a nap whenever they want, even if it's annoying sometimes. Hell, lot of dwarves have the "He/She doesn't care about anything anymore." trait in their profile even.  ;D
Also, DF is not Dungeon Keeper.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:45:02 am »

I do understand it but i don't see why my engineer should take a break when he is supposed to make mechanisms for the undergroud farm i'm trying to get done before we get hungry.

Simple. Because they are dwarves. I find it pretty "realistic", that they take a nap whenever they want, even if it's annoying sometimes. Hell, lot of dwarves have the "He/She doesn't care about anything anymore." trait in their profile even.  ;D

yeah but i don't think they should risk their lives with it ;P