Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54751 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2010, 02:25:26 pm »

@de5me7: Please explain how quicksand would effect things on top of it.
I can't speak for de5me7, but I personally think quicksand should just give you a movement penalty as you struggle to get back out - a bit like a swimmer stuck in water, making for shore. Unlike in the movies, where people just sink slowly into the sand until they drown, you don't sink all the way down into quicksand, but rather stop after sinking to a certain depth. So just have the character who's fallen in move slowly towards shore, and give him or her some mud smears (or quicksand smears, or whatever).

@Drutin: Explain how deep snow would react to movement across it and digging through it
Again, I'm speaking only for myself here. Personally I have to say it'd depend on how much depth you want to add to the "Winter Wonderland Arc".

In reality, freshly fallen snow is extremely powdery and can't be formed into anything, nor will it carry much weight. You'll sink a bit into it even with skis on. If lots of snow falls at the same time, this layer of powdery snow goes pretty deep. Either way, as it remains on the ground, it hardens and can be walked upon with much greater ease, and be formed into snowballs and whatnot and have tunnels dug through it. If there's lots of snow and really cold weather you end up with a crust atop the powdery snow. If a thin layer of snow melts and re-freezes, you get a sheet of ice covering the ground.

I think a good way to simplify snow would be to have it build up as a "solid liquid", as has been suggested by many, and then let the snow at the highest z-level have a powdery state, while snow that has snow on the z-level above it automatically turns solid (perhaps with a delay), like so:

(this pic has a crust over powdery snow, but you could just as well make it the other way around)

Moving across, and digging through the top layer would be very different from going through the lower layers - powdery snow would incur a stricter movement penalty than solid snow, but this penalty would be reduced by a smaller size, more legs, or gear such as snow shoes or skis. Powdery snow, when dug into, would act like a slow magma-like liquid and "run" into adjacent tiles, or cave-in if there was nothing in the z-level below it. Solid snow would be, well, solid, and you'd be able to dig through it just fine.

The real-life "system" for what snow becomes powdery and what snow becomes solid is fairly complicated, and I admit that I don't understand it fully, but something rudimentary like this would probably work just fine.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:03:54 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 11, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »

@de5me7: Please explain how quicksand would effect things on top of it.

generally speaking people drown in quick sand. it would need to be defined as a fluid, it would appear like any other sand. It would have to be significantly harder to swim, and rather viscous (low flow speed if channelled off).  Essentially if a character walked on a tile of quick sand it would be the same as stepping into a pond but with no warning and it being alot harder to swim across and climb out. as i mentioned in the original post there would have to some technique for detecting quick sand or this would kill lots and lots of adventurers.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:15 am »

You can't swim in quicksand. I know because I've tried (military school project). None of the guys could either. You have to level your chest while raising your head as much as you can until help comes.
OR, try and find out just how deep it really is ;D! If it's under 7 feet deep, you can walk along the bottom and crawl out.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #303 on: January 12, 2010, 05:13:10 am »

Thinking about it, snowball fights could actually be something kids could engage in when bored, a bit like military dwarves sparring in barracks, or crossbowdwarves shooting at targets. Just have the game set the current job of a couple kids to "snowball fight", then take them out in the snow and materialize snowballs in their hands, and have them run around throwing them at each other. Would be a nice little background thing to have, and has the potential for some fun stories if the snowballs go astray...

A diplomat has left unhappy.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 12, 2010, 05:53:23 am »

Thank god thrown stuff is going to be less powerful next version, because otherwise a "snowball fight" would be incredibly lethal.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:25 am »

Got the snowball fights. Random chances for ice balls could be cool.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Drutin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2010, 08:04:54 am »

well I would respond but safe-keeper already said what I was going to say better AND WITH A PICTURE.  :o

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 16, 2010, 09:40:54 am »

In some forts, they could have elf-skull fights instead.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2010, 10:53:55 am »

Thank god thrown stuff is going to be less powerful next version, because otherwise a "snowball fight" would be incredibly lethal.
The snowball punctures your heart!
It is mangled!
You have bled to death.

Snowball fights sound awesome, it would be hilarious if the snowballs could occasionally stray off course, and hit diplomats or nobles.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2010, 12:50:21 pm »

Added safe-keeper's post to 'snow' under meta-game modifications.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2010, 03:44:24 pm »

Snowball fights sound awesome, it would be hilarious if the snowballs could occasionally stray off course, and hit diplomats or nobles.
I see the potential for awesome bugs.

"Careful, children, don't snowball fight near those human merchants, you could hit one of them, and-- oh, darn, see? Told you! Now they're gonna be pissed at you... what?! Why are those archers shooting? No, wait! No! A goddamned snowball is not an attack, stop killing the children! Damnit, someone do something! :watches squad of hammerdwarves charge archers: No, not you! Aaargh!"

:watches bloodbath:

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2010, 09:05:59 pm »

Snowballs vs fire imps?
For they would be your masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2010, 11:30:18 pm »

Animated snowmen in haunted glaciers? FROSTY WANTS YOUR BLOOD!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2010, 03:26:57 pm »

would dwarfs/creatures in general be able to slide on snow? and would there be the potential for avalanches - triggered by weight?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 25, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »

would dwarfs/creatures in general be able to slide on snow? and would there be the potential for avalanches - triggered by weight?

I'd like to see the accumulation--and effects of that accumulation; of ice/snow/hail (and rain).
Also, soot/dirt/other matter, on snow, darkening snow, and possibly darker colors sometimes causing ice to melt faster. Absorbing sunlight, in other words.

Salt, too, should make ice and snow melt. Water mixed with salt, or alchohol, shouldn't freeze at the same temperature as unadulterated water.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23