Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54824 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2009, 12:06:57 am »

Well, I remembered this topic again, and just in time it seems!

Thank you very much, shaostoul! I'll be looking over the recent suggestions, but I'd like to remind you guys of the Eternal Voting button at the bottom of the OP. We'll be in the top 50 as long as we have 10 votes!

I'll probably add in sentient celestial beings, herds, stampedes, Chasm-forming quakes, and whatever else you guys put in. (now start already!)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:47:20 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2009, 08:03:16 am »

More ideas please!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2009, 08:15:20 am »

It would be funny if your miner could accidentally unleash a woolly mammoth or sabretooth frozen in the ice in colder regions. It would be like the mini version of HFS.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:18:59 am by chinkeeyong »
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2009, 09:21:49 am »

Like Ice Age 4, hidden worlds.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2009, 09:27:08 am »

It would be funny if your miner could accidentally unleash a woolly mammoth or sabretooth frozen in the ice in colder regions. It would be like the mini version of HFS.
Only in good or evil frozen areas, in regular they would just be frozen to death, in good they'll live but might still be angry, in evil they'll come out as zombies/sleletals, but it sounds cool.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:06 am »

I was thinking about road side shrines, nothing to fancy, ranging from a single tile to a 3x3 square. They could easily tie in other things and would help diversify roads a bit.

Also, maybe animal lairs; currently many animals enter the map and walk to the other side. Maybe some animals could congregate around certain spots, maybe a small cave or a mountain top.

wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2009, 05:00:35 pm »

I think that having "eyries" for giant eagles might be interestings-mountainous areas/ledges where there are inordinate numbers of the creatures. This could be extended to any other kind of flying animal.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2009, 05:29:03 pm »

May I suggest taking away the generic blue coloring for swamp water, and making it semi-transparent? You would see rippling in the water and such, but it would obscure what is below the surface-though you might see general hazy shapes. This would also allow you to see the riverbed. For that matter, multi z-level rivers would also be interesting. Making the color reflect the current weather conditions on the surface (cloudly, raining, clear sky, snowing etc) would also make it more interesting. This might end up in the init options though. Still, it would make bodies of water far more interesting.

Also, I would like to mention actual ocean tides (high/low), tidal pools (may fill up with trapped fish, other creature, and barnacles growing on rocks below the high tide line as features which would make the oceans in specifc more interesting. Adding in kelp forests and coral reefs for tropical regions-the former of which could contain kelp (cookable but not brewable), sea urchins and otters, and various kinds of fish. Kelp is often visible at the surface, by the way, and grows VERY fast, so this should be represented. This would also provide a good way to train swimming, by assigning dwarves to collect in the shallows, and then assigning them to collect stuff from the kelp forests.

Coral reefs could serve as a source of coral, but more importantly as a way to get crabs, shrimp, and loads of vermin fish. They could also provide places where reef-dwelling sharks can congregate...providing a way for you to obtain that sharksin leather your count wants.
And even more meat. And of course, shark skulls!

Then there are oyster reefs. Exactly like it says on the tin, these are places where oysters are abundant enough to form whole reefs. Along the same lines, mussels may be able to form similair reefs along the shore.

Sunken ships could provide a free artifact or two, and may be able to provide wine or oils, along with metal bars and the like. Coins may also be present in them. Could also serve as a way to get otherwise unobtainable goods.

Edit: kelp forests are generally temperate features, I believe.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:35:09 am by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:56 pm »

I'll sift through and add stuff again later when i have more time, but I think there's a problem with transparent water. In ASCII, it'll just look like two symbols on top of eachother, which would be incredibly confusing.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2009, 07:31:57 am »

skeletal fish should never be spawned in vanilla
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2009, 09:29:23 am »

Why not? To be honest, even skeletal sea serpents and whale pods are on the pathetic side once you have a good military up and running. The fact that they end up "frozen" in the water on ocean maps doesn't help (they'll only move again if a dwarf/other creature gets close enough to them).

Edit: If black sand is meant to mean iron sand, I'm pretty sure that black sand is generally a result of basaltic rocks being eroded-Hawaii, for instance, has black sand beaches. Just something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:02:39 am by Byakugan01 »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2009, 03:14:44 pm »

How about kudzu? a fast growing plant that can strangle your crops and cover the entire region if left unnoticed.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2009, 03:34:44 pm »

Kudzu is only like that in the U.S., however-because there, it is an invasive species. In it's native region, I would bet that it gets kept well in check by other plant species, insects, herbivores and diseases. Incidentally, pretty much anything invasive in one area will not be as pervasive or destructive in it's native habitat. Hmmm....perhaps introducing plant diseases instead? No plant in its native environment would end up covering the landscape, but crop diseases are a real problem for farmers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:50:55 pm by Byakugan01 »

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2009, 04:15:24 pm »

Kudzu is only like that in the U.S., however-because there, it is an invasive species. In it's native region, I would bet that it gets kept well in check by other plant species, insects, herbivores and diseases. Incidentally, pretty much anything invasive in one area will not be as pervasive or destructive in it's native habitat. Hmmm....perhaps introducing plant diseases instead? No plant in its native environment would end up covering the landscape, but crop diseases are a real problem for farmers.

I live in Atlanta, and kudzu is a G.D. epidemic down here and has been since its introduction.  IIRC, the only means of controlling it are aggressive gardening, grazing livestock, and a few odd bacteria and fugi.

Still, the idea of vine like plants that can cover and engulf landscapes and structures is solid.  Throw in some poisonous varieties (poison ivy, poison oak, etc), and you've got a very dwarfy idea.
Computer says 'No'.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2009, 06:48:19 pm »

For that matter, throw in some dwarf-eating varieties.

Giant venus-flytrap heads, tentacular tendrils, and big scary poisonous thorns.

Gives dwarfs a better reason to carry around all those axes.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23