Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54835 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2009, 05:51:16 pm »

They make this sortof custard in the Thai restaurant around here, and then top it with slices of fresh mango, and cocoanut milk. It's nummy.

...In more important news, could fallen fruit naturally ferment? Then we might have drunken animals occasionally running around. That happens in real life, to deer for instance.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:56:24 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2009, 08:40:53 pm »

and maybe fermented fruit could be eaten by dwarves and be used for thirst needs as well?

PS: added.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2009, 08:47:52 pm »

Well, fruit could probably work to help alleviate thirst.

Not sure about fermentation in the actual fruit. Probably for dwarfs it would be good, and it might work well on sick dwarfs?

Fruit-presses and mills might be a nice feature to see. The juice itself could also be fermented, ofcourse, and probably cooked with too.

Jams, jellies, marmelades, syrups, fruit-butters, what have you. Candy, maybe.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2009, 02:33:34 pm »

Those are all good ideas, although personally I don't see dwarves doing that much with fruit, since they rely more on their zany underground farming and such. I can see humans and elves having more ways of preparing fruit than dwarves is what I'm getting at here.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2009, 02:43:05 pm »

That's ok. If it can be added primarily for elves and humans, then it'll help distinguish them from dwarfs, which isn't a bad thing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2009, 11:59:34 am »

So, anyone else got ideas for the list?

PS: vote for this in the eternal voting suggestion list!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

cparax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2009, 12:24:57 pm »

DF needs nomads who enter and exit the local area periodically, either passing through or staying for a time and possibly either trading or fighting depending on who they are and what their needs and levels of technology are. The same general mechanic could be used for migratory birds and other such animals. Because nomadic groups tend to have a very weak concept of real property, they'd be liable to occupy and use (and possibly even dismantle) structures or buildings aboveground or in ramp-accessible and shallow caves. Non-fighting nomads would avoid having to defend themselves and flee, not arrive the next time they were due, and arrive the time after that with allied and mercenary horse archers.

Particularly warlike nomads or pastoralists would favor fire as a siege tool - because grass grows back, and they don't have to live there.

-

Well, fruit could probably work to help alleviate thirst.
Certain trees and shrubs should also be used for this. In badlands and some deserts, there might also be cactuses which ferment sugar internally and concentrate it in fruit to make them attractive to spreading animals, and dwarves would certainly be among them. They'd ideally be a free-standing plant/crop which could be processed for wood and a unit of middling-quality liquor (prickly perry?).

Deserts should have a lot more plant diversity: extracts from aloe, fiber from yucca, and edible and brewable cultivars of cactus should all be usable as crops, and there are various seedless plants which could also be useful for a desert/badland fortress.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:30:45 pm by cparax »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »

PS: vote for this in the eternal voting suggestion list!

I think I will...A dwarf postal service just doesn't seem as important.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2009, 06:04:53 pm »

DF needs ...text wall

I've always thought a fortress should have all manners of adventurers, pilgrams, travelers, nomads and friendly armies stopping by for a drink or a break from their travels.

As for random nomads raiding my fortress, thats pretty much what kolbolds and mountain gnomes represent, I guess.

I'd be thrilled if roaming bands of Kolbolds cleaned up and picked clean all that battlefeild debris and walked off the map with it.

This isn't so much terrain features we'd like as it is gameplay changes we'd like anyways.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2009, 06:50:34 pm »

I think the 'squatters' idea covers nomads.

Any ideas for more creatures, lava features and ruins etc?

we're pretty well covered on geographical and water features, unless you guys can think of something really awesome.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2009, 03:32:42 am »

Dry riverbeds/ Wadis in the desert/ badlands areas could be something, along with the small caves associated with wadis.

It could be something like a Chasm thats only a z-level or two deep with various wildlife, giant scorpians and the like in them that prey off the stuff that gets trapped in the Wadi. Unless there is already a canyon suggestion?

If you wanted to get really advanced, the Wadi could randomly start flowing water for a season during one of the rare downpours of rain aka a flash flood that desertish areas get.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2009, 09:15:15 am »

One thing I'd like to see is the effects of critters on trees: Elephants could eat trees-or atleast strip them of branches, while other critters (ants, termites, tree snakes, mandrils, leopards, elves, etc.) could live in(side of) trees.

Trees and other plants might additionally have diseases, and be homes for/infested by, vermin.

Also, I feel it would be appropriate to feature more prehistoric critters in the game. Maybe not dinosaurs (except in certain "rule of cool" circumstances?), but things like cave bears, mammoths, etc., that were around when humans and other hominids were around.
One popular theory about the extinction of mammoths, and various other "recently" extinct prehistoric animals, is that humans did it. Maybe in the DF world, it never happened.

Maybe there are extinct animals that don't exist as living critters, running around as undead?

Also, could we see biomes shifting? Possibly after major geological events?
If a volcano erupts, it might cause the biomes around it to repattern themselves. Deserts might move in to cover formerly verdant areas, and forests might in turn cover plains. Obviously, glaciers might move.

Biomes themselves might have subtypes, with their own distinct populations, and possibly separate features. The oceans around Antarctica are different from the oceans around the Arctic Circle. They're both arctic oceans, but at completely opposite points on a globe. The Hawaiian rainforest is different from the Congo, and from the Amazon Basin. The Australian Outback is different from Death Valley, but they're both "badlands", etc.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2009, 11:58:43 am »

added wadis and movable glaciers.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:34 am »

Would nomads just come into your territory, eat all your food then burn everything then leave?
Because that would would be awesome...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2009, 12:45:31 pm »

Just had another idea, well two ideas really.

I would love to see desert oasis added to the game, it could even be its own Biome to allow for desert civs to form around them and even have interesting things living in them.

Springs, possibly connected with the above suggestion but freshwater springs might make certain inhospitable places more hospitable. They could even work like pools that fill themselves or even small streams could form from them and lead to rivers?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23