Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54826 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »

Well, worm silk could be of a different variety than spider silk, with different qualities.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2009, 07:15:47 pm »

Wouldn't cave spider silk and giant cave spider silk still be more valuable anyway?

Probably out of virtue of being more "Technically" rare and dangerous to collect.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2009, 07:43:44 pm »

Not dangerous? Pah, wait'll you see the giant silk worms!
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2009, 07:52:37 pm »

Don't leave out the giant spice worms!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:13 pm »

Don't leave out the giant spice worms!

how intriguing... maybe a way to improve the happy thoughts from meals, poison stuff, and convince the elves you can eat powdered elf brain.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2009, 10:18:37 pm »

Would it be possible for dwarves to extract iron from the sand?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »

Actually, that could work like gold dust. digging through black sand could result in a 'pile of sand' to be bagged and sent to the smelter with a couple other bags to form an iron bar.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2009, 03:15:31 pm »

did anyone mention fruit trees yet? you know, apples, oranges, lemons, and coconuts?

also, am i the only one who wants to make umbrellas? that would allow for dwarves to not get soak'en wet, and block out some sun, so that they don't get as sick after cave addaption, which would in turn allow for re-habilitation into the open sky. of course, if they get too used to the sun, they might have trouble going inside...

but umbrellas would have downsides, like drawing lightning, or filling one hand, so the 2K ton rock your hauling seems a little heavier.

also, why can't i take stuff from bushes in adventure mode? i can only burn them!  :'( oh, well.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2009, 08:31:51 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone has, but it's a good idea anyway, and I'm gonna run with it.

The wood interests me as much as the fruit, due to the possibility of using it for things like fine furniture, and maybe incense?

The citrus fruit can be used as a spice (as in citrus zest, or just lemon juice), while the applewood can be used in barbeque, to "spice" meat, as well as to possibly be fashioned into kegs, which would then "spice" liquor.

Lemon juice is also a very good cleanser. Oranges can be turned into marmelade. Blood oranges into Sangria (well, a *type* of sangria, and my favorite alchoholic drink).

If included, lime leaves (kaffir, typically) would be a spice.

These types of fruits-including apples-are excellent sources of Vitamin C, and (along with limes, onions, and raw meat/fish) would help prevent scurvy, if we ever get that.

Not to mention, there's a hell of a lot you can do with apples, food-wise, and even reaction-wise. Everything from cider/liquor (and syrup), to apple-butter, to fruit leather, to using the apples themselves to "spice" meats. The seeds themselves even contain cyanide, so it might be possible for an alchemist to refine that into a poison.

Coconuts are a special case. I'm sure there's lots one could do with them, with coconut oil and etc.
Ofcourse, they serve as both a food and liquid source (the liquid is, unfortunately, a natural laxative, but it's also fermentable, I believe), as well as a ready-made source of bowls/cups, etc.

Not absolutely sure about the quality of the wood, though.

Candlenuts are another idea. They could serve as not only a source of oil, and food I think...but a direct, immediate source of illumination (and even of telling time, combined with rope--made, say, from coconut fibre?).

There could be a chance for dwarfs, etc. to get struck by a falling fruit, while standing under a tree, and fallen fruit could potentially ferment, making animals that eat it drunk.

Something else that would be great would be if certain trees could be harvested for shillelaghs. So instead of fruit (thorn bushes), or maybe instead of a log (thorn trees), you'd get a weapon. Ofcourse, the weapon might have to be further treated (heat-treated, lacquered/shellaced, what have you), but it could give your Fortress defense a boost, and it could be made rare, and uncroppable, for balance reasons.

Speaking of thorn-bushes, I'd like it if fairies would spawn in something like this, like say in the right biome, when a thorn bush or a thorn tree reaches a certain age, it could be inhabited by a fairy-who could then become a "fairy king/queen"-and from that point on, fairies could start spawning from that bush/tree.

Umbrellas/parasols might be fun, and I'd like to see them occasionally weaponized. 

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2009, 12:19:34 am »

Shit. I never even thought about fruit trees. That would really give a purpose to those Mango trees growing everywhere besides making them into beds and bins...

Have them as a seasonal source of food that can be gathered by anybody with the "herbalist" labor.

I now have a burning urge to create a mango/apple/orange-tree farm.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2009, 01:40:14 am »

Yeah.

I love mangos.

Mangos in curry, mango rum, mango salsa, mango sherbet, the mango drink they make in the Punjabi restaurant around here...

Damn, mangos are good.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2009, 11:29:40 am »

Shit. I never even thought about fruit trees. That would really give a purpose to those Mango trees growing everywhere besides making them into beds and bins...

Have them as a seasonal source of food that can be gathered by anybody with the "herbalist" labor.

I now have a burning urge to create a mango/apple/orange-tree farm.
I now have an urge to burn a mango/apple/orange-tree farm.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2009, 01:05:19 pm »

hmm... maybe you could throw fruit?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2009, 02:31:56 pm »

You could inject soft-skinned, squishy fruit with contact poison, and then toss it at enemies.

Or children could throw rotten fruit at prisoners.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2009, 09:54:34 pm »

Yeah.

I love mangos.

Mangos in curry, mango rum, mango salsa, mango sherbet, the mango drink they make in the Punjabi restaurant around here...

Damn, mangos are good.
My cousins call me mango...

And is there any chances of finding dikes ( the plant, and the geographical feature ) .
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23