Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54813 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2009, 10:29:11 pm »

You could even take that one further, and say 1 difference + wind in that direction.  We have 2 wind speeds as it stands (no direction, but that's easy...)  That would allow sand to actually form dunes (especially if you allowed for 2 spaces of lee per height..

Code: [Select]
would become
would become
would become
would become
Or something... You could run it so that dunes would form naturally, and sand would bunch up against buildings and even bury things...

AN EPIPHANY! thanks, and this will be added.

Barbarossa cancels immediate addition: hungry.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2009, 11:42:30 pm »

I like the idea about sand.

I don't know how suitable this is for this second but they appear aboveground so I'll mention this anyway. Currently there are only big roads and bridges (unless I'm mistaken), I think it would be nice to see small paths and even small bridges, rope bridges over steep canyons for example, not suitable for caravans however.

Currently rope bridges like this would be fairly useless as the land is covered in ramps and truly steep canyons are rare or non existent, but when the terrain really becomes a problem with travelling it could be an interesting an useful addition. You could even make canyons stop adventures when in T mode like how mountains do, causing players to look for these bridges to get past.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2009, 08:08:54 am »

rope bridges could work... two ropes for every tile, and you have a bridge that only bipeds can cross!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2009, 08:13:44 am »

Given the way roads work, it may be doable to say 1 rope per 4 tiles.

Max size that won't break it should cover your 'bipeds' issue.

Also... Cutting them for adventure action!!!

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2009, 03:39:09 pm »

Has anyone mentioned icebergs yet? Under the current system, I am pretty sure that an iceberg-like structure would just cause a cave in, but doesn't ice float? building a fort on an iceberg would be of dubious usefulness, but it would be neat to see them appear from time to time.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2009, 04:09:57 pm »

The bit about river stones had me thinking about placers. We already have this to an extent with the platinum deposits on beaches, but it could be expanded- add in other commonly found substances (gem gravels?), maybe put them along rivers too (although your dorfs would have to contend with the carp to get to it!)...
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2009, 09:51:44 pm »

I love the dunes idea put forth by Granite as an extension of RoboCicero's initial idea. This would make desert forts so much more interesting. The only problem comes from FPS hitting the single digits from a map-wide flow :P

Rope bridges have come up before and I have never understood why they (and their logical addition, rope ladders) have not yet been implemented.

To expand on InsanityPrelude's mention of river deposits, I'd like to see two connected additions: These deposits actually leading upriver to a vein (or more correctly the other way around) and the ability to pan for precious elements in rivers (surface and cave). The amount of work necessary to remove gold dust equal to a gold ore "rock" might be excessive, but it does pose a potential new labor and skill, as well as provide a very limited source of rare metals to a fort otherwise bereft of them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2009, 10:03:33 pm »

I just looked at the master list here and noticed that it has silkworms on it.

Honestly, I find this kind of redundant. DF already has phantom spiders and cave spiders as silk animals, and phantom spiders live above-ground. I guess a non-evil version would be nice, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2009, 08:08:58 am »

I love the dunes idea put forth by Granite as an extension of RoboCicero's initial idea. This would make desert forts so much more interesting. The only problem comes from FPS hitting the single digits from a map-wide flow :P

Yeah, that is a snag, isn't it ;)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2009, 09:05:53 am »

Honestly, I find this kind of redundant. DF already has phantom spiders and cave spiders as silk animals, and phantom spiders live above-ground. I guess a non-evil version would be nice, though.
Hey, we have a few dozen types of wood, not to mention metals and stones. The more the merrier.. Especially since silkworms are functionally different from cave spiders (not dangerous, above ground, etc.)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2009, 09:35:05 am »

Hey, we have a few dozen types of wood, not to mention metals and stones. The more the merrier.. Especially since silkworms are functionally different from cave spiders (not dangerous, above ground, etc.)

I think that's the problem though.  All of a sudden silk becomes easy.

Still, they'll probably get added about the same time cows get fixed

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:39 am »

Since dunes are much slower then water i wouldnt see that much problems with them.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:43 am »

Since dunes are much slower then water i wouldnt see that much problems with them.
Maybe only check them 1/100 as often as water? Remember sand is only a few layers thick, oceanside forts work pretty well with 10 Zs of water.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2009, 11:56:22 am »

I think that's the problem though.  All of a sudden silk becomes easy.

Well, if they took the amount of effort to get silk out of in game that they do in real life it'd make them a safe but labor-intensive way to get silk. Plus, they can only survive in certain climates, I think.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »

Wouldn't cave spider silk and giant cave spider silk still be more valuable anyway?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23