Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54790 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:02 pm »

Oh, how about having Australian-style hardcore wildlife.
Like tree-sized stinging nettles and killer water snakes.
And malignant jellyfish.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 05:08:41 pm »

In MTG you have many many worms ;) so i think they are entirly Public domain.

- sticky Spidernets
- glowing glowworms (as soon lighting goes in)
- creeping and strangleing vines
- Giant venus-people traps
- dangerous swamps and bogs

(much much later:
- areas with different speeds in time (f.e. areas wich do in one day normöla time a entire week internally)
)

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 05:44:59 pm »

Wyrm is a European dragon. It does give food for thought though

Let's mix a bit of both instead of making it the usual lamprey that lives in sand type. Think more on the lines of a seahorse spliced with a worm. And teeth. No arms or fins though. Just something that actually chews it's food
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:46:32 pm by Pilsu »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 06:02:00 pm »

I think what people are thinking of is a Wurm which basically functions under the rule of "Zombies"

(basically that the term Worm is so lame, that you try to avoid it. In the same way that almost no movie ever calls a Zombie a Zombie)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 06:15:54 pm »

"Wurm" is a old-German term that means "worm". Its the short form of Lindwurm (Lind = lint latin "snake") which is a relativ of dragon incapable of flight. It has usaly 2-4 Limbs (2 legs,4 legs, 2 legs 2 short wings)

Also Lind-worms often (depending on myth and region) lacked the ability to spit fire therefore stenched over miles and every body fluid was a very potent poison.

Dont confuse the lindworm with the much smaller tatzelwurm.

Fafnir from the "Nibelung legend" was a Lindworm and not a dragon.

edit: "wyrm" origates also to the Lindwurm since the "Würmer" respectively "Gewürm" are the plural forms of wurm and spoken like wyrm.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:35:06 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 06:28:54 pm »

"Orm" is another old version of the word.

Pilsu: I very much like your idea of the "sandhorse".
If you could elaborate on it, I'll consider it for my mod.

For some reason, I want it to have tentacles-broad, flat ones, for digging through the sand.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:53:31 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »

Ohh I should state that there are Clouds in Dwarf Fortress

They just don't do anything to my knowledge. (They also make shapes... for some reason...)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »

Well clouds are needed for rain appereantly :P and i think they get later also effects on lighting and other things. Since the wiki has no entry on this i also asume that you can get hints how the weather is going to change out of the forms.

Proud to be a Furry.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 11:34:45 pm »

really? there are clouds? they form shapes?!

anyways, I followed Othob's advice, and added/modded a few suggestions. Nice idea about making the colored ice as 'veins' instead of a random chance, honeybadger.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2009, 12:26:02 am »

Thanks!

Credit for that is really due to H, for posting those gorgeous, candy-striped iceburgs. After seeing those, the idea was pretty obvious.

I will clarify, though, that I'm not quite sure if DF currently models rock layers, in a visually noticeable way (as in actual rock strata). Veins seemed the more obvious choice, but only since they're very noticeable in ASCII.

By the way, in addition to materials strength, it would be great (for fossils) if there was a materials age, as well.

Possibly tied in to radioactivity (I'm thinking carbon dating, but other things have half-lives, too), and maybe rock metamorphosis, and fossil mineralization, could be modeled into that as well.

Nothing we'd ever see happening in a game, since the time-frames would be so huge, but it would be neat to have the game record that kind of info, and it would help set up prehistoric eras (which I'd really like to see someday).

Age of materials might also have much more noticeable effect on things like: wine and other alchohol, bone, iron/steel getting rusty, wood getting lighter/more stable, and eventually partially petrifying, etc.

Also, as far as cloud shapes go, maybe they could be set up with a large but finite, randomized set of basic forms (A), that could each be interpreted as "looking like ____", with a set of randomized possibilities for each dwarf, or other sentient, possibly based on personality (B)?

The basic forms could slowly shift from one to another (A1, A2, A3, A4, etc), and each dwarf that saw them could interpret them in a different way (A1 sub B1, A1 sub B2, A1 sub B3, and then A2 sub B1, B2, B3 etc.).

Hopefully, that would simulate the whole: "hey that cloud looks like a castle, no it looks like a tree, no it looks like a duck wearing a hat, yeah your right, it *does* look like a duck wearing a hat, does not, does too!...wait, now it looks like a carp wearing rollerskates" phenomena.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:52:49 am by SirHoneyBadger »

H

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2009, 04:28:31 am »

Of course the colors don't just come in streaks.  Check out: http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=24046 for a almost pure green one (about half way down).

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2009, 05:39:38 am »

H, those pics are giving me a serious craving for a Carvel icecream cake  :P

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2009, 03:34:10 pm »

anyways, I followed Othob's advice, and added/modded a few suggestions. Nice idea about making the colored ice as 'veins' instead of a random chance, honeybadger.

I also added in a note on the UD thread with a link here. Feel free to copy over any entries from the UD list that you think are applicable.

So far my favorite here is the Flooding entry. I'd love to have to deal with a yearly monsoon.

To the animals section : I'd like to see predator-prey relationships. It is odd to see a deer grazing in a swarm of wolves.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2009, 03:41:40 pm »

Simply dding veins into glaciers would absolutely fill them with veins due to how it works right now. Candy cane glaciers shouldn't be the norm

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2009, 03:43:59 pm »

I'd like to see more accurate and fleshed out biomes.

Tundra, for example, shouldn't be a permanently snow-covered wasteland. It's not exactly paradise, but it DOES get above freezing and actually has a growing season. And a pretty intense one, since the sun is up 24hrs a day during the height of summer. In fact, lots of birds flock to the tundras during the summer to breed because of the abundant water and insect life that shows up.

Swamps should also get better treatment. Right now they're pretty much identical to forests. I'd like to see more streams and ponds filling up a swamp biome. It could also have hazardous mud pits (like quicksand), giant carnivorous plants, huge insects, and the like.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23