Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54756 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:50 pm »

*Vikings
If Toady ever decides to go for distinct human cultures, Viking civilizations would be awesome, and would fit nicely with the dwarf-centred theme of the game. They'd be fond of hit-and-fade raiding (attacking swiftly, with the objective of taking as many supplies as possible along with livestock and people), especially against coastal targets or targets on or near rivers. If specifically based on Norwegians or Icelanders, they'd prefer to place their settlements on the shoreline, or preferably in sheltered bays. The forested Swedish and flat Danish environments are significantly less hostile than that of mountainous Norway and cold, wind-swept Iceland, and thus more people live inland in those countries. However, settling on the coast would help the Vikings trade and travel by sea, as was their nature, not to mention that it'd make for more frequent coastal raids. When/if ships are implemented, this civilization would really shine.

Viking-specific items would include sun compasses, sunstones, and maybe tablets or planks inscribed with runes. They'd live in towns centred around Longhouses and build saunas, that'd function much like statue gardens. They would have a fairly violent and macho culture (even though they were quite advanced in some ways - for example, they bathed once a week), and have "thralls", essentially a slave caste. They'd be ruled by councils of rulers who'd accept limited amounts of input from non-rulers during gatherings, in a sort of very rudimentary democracy. They'd do a fair level of trading, but would also not hesitate to turn to raiding and conquest should they find the opportunity to do so.

I long for the day when something like this happens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:55:28 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2010, 07:33:12 am »

I think we need a Cultural Diversity thread now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »

Definitely a negative, we should discuss only Vikings, Goths, Russians, Britons and other civilizations of the age in this thread from now on  :P .

(I agree)
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2010, 08:20:30 pm »

actually the northern cultures werent so macho in a sense that males were the only ones in the bash, you had women being macho too, they had the say in the house, and some women even became warriors, they even had a whole caste of goddesses as the valkyres and such, just to say... Id like to have specific cultures in the game, but why stop at the humans, you could have dark dwarves, elves of the seacoast, who cut down trees for a change to build boats, you could have trade goblins, who are hated by their cousins...

Cultures should be entirely different, but still be able to reproduce under one another, like an arabic human male and a viking human female could create offspring

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2010, 08:36:19 pm »

Three things.

1) Not doing cultures. Toady is in charge of how people act and look.

2) Valkyries aren't goddesses. They're messengers of Odin.

3) I dearly hope for ship combat as well, so would you mind if I stuck a copy of that post into the Watery Diversity thread?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2010, 08:38:18 pm »

well, even if, you have warrior women, if you meant me then please do so post this in watery diversity thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2010, 07:54:43 am »

They were more psychopomps then messengers.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2010, 10:52:14 am »

1) Not doing cultures. Toady is in charge of how people act and look.
'k. Looked for info on this, but didn't find any.

They also retrieve the souls of dead warriors from battlefields.

3) I dearly hope for ship combat as well, so would you mind if I stuck a copy of that post into the Watery Diversity thread?
Sure, go ahead.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:42:02 am by Safe-Keeper »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:04 am »

BAMP!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dragongutz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 06, 2011, 01:10:24 pm »

What about a shrine where an artifact/magic crystal(nothing like an artifact door, or any furniture, just things like magical staffs, weapons in general, armors or crystals like those of the Final Fantasy series) is guarded by one or more guardians, which may be some kind of weak random(or not) undead, some semi-megabest or megabeast, a titan, or a randomly generated all-powerful demigod.

Also, the artifact may have magical powers or be possessed by a previous owner, and may either help you in battle, give you one magical power(it can be chosen from a random one, like launching fire balls, lesser summoning, etc.) or make you get cursed by some random curse(maybe some random syndrome), and the crystal may either give you a stronger  magical power(summoning more powerful creatures, ability to instantly knock someone unconscious[this includes yourself, lol]), or else, it may free some titan/forgotten beast or thing like that which may be imprisoned inside.

What do you guys think?
Visit  my dragons, please.
Visit my city, too. I would be very happy if you could visit it each day to increase its population.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:47 am »

Super powerful magic like fireballs is not going to be included in the game, Toady said so himself. But having an artifact weapon give you greater combat abilities would be a good way of doing it.

The idea of a megabeast guarding an artifact is also a good idea. It reminds me of the Redwall books, where several times they have to get the sword of martin from some adversary/s that have acquired it, like a snake or a bunch of pigeons. I guess artifact weapons could also be wielded by generals and other high ranking people as well, whom you could the fight for the weapon.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 13, 2011, 02:43:24 am »

I believe fossils have been suggested before, but with undead becoming more significant lately, and with dwarfs having an obvious connection to stone, how about incorporeal dwarf spirits left untombed and unmemorialized for too long, having a chance to possess fossilized remains located on Fortress lands?

Rough stones and natural boulders of certain stone types could have a percentage chance of containing a hidden fossil. In the presence of an incorporeal dwarf spirit, the boulder containing this fossil could begin to function like an egg, eventually "hatching" into a particularly dangerous stone-based form of undead. This undead would basically function like a normal skeleton, but it's body would be tougher than normal bone (think Gabbro-man), and aside from being based on any number of dangerous prehistoric animals, it would gain Intelligent/Can Learn/Can Speak, and retain any skills that the dwarf might have possessed upon death, as natural (unrusting) skills. The souls of the most famous and powerful dwarfs might also gain the 'Power' tag, transforming into something not so far from a megabeast.

To keep the danger level and CPU usages from becoming too high, fossils could be checked for at the time of world-creation, and could be limited to appearing only in natural, unmined rock (so only surface rock and open cave systems+) that hasn't been smoothed yet, and only those rock types which typically contain fossils (limestone, sandstone, etc.). Defeating/destroying these undead monsters would then count as a "memorial", with the monster's remains serving that purpose, and possibly even becoming the equivalent of a masterwork engraved slab upon defeat.

Letting this process happen, and then destroying the resulting corporeal undead, while dangerous in itself, would atleast count as a third way of putting dangerous spirits to rest.
For they would be your masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:30 pm »

Geysers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 15, 2011, 11:27:49 pm »

Geysers would be nice, especially with the fact that they would indicate a magma pool only 4 or 5 z levels down right below a water pool or aquifer.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2011, 03:27:03 am »

One thing I've noticed is that invading armies (endless migrants included!) will quickly and easily cross what looks like the roughest, most inhospitable, exhausting, dangerous terrain, and emerge from it fresh as a daisy, and often able to walk all over a well rested, fully alert and equipped, defending army.

As an experienced hiker, I can tell you that marching up and down steep, unpaved terrain, often ankle+ deep in sand, mud, snow, or even loose, razor sharp stone, which has a decent chance of being covered in thick foliage, and infested with all manner of bugs, and sometimes even rattlesnakes, is not easy in the least.

Add to that the numbing cold and slippery ice of winter, the ubiquitous mud of spring, the heat and sweat and snakes of summer, and even the piles of fallen leaves and general dreariness of autumn.

Terrain bonuses and penalties deserve a place in a game as deep and complex as DF, and would add enormously to the potential for Fortress defense strategy.

It makes sense that we should be able to incorporate natural conditions into our Fortress defense, and that invaders should be granted every opportunity to experience the following:

sore feet, including blisters, sprains, and even cuts (are they wearing shoes? if so, are the shoes good quality?), as well as skinned knees, hands, and elbows from even short falls, which may lead to infection,
sunburn and heatstroke, especially in heavy armour, or skin freezing to metal,
all the effects of rain, lightning, snow, hail, high winds, etc.,
uncomfortable dirt and grit getting into poorer quality armour, and iron and steel armour rusting,
various combat penalties from sweat, and the greater risk of illness in general, from poor hygiene, since finding places to bathe may not be an easy or safe task,
thirst, hunger, and general fatigue, and the difficulty finding pure water and fresh wholesome food, as well as a safe place to sleep, and food and water themselves becoming spoiled,
bad falls (up to and including off of steep cliffs),
insect bites--which may carry poison and/or disease, and occasional animal attacks,
thorns and poisonous plants, including poison ivy,
numb fingers, chapped lips, and frostbite, and the difficulty-not to mention the potential risks in enemy territory-of building a fire and shelter, and becoming fireblind (temporarily losing night vision),
becoming (literally) bogged down in mires, quicksand, along shores, mud flats, or the floors of many caves,
additional mud, landslides, or even avalanches, caused directly by the marchers themselves,

And mounts, now that they're becoming a significant factor in ambushes and seiges alike, can also suffer falls, cracked, split, or rotten hooves, throw shoes (if they even have shoes), sprain or break legs, suffer panic attacks from loud noises or insect bites, fatigue and exhaustion from overwork and/or overburden (which can lead to their death), and even increase the chance for attacks by very large predators, such as rocs or dragons.

Most of these conditions wouldn't be experienced by the defenders of a prepaired and well-stocked Fortress for atleast a month or so into a seige, and to all of this, you can add myriad traps, pitfalls, moats, walls, and other defensive works, drawbridges, ambush sites, guard animals, poisoned or simply removed food and water sources, interesting catapult loads such as: bee's nests, animal corpses, quicklime, and red hot sand, aided by intentional deforestation and removal of plants, or even salting the soil outside your Fortress, to create clear lines of fire, fields of caltrops, broken glass, poison ivy/oak/sumac, oil slicks, punji sticks, gazebos, hideously terrifying and dangerous koi ponds, etc.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23