Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54770 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 10:04:35 pm »

I'm gonna stay away from sociological things, I'll stick to Flora, Fauna, and Rocks.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 10:26:35 pm »

Have riverbanks etc burst and flood the surrounding land. Easy way to drown surrounding units and to mudify the landscape.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 10:30:09 pm »

burst?

more like a seasonal floodplain effect, depending on the size of the river and if it has a canyon.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 04:18:20 am »

Sundials (I know it's been suggested before, but I've only seen it in a mod, as a toy, and I'd like some that actually work), and structures that are astronomical in nature (as in Stonehenge-style calendars).

We might someday, with the advent of a starry night sky, be able to build these, ourselves, but it'd be great if the game would generate a few such prehistorical structures, by itself.

Also, coral reefs, "black ice"-tending to form on bridges, specifically, and the Aurora Borealis.

Does anybody know if we have solar eclipses in the game, currently? Also, unless it's already planned, when we get earthquakes it'd be great if animals started acting strangely.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:30:06 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 01:06:33 pm »

CURSE YOU REAL LIFE!!!

Show me some pictures. I find it dubious in all the arctic bullshit I've seen not once has a researcher mentioned or showed colorful ice to the cameracrew

It takes a really heavy concentration of dye to color ice to any real degree. I don't really think micro organisms are gonna match beet root juice

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 10:58:14 pm »

Dang, those are purdy! Added, btw.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 01:04:51 am »

Oh, on the subject of trees, and coral reefs--I know the subject of creatures/plants taking up more than one space has been suggested before, but with genetics coming in, how about the possibility of macro-organisms? (Not the true definition, I know, but I can't think of a better one right now.)

This is where the landscape itself (examples include: a big coral reef, the honey mushroom, Poseidnia Oceanica, a creosote bush, or a massive Aspen tree root system) is dominated by not one single huge organism, but an entire structure of them, that usually shares an identical DNA (with coral reefs being one possible exception.).

This wouldn't be a single organizm that just covered severa spaces/z-levels, this would be a single (sortof) organism that was the size of a chasm, or an underground river, or even larger, and had the same level of impact on the environment as other major geological features (as in, whole civilizations of animalmen could live in it, for instance.).

Such a thing would be practically impossible to completely destroy (except possibly with heavy uses of magma, but even that might not be a guarantee of total oblivion), and it would keep on growing, and living, for thousands and thousands of years, having an enormous impact on the surrounding environment, and possibly providing many different benefits and dangers (and different resources, from the same creature).

It could function as a cross between standard geological bands (marble, granite, etc), and plantlife, so that in the place of gems, you might have fruit, or jewellery-quality corals, as well as extracts, wood/mineable coral, food products, etc. 

The giant lifeform could also provide shelter for hundreds/thousands of other creatures, ofcourse, and that would also add to both the benefits, and the dangers present. 

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:48 am »

Maybe multiple level trees. once cut down they might fall on woodcutters depending on their skill, but this would have to be a low chance. Also they would give more wood than single level trees.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 02:57:58 pm »

Google is your friend:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/stripedicebergs.asp
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/art/archives/141487.asp
http://www.dailycognition.com/index.php/2008/08/11/amazing-pictures-of-color-striped-icebergs-in-antarctic.html

Admittedly purdy but the suggestion was worded as adding red etc ice. This would almost inevitably result in glaciers that are entirely red like those ugly red sand deserts

If the game could handle that in an aesthetically pleasing way, by all means. Glaciers could use some work as a whole

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 03:01:39 pm »

Maybe have "veins" of colored ice running through the regular stuff? With a selection of different "basic" flavors of packed ice (I can't help but to think of Italian Ice, every time I think about colored glaciers) possible.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 03:03:52 pm »

Othob Rithol, If you would rather me not use your awesome layout, PM me.

Remove that, and add to the very bottom:
Code: [Select]
[hr]
Formatting inspired by Othob Rithol's [url=http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22308.0] Underground Diversity Thread [/url]

And we will have much rejoicing!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 03:12:07 pm »

Certain very large deserts should become Dune-style megadeserts, full of all kinds of crazy things that exist nowhere else.
Especially spice mining and sandworms.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 03:26:38 pm »

As American Courts have said "You cannot copyright functionality".

Anyhow let me think of some more because I am obviously crazy
-Note: I wasn't considering unicolored Glaciers... though... that would be interesting.

-Frozen Fossils: Being stuck in ice or ontop of the highest mountains often creates mummies.
-Sand Storm: Blinding, blistering, blown sand makes traveling the desert more then a game of water.
-Cabin: There is a cabin in the woods. Who lives there? Perhaps a powerful adventurer?
-Crystalised Beings: Creatures stuck in large crystals possibly for eternity. Were they some unlucky creature, Great adventurer, or being so dangerous that the world is in danger? May not be real but it is interesting.
-Amber Fossils: Amber is another method (assuming the movie was correct) of preserving fossils. (May be underground oops)
-Spherical Land Convergence: Spherical lands may not be contradictory in nature, perhaps they can converge.
-Tents, egloo, shelter: Other forms of housing may be useful especially for other races and locations.
-Bees, Ants, and Termites Ohh my!: Hive making creatures are great as well as Vermin capable of harming or even slaying other creatures in dirrect combat.
-Impossible Climb: Mountains so tall that they are quite litterally impossible to climb. Perhaps they go on forever, maybe it leads to a different world all together.
-Supernatural Locations of Balance: Mouth to the underworld, a portal where all the earth's water comes from. These are obviously supernatural locations that keep the world in check, possibly protected by powerful beings or civilisations. Heaven help the world that has these taken by malevolent beings.
-Reflective Location: You find a stretch of land made of a reflective quartz, you decide to treck across it only to notice not only does this location bake you alive, but it also makes you near blind. Snow is an example of this in real life.
-Poisonous Pollon/Spores: Flowers and Fungus capable of poisoning you through the air is not only interesting, but it can set the backdrop for some of the most dangerous locations capable of being generated. Bonus if they are addictive and thus a civilisation forms over the area incapable of leaving or they will die of withdraw.
-Temperature Paradox / Living Fossils: Locations that seem to betray the climate of the surrounding areas. It could be an effect of a Spherical land but all you know is that strange and ancient creatures seem to roam these lands.
-Living Fossils version 2: Perhaps during world generation there could be sets of creatures and plants made to simply die off. climate and rare instances could very well preserve these creatures and plants. Perhaps one generation the T-rex still roams the earth. This is a real life occurance.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 04:38:13 pm »

Well, sand worms have kind of almost entered public domain, in a quasi "change the name by a letter so nobody will ever find out" kind of way, usually to "sand wyrm", which actually sounds better, for fantasy world purposes, in my opinion.

On the other hand, other elements of Dune--spice mining, crys-knives, the orange bible, etc. are more recogniseable, as specific elements of that series.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23