Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54774 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2009, 06:05:47 am »

It's because trees only catch fire if there's fire in their tile, and because there's a tee there, fire can't be there, so they don't catch fire. Thats how grass burns, don't cha know?

I personally have problems in everyday life determining where my tile ends. Often, I unnecesarily lie on the ground when crossing someone's path in corridors.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2009, 10:48:42 am »

if you have ever seen a forest after a forest fire, you'll notice a lot of standing trees, no leaves mind you, but the trees are still standing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here is the most devastating picture i found, notice the tree line in the background:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
most likely a tropical forest.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2009, 12:42:22 pm »

Well, some should fall down, and what I meant was that trees should actually burn and become dead, instead of being alive and unharmed after a forest fire.

adding burning trees and "world trees" to the main post.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2009, 02:41:47 am »

what's up with "eco friendly" stuff anyway.  if you look at the aftermath of forest fires you'll notice that the forests with lots of dead brush ends up recovering faster than those without, so if you clean it up and reduce the chances of it happening you are just slowing a natural cycle.  the same happens with oil spills, the "eco friendly" countries go out and steam clean the place after the volunteers are through, and they get almost all the oil.  not so "eco friendly" countries don't even get volunteers to go out and clean and end up getting almost none of the oil.  the "eco friendly" countries have a barren wasteland for decades, while the not so "eco friendly" countries have an oil spill that lasts years, thus one has a dead zone for decades and the other for years.

i think that elves should create "eco friendly" areas that are devoid of life.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2009, 08:18:34 am »

I'd like to see some actual sources about the "don't clean up oil spills and the land recovers faster" premise you're giving.

Bay12Games: From game-related discussion to political grandstanding in one post.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:03 am »

I will control this topic with an iron fist!

If the next few posts aren't completely related to the actual topic or suggesting things, things are gonna get ugly.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2009, 11:58:00 am »

On the Item is a picture of a ironfist in seal-leather. On the item is a picture of a crown in native platinum. On the Item is a picture of the overground filled with phanatstic stuff in diamonds it relates to the rule of Barbossa the Seal god in this treat by the year of 2009.

Well back to some suggestions:

Dangerous hail and Rain.

Hail, if big enough, can damage structures and living beings. After the hail is molten it can create dangerous Side-effects like heavy rain. Thgis dangers include Landslides, spontaneous floods and lowered sight. Also rain could make soil muddy in a way that it is slippery like hell or is so sticky that your move speed is lowered or you sink in.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:05:51 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2009, 12:04:09 pm »

Oh yeah! Hail! I hear that the average hailstone in some parts of north central USA (EG: michigan) can get fist sized hailstones!

adding to the main post.

PS: Making the underwater diversity topic later today.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:58 pm »

Kudzu and Ivy are hinted at, but not called out.  Lower bits of outside castle forts turning green (and called 'ivy coated granite' could be cool).  for people looking in 2d it'd be blah, but think about the visualizers!

Vines slowing movement?  Trees 'killing' or restricting undergrowth in their viscintiy is also neat.  -1/4 growth chance or so, such that a square with lots of trees in the area won't grow anything, but in lightly tree'd areas you'd get dense undergrowth.  (This will be especially cool when animals need various forms of density to survive)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2009, 12:27:10 pm »

I'll update the main post for that stuff.

Also, all of the stuff for water features and stuff like that is moving to Watery Diversity.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2009, 03:31:41 pm »

i just wanted wastelands, kinda like how Jerusalem had a rich lumber industry way back in the day, or Iran was one of the main producers of food for the world back during the height of the Persian kingdom.  i felt that elves would be a great candidate for creating wastelands due to the expectation that there settlements would not harm nature, so instead they would go out and harm nature abroad.  other cultures would go out and do trapping or lumber jacking in an area somewhat away from their settlements, while elves would go out and create wastelands, typically in an area where another group was making use of the land.

the best part is that both sides would blame the other group for the wasteland.  during dwarf fortress having a group of elves coming to your fortress would mean you would have to sally forth and drive them away or they will strip the area of life.

granted i guess kobolds could be the cause of such, but they already do baby snatching.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2009, 03:54:52 pm »

So elves would cut down trees away from home because it's politically expedient and then blame dwarves for cutting trees around their homes because elves(traders) actually GO there?  Sounds interesting...  (Or use their animal buddy skill to not worry about roaming far and wide looking for fallen trees, whereas dwarves can't do that)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2009, 10:09:53 am »

added peat bogs and tar pits.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2009, 01:51:00 pm »

terraforming, the ability for sentients to create geological features, that normally are natural.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 14, 2009, 04:39:39 pm »

Do we have pin winds up yet?

Once gusting wind gets in, make occasional straight line super-winds that could crank a windmill up to 40 or 50 power, but only for a couple of frames.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23