Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54794 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2009, 07:10:42 pm »

Yeah, I suggested something similar in the swamp thread-maybe some of those ideas would be applicable here as well. Beware, I tend to write walls of text when making suggestions in detail. To sum it up, giant carnivorous plants-perhaps with the ability to move in the case of sundews, since it isn't TOO much of a stretch-would be useful and fun, along with new, more...ancient threats lurking in the swamps.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2009, 03:00:50 am »

doesn't look like anybody has suggested mesas.  a sheer cliff surrounding a flat topped mountain.

what about geysers? where you have under ground water and under ground lava you might get geysers.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2009, 09:38:03 am »

Well i would think Geysers are more a underground suggestion then a aboveground suggestion.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2009, 09:51:27 am »

Both, in truth-while the magma heats the water, pressurizing it, and turns it into steams, the actual eruption takes place above the surface. Speaking of volcanic features, hot springs and mudpots (acidic hotsprings where microbes live that convert hydrogen sulfide (produced down below) into sulfuric acid as their form of metabolism. If I remember correctly, the microbes and stuff in the water can create interesting colors.)
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2009, 02:15:03 pm »

doesn't look like anybody has suggested mesas.  a sheer cliff surrounding a flat topped mountain.

what about geysers? where you have under ground water and under ground lava you might get geysers.
A mesa fort would be epic to start with, think of the awesomeness of building on and covering the entire mesa in steel!
A must have!
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2009, 02:16:56 pm »

Steppes too. You might have some kind of Nomadic invasion spawning from the Steppe.
For they would be your masters.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2009, 03:03:43 pm »

steppe is already possible, though no civilization makes use of this for nomadic folk and such.  all you need is:
  Trees - none, or scarce
  Other Vegetation - moderate, or thick
  Temperature/Climate - temperate, or warm

hence a grassland or savanna

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2009, 03:26:14 pm »

Another link between this and the Swamp of Forever thread, but how about floating islands of peat/dead plant matter in swamps (or perhaps more accurately in bogs)? It might-in fact almost certainly would-require a revamp of how water pressure works, but it would make swamps/bogs and the like FAR more interesting, just on its own. Would also be pretty challenging to build a fort on top of it.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2009, 06:11:43 pm »

Giant Turtle! *brick'd*

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2009, 06:24:22 pm »

Ah, how I loved that suggestion...impractical as it was, it did have a charm to it. Anyway, I'd like to import my idea for swamp-based carnivorous plants from the swamp thread:

Now, one of the interesting things about bogs is the fact the soil/peat/etc is often very poor in nitrogen. This is the environment where carnivorous plants live and thrive, since they don't rely on soil bound nitrogen, but rather the nitrogen present in animals. Flytraps, sundews, and pitcher plants all live in this kind of environment-and larger versions could end up posing a significant hazard for a wandering dwarf. Making a pit and carefully growing a "garden" of these could also create a interesting way to deal with sieges. It might also be possible to collect the sweet secretions that sundews make to attract prey...at a risk, of course, for giant sundews. This could be used as an ingredient for cooking or as a base for liquor.

As an addendum, they might be mobile and capturable, or at least sundews (since they move pretty extensively when they contact prey, it's not too much of a stretch)

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2009, 01:50:39 am »

Having towers and mausoleums and crypts and dungeons and temples and areas of conflict in swamps (as well as other areas) more frequently on the world map would be very fun.  Image a sinking tomb in the swamp of forever, looming, waiting eagerly to take the lives of your champions away from you!

Having random, abandoned structures like this with more occurence on the map would be very cool, and reclaiming them if its worth it could be a more intersting neighboring game element rather than having some other sentient creature's compound right on top of you.
Computer says 'No'.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2009, 06:37:18 pm »

This is a biodiversity suggestion-have animals living on islands exhibit insular dwarfism (the phenomenon where animals living on island end up evolving to be much smaller than their counterparts on the mainland) and island gigantism. As an example of the former, there is rather famously the real-life "hobbit" H. Florensis (still controversy over whether it is a separate species), the key deer, the (extinct) honshu wolf, and various examples which arose in recent geologic history such as pygmy mammoths, elephants, mastodons, and other normally large creatures. On the other end of the scale, you get gigantism resulting in creatures like the giant moas, RL giant eagles (Hast's Eagle grew to a size, and especially weight, to where it could hunt the moa), the komodo dragon, elephant bird (also extinct-many of these species were the first to be wiped out when humans found their islands, sadly), galapagos tortises, and many more. It would be interesting to see this in-game as well.

Edit: Ass an addendum, I would also like to see scavengers-vultures, jackals, hyenas, etc-feed on carcasses that get left sitting around-many predators also scavenge when possible, so pretty much every predator in game would also be able to do this. Would give one hell of an incentive to make a proper graveyard/crypt asap, instead of letting the dwarf bones just sit there until it's convenient. Admittedly, this practice may be part of the reason i tend to get tantrum spirals...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:34:44 pm by Byakugan01 »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2009, 03:39:01 pm »

Added shrines, sunken ships, invasive species, and I moved some stuff (EG: guard posts) to better locations.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2009, 11:28:08 am »

Wind gusts. I.E., random bursts of wind that would temporarily provide a boatload of power to a windmill, and then stop.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2009, 12:03:03 pm »

Wind gusts. I.E., random bursts of wind that would temporarily provide a boatload of power to a windmill, and then stop.
Maybe shove around lightweight items outside? Like that GCS silk sock left over from the last siege.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23