Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Aboveground Diversity  (Read 54765 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aboveground Diversity
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 02:01:15 pm »

Oases, sandstorms, rainfall heavy enough to create water all over, blizzards that create snow which is basically magma without the immediate death, canyons, the rivers that flow within, woodland that isn't littered with ponds (seriously, what?), shrubs that slow your movement speed and the resultant automatic traffic cost increase and more varied types of berries and tubers, preferably varieties that cannot be grown so herbalists aren't nigh useless. More dye plants and the mixing of. More meaningful weather and temperature systems

Don't much care for colored ice. It'd be brightly colored and thus look pretty dumb. You usually need to really go out of your way to dye it to get anything beyond a slight tint

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 02:04:36 pm »

Don't much care for colored ice. It'd be brightly colored and thus look pretty dumb

CURSE YOU REAL LIFE!!!

I wondered why Toady never included a Platapus in the game.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »

about the ice, it'd be cool (hehe) if only to add some color to your glacial residence.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 02:37:53 pm »

Geology:

- erratic boulder (multitile tiles)
- Rockneedles (like these: 1,2,2 ) and Karst topologics
- realistic Waterfalls (with microbiomes, noise, plungpool and undercutting.)
- Katarakts (ramps instead of a one-tile fall)
- Fords
- glacerical valleys
- ice-dams

Biomes:

- Mosses and lichens
- in mountains thin soilcovering  with grasses (depending on weather and hight) - works only once for farming(?)
- realistic riverbiomes, waterplants, reeds, ducks, otters. + not so straight shores and Floodplains with floodplain-forrests.
- cliff-biomes - plants and animals (eagles f.e.) lifing in cliffs and rockfaces
- brack-water biomes (Zone at a rivers mouth)
- Ravine forests
- Windbreaks + storm wood
- different growthrates for trees
- shrooms etc. on trees
- heathland

Culture:

- realistic buildings and different styles. Human timbercabins were a exception in history. timber-frames, and cob buildings as well as other building materials.
- castles, Strongholds, forts, watchtowers (lifing and ruins) at important/tactical valueable sites.
- Monasterys
- Cult-places and objects ( Menhirs, wells, fireplaces, Altars )
- Human-mines and stripmines
- Fences and high seats (herding/hunt)
- Mailstations/Inns

Ok this should cover most of the things i miss and yes i know that some of the stuff is in the dev-list but i dont have the time for checking each point.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:40:47 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 05:36:59 pm »

It took a while, but we now have a crazy awesome OP.
Great. Are you putting in the suggestions of the other thread as well?

Quote from: Barbarossa the Seal God link=topic=31613.msg444164#msg444164

just a reminder- not every submission will be added, but most will. Seas of silt, maybe, but not seas of wine. (sorry honey badger)
If I'm not mistaken, the possibility of rivers of blood was mentioned in the devs or by Toady, so you might as well put it in as "watery features with other liquids" or somesuch.
Mine's based primarily on the River Styx, anyway, from Greek myth.
For they would be your masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 05:47:36 pm »

Heph, I like where your ideas are going but  some of them would have no use whatsoever. could you please explain these ones better?

Katarakts (I can only find articles about eyesight for this one)

What Brackish water would be like

Windbreaks (wouldn't these be walls?)

Shrooms on trees (how would they effect the tree?)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 05:54:26 pm »

Trees need some major overhauling.

I want to see old growth forests with trees that occupy 9 or more tiles and twenty plus z-levels. Big huge branches radiating out are a must. Big huge root systems are a must. You should be able to cut them down, but the elves are going to get a bit snippy with you if you do, and it'll take you a loooong time. And they're going to fell other trees on their way down, you best be sure. Ideally you'd be able to have branches break off in the canopies of other trees which plummet to the ground and maim or kill your dwarfs. Same thing with windstorms.

If you had really big trees, it might be interesting to find some of the hollowed out with insect-men or animal-men living in them, or maybe even elves. You could have a whole range of canopy-dwelling animals as well. Rainforests could be very interesting, with animals and vermin that never touch the ground, and plants like bromeliads that only grow on trees. Mushrooms and fungus that grown in trees would also be a nice addition.

There's so much more I could say about this. But you're already thinking tl;dr.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 06:11:28 pm »

As awesome as that would be, first we'd need a way for a tree to grow over time, and then a way for it to branch out and grow roots.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 06:27:04 pm »

Enormous old trees might, themselves, be possessed of souls, or possessed by spirits/gods.

Trees might even be the focus of greater gods, such as the old Norse temple of Gamla Uppsala (these links have some good general information about the Norse religion in Sweden, too, if anyone's interested--Pretty intense stuff.). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamla_Uppsala

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_at_Uppsala

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »

A Catarakt is something between a large "Rapid" and a waterfall.

I would call this and this Catarakts

A Windbreak is a part of the forest where wind did force the trees to fall over or fracture(?). This things can get fairly huge and open the forrest even more to the forces of weather. This "windbreak" was done by the orcan Kyrill in 2007 in the saxon alps (germany).

Brack water is a mix of fresh and Saltwater. Huge Brack-water zones are found at the mouths of mayor rivers. This regions have a ever changing salinity (which still stays between salt and freshwater salinity) and by this have a very special flora and fauna. In more tropical regions you find often Mangrove-forrests lifing in the Brack-water zones.

Mushrooms and other parasits/symbionts take advantage of ill and damaged trees. Many of them have more or less usage as drugs or medicin. They get interresting if Multitile trees etc come. Apart form that we dont have any parasits of any kind in the game yet except Kobolds and cats.

Ah icedam is by the way a natural dam of ice that holds a lake. many of this lakes can be found next to or on glaciers.

Oh and glaciers would be neat with cracks and areas that can cave in if somebody walks over them.

edit On Multitile trees: Fast growing wood might be needed. Stuff like beech tree ,pines and firs are good for this. a single tile wide one tile roots and 4 Tiles high. With ropes and a proficient woodcutter you could determine the fall direction.

edit2: The line between ruins and geological features in the op is broken.

edit3: Not all stuff needs to have "usage". Much stuff is only cosmetical but would enchance the immersion of the game. They would make aboveground areas less repeating and more beautifull.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:16:52 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 08:28:56 pm »

The line between ruins and geological features in the op is broken.

does it show up weird? I had to use underscores because for some reason it wouldn't let me add a horizontal rule there.

Thanks for clarifying on catarakts.

What ideas do you have for things in brack water?

Icedams would be difficult, seeing how most water freezes at the same time in DF.

I agree about the rope thing, you should be able to determine the fall direction with proper planning.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 08:51:42 pm »

"Pretty rocks! - At the bottom of a river, there may be smooth boulders, (like a large gem but worth less) or smooth pebbles in a stream bed. (a cheap small gem)"

This gave me an idea: Sometimes, dwarfs could base artifacts, or other items they chose to make for themselves, on interesting or sentimental (to them) but otherwise low-valuable materials, such as a pretty rock, a knot of wood, a bone, etc.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 09:12:24 pm »

Kind of like my artifact... but more on that later, and in another topic...

Well, you can make a topic about that if you want, but It doesn't fit in too well with 'above ground stuff'.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 09:18:29 pm »

More varied sizes of features. Aka, different sizes of water masses between oceans, ocean-like lakes and small ponds. Perhaps lakes that take up one regional tile?

Small hills.

I would suggest mesas, but remove the ramps from a hill and you basically have this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 09:44:07 pm »

Perhaps monoliths, that make other creatures sentient? Imagine what would happen if you accidentally dropped it in the carp pool.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23