Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: territory games  (Read 1389 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
territory games
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:09:42 pm »

im not talking about teritory as in strategic points that you have to capture, im talking about a territoy that slowly spreads, like disciples 2... the area around towns and your main castle will be a forest if your elves or snowy mountians if your dwarves, and it would spread each turn based on how much influence you had. it could be expanded with rods that certian commanders can place. when a territory reaches a resource you get control of it.

i want another game that has that a territory creeping foward that effect the battle

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: territory games
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:18:29 pm »

Try any of the Dominions series (although I believe the first one has the most drastic visible changes), Age of Wonders 2 (the spreading is spell-based, not race-based, so you don't automatically start with it), or some other game whose name currently slips my memory...

Heroes of Annihilated Empires has this to a lesser effect, where the change is purely visual.  You can also play StarCraft or Warcraft 3, as they both include sides that have terrain spreading.

But Dominions sounds pretty close to what you're describing.  I'd suggest you try that first.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »

Civilization series starting from 3 sort of come to mind. That is, the bigger your settlement and the greater your influence, the bigger your territory radius from that settlement, which has an effect primarily on diplomacy (for example, high influence can make neighbouring enemy cities revolt and join you), but also on resource gathering in that settlement. Things like irrigations and roads don't form by themselves though, you require workers to do it manually.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:50:13 pm »

i cant find anything about dominion games......only thing is this text only game

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:54:41 pm »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:39:27 am »

That's the third one.  The first one had a different terrain interface that would change depending on the domain scales that influenced the areas.  I know changes like that weren't present in the second one, but I haven't had enough experience with the third one to know if they've managed to tweak the new look so that it changes graphically.

The dominion does have a very strong effect in all three games, however.  In fact, it's one of the biggest factors.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:56:46 am »

I've tried to play dominion, I really have... I just can't seem to like it. :(

Even tho the huge battles actually looked neat.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:04:00 am »

I like it, but I'm damn terrible at it.  The computer whups me every time unless I play Ermor.

FoboslC

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:01:08 pm »

Settlers :D

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:20 pm »

StarCraft or Warcraft

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »

I guess you could always try Colors of War. Can't find a link right now, but it came with an el cheapo eGames Entertainment Suite.

A bunch of different colors  try to take over the board. It's sort of like LiquidWar, but they don't actually move.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:11:09 pm »

StarCraft or Warcraft

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

SEEEEECCCCOOOONNNNNNDDDDEEEEEEDDDDD!

*Cough*
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 03:05:13 pm »

Rise of Nations had (semi)functional borders that expand when you build things near them. There's also a spin-off called Rise of Legends but it isn't that fantastic.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE