Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Um, Animal-man invasion?  (Read 6794 times)

mitternacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Um, Animal-man invasion?
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:35:05 pm »

Hi, I'm new to DF, so I apologize if this is redundant/stupid. I'm playing a bronze colossus armed with an iron axe and hammer. I was heading up a high mountain to report the death of a cyclops I killed to a dark fortress (I'm planning to kill the head demon, any advice?).

Anyways, when I got near to the goblins, I'm bombarded with messages of them fighting a huge number of antmen, ratmen, large rats, trolls, troglodytes, a few snake- and lizardmen and cave swallowmen. The reptile-men died out early in the fight, the rats, the ratmen and antmen serving as distractions and grapplers, while the trolls and troglodytes did the heavy hitting. Their high priest and a guard did a last stand in the temple, but alas the guard got pinned down by large rats and an antwoman, got all of his limbs broken and his chest opened up by a troll. Same thing happened to the high priest. A little gobbo girl (the HP daughter as I later found out) ran out to attack the antman that finished her father, managed to pierce a few thoraxes and eye-gouge a troll before the same antman that killed her father stripped of her loincloth and tunic and beat her to death with them. A priestess and a female macegoblin and massacred the intrudes that where in the temple, but over-exerted themselves doing so and couldn't help the guards fighting the rest of the wave at the entrances of one of the towers. They doing okay, save for a few civilians and a goblin wrestler who was being tortured.   

When I got within sight range of the fortress, I ran into the reinforcements. I had to hack down 114 animal-men and trolls before I could reach the entrance of a tower. To experiment I decide to retire a peasant there. When I started up again, my colossus was surrounded by a horde of antmen, trolls and troglodytes. Lotta messages of civilians get brained and of goblin soldiers getting pinned down. A cook who had her legs crippled crawled under me for protection. I killed over 300 of them before I could move freely(the cook bled tom death tho). I see some gobbos fighting a mob some distance away for a tower so I move to help, but was too slow. Their demon finally comes out to help, but flies up to fight with cave swallowmen, rather than help her gobbos. 19 goblins die before she finally comes down and uses her firebreath on the antmen.

In short large numbers of goblins are killed before the horde stops . Where did they all come form? 

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Animal-man invasion?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:53:30 pm »

Goblins like to build their fortresses near chasms, and chasms have this interesting trick where they respawn the standard enemy load each time you enter the map, but without first despawning the old group.  I like to use these places as training areas, as you're guaranteed an endless supply of enemies as long as you can Travel away sometimes.

This also means you can destroy goblin fortresses without raising a hand against them, assuming you can survive the horde of enemies you spawn upon arrival.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:38:14 pm »

Goblins like to build their fortresses near chasms, and chasms have this interesting trick where they respawn the standard enemy load each time you enter the map, but without first despawning the old group.
This is useful information for an aspiring deathtrap builder. I TIP MY HAT TO YOU

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:15:05 pm »

Hi!

Oh, that is really good information for me as well. I just started doing a little adventure mode in between as well.

Too bad I didn't know sooner, because now I have probably ruined a really nice site. On the map I have, there is a nice cave full to the brim of undead and I found them to be real fun to play with. But I noticed that things got slower and slower after I visited two or three times. The problem: there is a chasm opening straight up to the surface right next to the cave (I am always greeted by announcements of some skeletal lizardmen falling into the chasm; but the cave and the chasm don't touch, it seems). So I assume that by visiting several times, I have filled that area with too many beasties (T_T).

Oh, well, so I should look somewhere else, I guess :) :)

Deathworks

mitternacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:46:21 pm »

Thanks for the info. Interesting... Any advice on fighting/killing the demon? I want to fight her personally.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »

Goblins like to build their fortresses near chasms, and chasms have this interesting trick where they respawn the standard enemy load each time you enter the map, but without first despawning the old group.  I like to use these places as training areas, as you're guaranteed an endless supply of enemies as long as you can Travel away sometimes.

This also means you can destroy goblin fortresses without raising a hand against them, assuming you can survive the horde of enemies you spawn upon arrival.

Wait, the chasm critters respawn every single time? I need to visit a chasm 10 or 12 times with an adventurer and then settle a fort on top of it. This could be the ticket to keeping my zoos well stocked.  :)

[Edit: Me fail English.]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:39:53 pm by Awayfarer »
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 06:42:52 pm »

the same antman that killed her father stripped of her loincloth and tunic and beat her to death with them

Awesomest battle situation ever.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 07:06:52 pm »

It's official.

Antmen are pedophiles.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:11:10 am »

It's actually a really awesome glitch if you have a bored adventurer.  I spent a long time at a goblin citadel with this problem trying to save them (I think I had something like 300 kills before I died).  I was finally taken down because all of the goblins, including their demon leader, had been killed by the unending hordes.  I think the semicircle around me was around three rows deep, and I only technically lost because someone got a lucky hit and broke my axe arm, forcing me to overexert while trying to shield bash/wrestle back into a good position to pick up my weapon.

Still took them a long time to finish me.  Bone-gnawing weaklings.

I think the enemies also keep spawning while you're on the map, just at a slower pace than if you Travel and then come back.  I was camping the spawn point next to a chasm for a while, but it takes several in-game hours before a new batch shows up.

I tried to settle on the site with dwarves later.  There were no survivors.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:09:56 am »

i remember someone posting a thread a while back about first encountering something like this, and how the demon civ leader died from the burning pile of chasm creature corpses it was standing upon. the demon having fireballed everything in sight and been caught inside amongst the flaming bodies of its enimies.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:37 am »

i remember someone posting a thread a while back about first encountering something like this, and how the demon civ leader died from the burning pile of chasm creature corpses it was standing upon. the demon having fireballed everything in sight and been caught inside amongst the flaming bodies of its enimies.

That would be me.

Turns out demons are like dragons, and are only immune to the fire they personally generate.  It was kind of a sucky end for the demon, since it was annihilating everything and singlehandedly saving its people beforehand.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 05:22:53 am »

Sounds epic to me.  The demon going out in a blaze of glory, overcome by the intense fires of its own magic and the exertions of trying to unleash hell itself on the interlopers.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:18:55 pm »

Sounds epic to me.  The demon going out in a blaze of glory, overcome by the intense fires of its own magic and the exertions of trying to unleash hell itself on the interlopers.
And all you get in Legends is "The demon died in the heat".

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 03:09:25 pm »

It's actually a really awesome glitch if you have a bored adventurer.  I spent a long time at a goblin citadel with this problem trying to save them (I think I had something like 300 kills before I died).  I was finally taken down because all of the goblins, including their demon leader, had been killed by the unending hordes.  I think the semicircle around me was around three rows deep, and I only technically lost because someone got a lucky hit and broke my axe arm, forcing me to overexert while trying to shield bash/wrestle back into a good position to pick up my weapon.

Still took them a long time to finish me.  Bone-gnawing weaklings.

I think the enemies also keep spawning while you're on the map, just at a slower pace than if you Travel and then come back.  I was camping the spawn point next to a chasm for a while, but it takes several in-game hours before a new batch shows up.

I tried to settle on the site with dwarves later.  There were no survivors.

I had a fort that, due to an insanely evil race of evil insects, was destroyed.  I visited it with an adventurer or two, who both died.  Then I reclaimed it.  I would probably have managed to retake it, except that there were more than 30 GCS on the map, so by the time I killed them all, my dwarves were all tantruming.  Truly, it was an epic battle of Epicness.  Unfortunately, I have since deleted that whole save file.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 03:51:24 pm »

I have never seen so many enemies at a chasm! I usually get around ten or so if I'm lucky. Guess I should leave and come back a few times.  ;)

I had something epic like this though, only it was horses and macaques in .38c. It's hilarious when the priests lose a fight against an army of monkeys. :D
I remember the high priest got pushed off the highest level, and fell into the temple's pond, where he broke most of his limbs and drowned.
Pages: [1] 2