Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your starting build?  (Read 2921 times)

Lowtierhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your starting build?
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:37:07 pm »

How do you often start your adventurer?

My staple build is usually

Proficient Wrestler
Skilled Ambusher
Thrower
Novice Swimmer
whatever else in armor usage

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Your starting build?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:21 pm »

Prof Lasher
Prof Wrestler
Prof Swimmer
The rest is in thrower

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:25:16 pm »

half warhammer
half shield

seems to be the only way I can survive my first wolves.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:01:01 pm »

Heh.

Prof. Sword
Skilled Shield
Skilled Armour
and then the rest into wrestler.

Really, its not that hard to survive wolves. Bring on some peons, and then traval. They'll distract two or three of them, and then you can just jump in and cut up some wolves while the doggies are busy trying to bite your 'buddies'.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 02:41:58 am »

Skilled Weapon of Choice
Skilled Shield
Competent Armor User
Wrestler
Swimmer
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:05:17 am »

Skilled Weapon of Choice
Skilled Shield
Competent Armor User
Wrestler
Swimmer

this, only novice swimmer. its all you need to be able to jump into water without drowning, and i train it the rest of the way. wrestling and armor use seem really importan to surviving your first few encounters. that and some redshirts. get legendary throwing or swimming and most people will come with you.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:14:27 pm »

Skilled Weapon of Choice
Skilled Shield
Competent Armor User
Wrestler
Swimmer

this, only novice swimmer. its all you need to be able to jump into water without drowning, and i train it the rest of the way. wrestling and armor use seem really importan to surviving your first few encounters. that and some redshirts. get legendary throwing or swimming and most people will come with you.

I'm a little paranoid with swimming.  When chasing fish in rivers, having only novice swimmer has caused me to hit the "drowning" state merely by being tired. Also, occasionally dodging into the open space above water has left me in the water with the drowning state in spite of having novice swimmer.  So I go for a little more to put my mind at ease, as I believe the swimming level affects your ability to recover from drowning before death sets in.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »

that is an idea, but since swimming is a very easily trainable skill, i tend to take novice and jump into the first empty pool i come across and press left and right for 20 mins or so while watching tv. i tend to create a backup save of an adventurer right after ive trained them so i can go and reload a fresh well trained character if i manage to die in a really stupid way.

novice lets you get into and out of a pool without ramps on the sides without drowning. though falling or being thrown into water, or having to fight fish while a novice swimmer is not a good idea.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:16 pm »

Yea I think anything that stuns you automatically forces you to drowning state.  And once even with a (companionized) legendary swimmer I never stopped drowning afterwards. 

That was in magma though, and while the character himself was immune to the heat it might act diffrently in relation to drowning then water does.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 04:05:52 am »

All into weapon of choice. The rest can be easily trained.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 04:07:30 am »

ooh, imagine trying to give a magma drowning victim cpr. they would probably still be glowing after you fished them out. good luck with mouth to mouth.

also weapon of choice sounds interesting. i still like my novice swimmer though, that way you don't need a beach or specially set up player fortress to start your swimming training.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:33:22 pm »

most of the time i can solo my first wolves with this build

Skilled weapon
skilled shield
skilled armor
wrestler
novice swimmer
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 05:20:38 am »

that is an idea, but since swimming is a very easily trainable skill, i tend to take novice and jump into the first empty pool i come across and press left and right for 20 mins or so while watching tv. i tend to create a backup save of an adventurer right after ive trained them so i can go and reload a fresh well trained character if i manage to die in a really stupid way.

I did that once.
I forgot the area was cold.
Mmm, ice dwarf.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 11:06:02 am »

I usually use:
Proficient Swordsman
Proficent armor user
Competent Wrestler
Novice Swimmer

Speaking of stupid deaths, I have a modded amphibious adventurer race.  Argonians from elder scrolls.  I often use them to retrive stuff from flooded forts.

At any rate I had one swimming around in a flooded fort looking for the good weapons and armor inside.(the water pressure was a bit more powerful than expected for the dining room fountain)  It was in an area that freezes, but it was no big deal, most of the water was underground.

So I'm swimming around, picking up odd peices of gear, fought an olmman that somehow found it's way inside the fortress, when I see one of the items I was after.  A masterwork mithril gauntlet.  It's in the farming zone.   It didn't strike me at the time, but the farm plots had part of the ceiling dug out for outdoor plants.  It was't frozen though.

The moment I picked up the gauntlet the sun started setting.  And I'm suddenly frozen in a block of ice surrounded by liquid water only 2x2 big.  Now that was a stupid death.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

hiS_oWn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 05:46:12 pm »

Any chance I can see your setup for the amphibious race? I might need it for a... particular fort of mine.
Pages: [1] 2