Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Phoenix: Beyond the Stellar Empire  (Read 1955 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phoenix: Beyond the Stellar Empire
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:24 pm »

Just wondering if anyone else here plays this as well. I figure with it's lack of (any) graphics or any sensible interface to play it means that maybe there was some cross over with DF fans.

These two are about the only games that have kept my interest for more than a couple of months.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix: Beyond the Stellar Empire
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:17:24 pm »

You sure have high standards. I have been playing TF2 for over a year now.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Moon

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Nerds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:09:58 pm »

Looks mildly interesting, I just signed up for it.  So after I finish the registration, do I just wait for the first round email?

Anybody know of any other play-by-email games like this?  They seem just right for someone who doesn't have a lot of time for gaming (like me).

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:42:07 pm »

Pope Mark Eaton rises to power, supplanting High Lord Samual as head of the Inner Confederacy. Jordan Roswell, Patriarch of the Brotherhood, in turn murders him.

RIP Pope Mark Eaton. We'll miss you. :(
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:07:03 am »

So after I finish the registration, do I just wait for the first round email?

Yup, game runs monday to friday, one update per day. For most positions limit in actions is 300tus and you get 60 new ones a day so you can quite happily run everything at 100% for just a turn a week.

I'd recommend signing up to the forums for it and contacting whichever affiliation out get put in, they will be helpful :)
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:01:33 am »

Do we have a web site, a genre or any information about this PBEM?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:29:19 am »

Do we have a web site, a genre or any information about this PBEM?

I mostly just wanted to see if anyone here was playing it :) didn't think to leave details.

There is an official website but some of the information about how to do things is out of date.
There is a more useful official forum but I'm not sure you can read it without registering. (in fact I'm fairly sure you can't)

It's a sci-fi pbem, originally it was a pbm but I'm pretty sure they've turned that option off completely now. It's defiantly a long term game, I know some of the players have been playing for 15 years or so.

The game is human moderated although a lot of the simpler actions are automated at this stage, the gm that runs it (Mica) is fairly good about accommodating what players want to try and do. I don't know how many players there are but I'd have said somewhere between 50 and 200.

Players are broken down into affiliations which tend to follow certain guidelines based on who they are. Most of these are human but being a sci-fi there are a few alien affiliations as well. There is a fairly inaccurate guide to the affiliations although it's a little old now as there are some new affiliations too.

There is also a couple of GM run plotlines going through the game that may or may not involve you depending who you know and where you can go.

Its 'free' to play for the most part. Ships, ground parties, operatives and agents are completely* free. However starbases, policitals, outposts and platforms cost per update (starbases and politicals update per week, but the other two can be effectively free to run).

If there are any questions I'm happy to help new players. Most of the vocal players will help you as well, the quiet ones I'm never even sure are there.

*Technically there are two orders, surface exploration and special action, which are not free but allow the player to just type a plain text 'what I want to do' message to the GM and they will tell you what happens.