Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Strange artifacts!  (Read 4923 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Strange artifacts!
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 09:16:08 pm »

What workshops do? I couldn't think of any.
I think it's either the ashery or the dyer's workshop, maybe both.  I know one of those also uses a bucket.  There may be another, but I can't think of it right now.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 09:18:32 pm »

What workshops do? I couldn't think of any.

try dyer's shops. (or whichever one is for dying cloth)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 02:53:40 am »

Both ashery and dyer shops use a bucket. I'm not aware of any other that does.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 07:21:37 am »

I had an Olivine sceptre with an image of itself engraved on it. I'm not even sure how that works... fractal engraving?

I have one like that too:

It's even the right material! (This was the first artifact ade in my current fort)
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 09:13:04 am »

I had an Olivine sceptre with an image of itself engraved on it. I'm not even sure how that works... fractal engraving?

I have one like that too:

It's even the right material! (This was the first artifact ade in my current fort)
The image is in iron because that was the only material used in its construction.

On the subject of buckets, wells use them as well.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 01:58:22 am »

Well, today I got a artifact door, I know it's going into my dining room, but even without engraving, or smoothing, it was already legendary :D. I already smoothed it though, and maybe going to engrave it, but my door is going to go nicely, should prevent tantrums for a while :D.

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 04:10:24 am »

Yesterday my Mayor made an Orpiment crown....not so unsual,you say?
It's called "Bentlaw".Oh,the irony...

Among other things i had a platinum axe with a picture of itself on it....and then a sword with a picture of the axe on it....kinda makes you wonder how small can they engrave them?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 03:13:15 pm »

i don't know, but i saw a theory somewhere that self-refrential engravings are diagrams of how they made it. can't remember were it was, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Wizardmon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 05:27:59 pm »

Interesting that it was my clothier who made this.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:21 pm »

Not Strange exactly. But i had a Cabinet that was made of charcoal.
and it had a very fine image of Dwarves TAUNTING elves in soap.

(oh dear, it makes it sound like the elves are encased in soap).

It's a shame that it wasn't an image of elves in charcoal, because then it would be like elves encased in carbon(ite)
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:46 pm »

Not Strange exactly. But i had a Cabinet that was made of charcoal.
and it had a very fine image of Dwarves TAUNTING elves in soap.

(oh dear, it makes it sound like the elves are encased in soap).

It's a shame that it wasn't an image of elves in charcoal, because then it would be like elves encased in carbon(ite)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
{/darthvader]

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 09:33:37 am »

the chrysopraise is just a large gem. all artifacts get one decoration in the base material, so it gets one decoration in chrysopraise. ive gotten 2 gem artifacts so far in my current fort, a perfect saphire and a saphire ring. the ring was called "the rage of killers" and it menaces with spikes of saphire. ive hidden it away in an iron bin in my kings tomb so i can come back and get it as an adventurer and punch people in the face while wearing it. talented gemcutters will sometimes make large gems or gem crafts as a byproduct, which can give you neat things like solid black diamond cups.

as for artifacts, i have a lay pewter shoe which has a picture of a goblin being killed by a sasquatch. just one lay pewter shoe, ive forgotten which workshop it came from.

my first artifact  in my current fort was a steel anvil with bands of steel. otherwise unremarkable, its name however is is great, " whirledbrides the valley of haunting". one of the few times ive gotten a nice name for an artifact.

there is also a turtle shell toy axe called "fearbeatles". it has lots of spikes and a picture of the dwarf who made it coming to live in my fort. i like to imagine a small dwarf child running around mashing large roaches with this.

my most recent artifact had me stopping a miner from making an artifact weapon rack out of bituminous coal using forbid. the silly little guy claimed a workshop right in my raw adamantium stockpile room, so i got him using that instead. it ended up with the name "the ominous joy". now if only i could put my adamantium artifact axe in it.

finally, i have a tonne of other interesting artifacts with extremely funny names, but the crown of all of them was in my second ever fort when i got an aluminium spear. not that awesome, but a few years later i got a cave spider silk thong. with an image of the aluminium spear on it. in raw aluminium. that was incredible.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 02:42:06 pm »

I have an iron grate named Stranglesqueezes.

Dawrf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 04:53:55 pm »

On the item is an image of squares in Chestnut  :-\

I like to think that The Speechlessness of Authoring is kind of a response

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »

In Lanternwebs, I had a giant cave silk spider turban, decorated with cotton (modded in), encircled with bands of cave spider silk and iron, and adorned with hanging rings of cave lobster shell named "Ringpuzzled the Sorcerers of Styling". In my mind, it looks both strange and awesome.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5