Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Strange artifacts!  (Read 4915 times)

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange artifacts!
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »

In my latest fort I have a bituminous coal Statue, I'm considering putting it on fire and placing it outside my fort as a statue of liberty type thing.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »

Regarding artifacts with images of themselves on them, I tend to think of the Morton Salt Girl.  The cylindrical container of Morton Salt has a picture of a girl with an umbrella on it, holding what is clearly intended to be a container identical to that on which the girl is drawn.  However, her arm is conveniently covering the portion of the container that would itself have a picture of the girl, umbrella, and container drawn on it.  So it is implied recursion, without having to deal with physically impossible explicit recursion.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 10:26:18 pm »

In my latest fort I have a bituminous coal Statue, I'm considering putting it on fire and placing it outside my fort as a statue of liberty type thing.

Be careful. It will attract hippies.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 12:28:15 am »

the most memorable artifact that I ever had was a bed made of sapphire.

the idea of a gemstone bed just struck me as a provocatively extravagant artifact rather than the ones that just felt random.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 01:02:54 am »

Not too long ago, I had a dwarven weaver get a strange mood.
She made a giant cave spider silk thong, in blue-dyed GCS silk.
Even better?  It had an image of the leader of our dwarven civilization sewn onto it.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2009, 02:04:35 am »

Lootflicker, a Platinum crude spear.

(Crude spears are CAN_STONE spears with half the base damage of normal spears. Which kind of makes Lootflicker suck, but this was the first weapon artifact to come up since I modded them in, so it struck me as amusing. I have an entire set of crude weapons, and they serve absolutely no purpose aside from being CAN_STONE.

Also, Lootflicker. Schweet.

I'm going to go set it up as an upright spike in some noble's room just to make it rock. The thing's worth over 100k dwarfbucks.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2009, 10:46:43 am »

Warning!!! What follows in really poor taste.  ;D Don't blame me if you read it and are offended.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2009, 07:33:00 pm »

Warning!!! What follows in really poor taste.  ;D Don't blame me if you read it and are offended.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...Sunnysense the Trussed Virgin...

Hmmm...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:44:29 pm by Tradanbattlan »

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2009, 09:00:44 pm »

i just got a turtle shell chain.

its called "uvash lashanguish" and it menaces with spikes of ruby.

it also has some images of historical dwarves and large roaches, which would be interesting to fit onto a chain.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2009, 09:12:05 pm »

i just got a turtle shell chain.

its called "uvash lashanguish" and it menaces with spikes of ruby.

it also has some images of historical dwarves and large roaches, which would be interesting to fit onto a chain.
I got one like that too.  Weird.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2009, 09:33:29 pm »

I just got a statue named Bridlehymed the Prestigious Hegemon

It had no engravings, so I dont know what the is supposed to represent.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2009, 09:47:07 pm »

Statues are abstracted at the moment.  They don't depict anyone or anything - they are just large chunks of stone worked in some mysterious way.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 10:05:15 am »

On my map there's a near-constant slaughter of zombie horses and muskox.

A mason got a mood and made "Ursas Unnos, The Decay of Hooves" a Jet coffin. :D Unfortunately no pictures of zombie horses. just dwarves, hanging rings, and platinum spikes.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2009, 12:48:12 pm »

I had a stockpile of platinum in preparation for a legendary mason to build some epic statues, but a farmer went nuts and built a platinum grate out of it instead  ???

I'm tempted to pump lava under the king's throne room and have the grate attached to a lever so that liasons and diplomats can be "purged" if needed. Hey, at least they'll feel better knowing they'll get a nice close look at a platinum artifact grate before they get dumped into the lava.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »

"Winepassions the Tattooed Crevice," an Oaken blowgun. It is decorated with various forms of wood and is worth a whopping total of 3200 dwarfbucks.
Its not much, but I didn't even know blowguns existed before this. I turned it into a weapon trap for the sole purpose of confusing invaders, but apparently blowguns don't fire arrows or bolts. Harrumph.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5