Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iron Pyrite  (Read 3638 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Pyrite
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 11:45:03 am »

You would be surprised how you can make almost anything beautiful with the right techniques.

My only issue with an Aestetic modifier is it should be a subjective matter. (well part Subjective... If everyone thinks Onyx is their favorite... then of course people are going to charge more)

I mean... Aluminum looks pretty much like Iron or Steel and yet was used as expensive jewelry

I was just trying to say that you should not be surprised to not find material imitations in game when there is no aesthetic value of object or when it is substituted by material value.

Of course you can make something beautiful out of almost nothing and something disgusting out of gold and platinum. However dwarf (or kobold or whoever in this game) will like more adamantine poop than statue of David from microline simply because he has no aesthetics feeling.

If aesthetics gets implemented, then yes - I too would love to see imitations of materials, paste jewellery, etc.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 01:42:04 pm »

Also interesting would be oxidation of exposed pyrite, leading to acid mine drainage. This apparently happens naturally whenever pyrite is exposed to oxygen. Could be a nice hazard for dwarfs...
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 03:11:38 pm »

Cheap aesthetics and false valuables... what if the likes and dislikes of dwarves were more generalized? As in a Dwarf that likes platinum is also pleased by the appearance of silver and aluminum.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 05:19:12 pm »

Well, one reason it was called "fools gold" is that the poor medieval peasant dirt-farmer who might find some in his field probably wouldn't have known the difference, having never seen real gold-except possibly from a distance-in his entire miserable, scabrous, hell-like (but fortunately, short) existence.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 09:33:14 pm »

Well... peasants were generally considered stupid by the Nobility.

Mind you... I don't mean stupid as in "Slow" I mean stupid as in "Can't make their own decisions".

Thanks for that Info Honey Badger (oddly I always picture a bear). That is very interesting.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 10:30:24 pm »

Thanks for that Info Honey Badger (oddly I always picture a bear). That is very interesting.

You're welcome.

Oddly, I resemble a bear.
For they would be your masters.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 11:16:48 pm »

You're welcome.

Yeah, about those little bits of salmon clinging to your face...
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 11:25:26 pm »

You're welcome.

Isn't it WAY out of season for Bears to have access to Salmon?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 12:07:53 am »

You're welcome.

Isn't it WAY out of season for Bears to have access to Salmon?
Rank hath its privileges. Sir Honey Badger is obviously a knight that is secretly a bear.

Pyrite is also easy to mistake for gold if you're panning, since it occurs in small granules in a lot of the same alluvial deposits you can get nuggets from. Oddly enough, a lot of famous pyrite and marcasite deposits have a significant amount of gold in them. I believe there was a success story involving a bad land claim made during the gold rush that turned out to be a profitable source of gold much later on.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 [2]