Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Iron Pyrite  (Read 3643 times)

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron Pyrite
« on: February 27, 2009, 12:01:15 am »

I just realized, I've never come across fool's gold in DF. Or it's just named as something I don't recognize. Either way, collecting fools gold for cheap decorations and inexpensive aesthetics would be a neat feature. It wouldn't be as valuable as being decorated with real gold, but it would stimulate the same happy thoughts from people who like seeing gold. Perhaps you could swindle merchants and try to pass it off as real gold.

"Fools gold" "Iron pyrite" both return no suggestion results, so I guess it hasn't been suggested yet. I just jinxed that. ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Pyrite
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:04:15 am »

I don't think Fools Gold has any worth even as decoration because it falls appart... but let me look.

Anyhow apperantly it is just called Pyrite... so let me check if that is in the game

Yes it is included in the game as a Gem!

So your suggestion is to allow different Varieties of Pyrite.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:12:03 am by Neonivek »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:28:57 am »

Perhaps you could swindle merchants and try to pass it off as real gold.

And elves, in turn, could swindle you with faerie gold.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:12:48 am »

Well there is a reason why it is called "Fools gold"

Your only going to be fooling... well... fools.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:23:57 am »

Could probably be modded in, but it would make my day if it didn't specify gold or pyrite (as iron ore) when you found it, and you had to look and the rock again to check.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:26:24 am »

You would have to have pretty low observation skills Granite not to tell the difference between Pyrite and gold.

For one Pyrite has a crystaline structure and gold... well... doesn't. Pyrite is also many times lighter then Gold.

It should only not show if your dealing with people (such as an adventurer) who have no experience in minerals.

Which I entirely support! Mind you, that there are a lot more convincing confusions in the metal family then Gold and Fools gold.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:30:06 am by Neonivek »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:31:53 am »

I think that's exactly what you said in the original thread too...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:33:25 am »

I think that's exactly what you said in the original thread too...

I don't particularly remember

One thing I find interesting is that Gold is used in foods (that you eat). Getting Pyrite instead of gold would probably do something... I just don't know what (people generally don't eat pyrite)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:34:08 am »

Well marcasite is ijn the game which is like Pyrite a polymorph of FeS2.

Since Marcasite is also called "white iron pyrite" toady might in his research have thought that both are the same.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:21 am »

Dwarves like expensive stuff. Bringing fool's gold or cheap fake materials for decorations would mean to implement not only material value (that we have now) but also aesthetic value. Otherwise this has no practical use. Objects decorated with cheap materials without aesthetic value implementation will be not as good as those with rare and ugly materials.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 09:46:33 am »

You would be surprised how you can make almost anything beautiful with the right techniques.

My only issue with an Aestetic modifier is it should be a subjective matter. (well part Subjective... If everyone thinks Onyx is their favorite... then of course people are going to charge more)

I mean... Aluminum looks pretty much like Iron or Steel and yet was used as expensive jewelry

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:54:46 am »

Also Pyrit can be used to make sulfur(-acid) and iron. Apart from that it is harder then Gold and indeed very shiny. Single cubes can be very nice in jewelery ^^ and radial grown crystals were used as amultes.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:43 am »

Oh, and Dwarves aren't the only creatures in the game (nor is their 'appreciates expensive and rare things' set to High)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 10:11:09 am »

You would be surprised how you can make almost anything beautiful with the right techniques.

You mean, like, the quality modifier? :P
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:20:10 am »

You mean, like, the quality modifier? :P

Sorta... I mostly meant a Aestetic modifier is moot when an expert craftsmen can make anything beautiful.
Pages: [1] 2