Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small sugestion: "Seizing" prisoners.  (Read 913 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Small sugestion: "Seizing" prisoners.
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:25 pm »

I was just designing my new "rancor pit" with a ferocious giant olm in it, and i noticed how awesome it'd be if i could just litterally throw the goblins down the pit, instead of actually having to make a tunnel to the base level of the pit, building the cage down there, linking a lever to the goblin cage, locking the door, releasing the goblin, and then finally release the beasts on his sorry filthy ass.

What i'm sugesting is a "seizing" option for the fortress guard/military. You could tell them to seize a prisoner from his cell, and then directly tell them to do something with that prisoner, like bringing him to the edge of a chasm, and then giving and order to push him to his bottomless doom :D .
Course, said prisoner could try to excape, and maybe you cound designate the guards to either "kill if escapes" or just "seize prisoner again if excapes". This owuld add a new use for chains and ropes, as "handcuffing" the prisoner would make it harder to excape.

Not only would it make the fortress guard more useful (and fun to use), it would make things slightly more realistic. I dunno if it has been sugested, but hell, its just one of those minor sugestions that "would be cool to have in ze gaem, olol!".
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small sugestion: "Seizing" prisoners.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »

You know about pit zones, right?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:24:38 pm »

But i can't throw the goblin only in it, i have to throw the whole cage, and beasts won't attack or eat anything caged, plus, they have to be "contructed" to be linked to a lever, so i can't put a linked one over grates or bars that disappear, or a retractable bridge, plus, just throwing them down there sparta style is at least 3x cooler and more dwarfy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:34:07 pm by Dakk »
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:17 pm »

IIRC you can pit goblins/wild animals if you put the cage right next to the pit edge.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:32:02 pm »

You could also just create a bridge trap, that has three bridges linked, the lever sets one up that blocks the exit, the second shoots up, firing any goblins into the first one, and blocking the entrance, the third one is a retracting bridge that opens up into the pit, there'll be a horde of injured stunned gobbos in there now...

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:45:11 pm »

But i can't throw the goblin only in it, i have to throw the whole cage, and beasts won't attack or eat anything caged, plus, they have to be "contructed" to be linked to a lever, so i can't put a linked one over grates or bars that disappear, or a retractable bridge, plus, just throwing them down there sparta style is at least 3x cooler and more dwarfy.
No not dump zones, pit zones. Make a zone, set it to pit/pond, hit P to configure it, assign your goblins to it the same as a built cage. Dwarves will come grab them and throw them into the pit just like you're requesting.
Thieves will escape and cause trouble when you try to do this, goblins from ambushes or sieges will not.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:00:18 pm »

:o i didn't know that, though i did wonder what pit/pond designation was for, anyway, olol.
Thanks peeps, anyways, sugestion's up, just hoping next versions will make the fortress guard more useful.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 06:27:41 am »

One question about this, i tried it with resus macaques and they all escaped how come? :/
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 06:46:29 am »

They probably have some sort of thief tag. Build the cages next to the pit

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 07:34:16 am »

yeah they do! (well they steal goblin clothes spread outside all the time) thx ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.