Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: PS3 Games  (Read 3266 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
PS3 Games
« on: February 26, 2009, 03:51:29 pm »

I've been debating getting a PS3, partially due to the blue-ray disk aspect and partially due to playing the demo for Valkyria chronicles on my friend's system.

However, that's the only game I know of that I'm really interested in getting. I've started looking through review sites, but I figured this was a good place to get some tips.

Games with the playstyle I enjoyed: Final Fantasy Tactics, Dynasty Tactics, Brigandine, Civilization, the Total War series, Dwarf Fortress (obviously), Sim City, X-com, Darklands, Fallout

I'm considering Fallout 3, although it's not enough like Fallout for me to be overly excited by it. I know there is a Civ game for the PS3, but from what I've read it's stripped down compared to the PC version (which I have).

Got any good suggestions for me? I'm not much of a Console gamer, to be honest, so most of the super popular games don't appeal to me that much.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Games
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:58:27 pm »

Sounds like PS2 is the right option for ya, or one of the older PS3's with the honest to God PS2 built in.

There are/were a LOT of PS2 tactics games...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:15 pm »

Well, yeah, I have a PS2 already. I was just trying to see how much use there is in getting a PS3 right now. Granted, by GF might have some games on the system she'll enjoy, but I kind of what to see what'll be in it for me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:04:22 pm »

I've been debating getting a PS3, partially due to the blue-ray disk aspect and partially due to playing the demo for Valkyria chronicles on my friend's system.

However, that's the only game I know of that I'm really interested in getting. I've started looking through review sites, but I figured this was a good place to get some tips.

Games with the playstyle I enjoyed: Final Fantasy Tactics, Dynasty Tactics, Brigandine, Civilization, the Total War series, Dwarf Fortress (obviously), Sim City, X-com, Darklands, Fallout

I'm considering Fallout 3, although it's not enough like Fallout for me to be overly excited by it. I know there is a Civ game for the PS3, but from what I've read it's stripped down compared to the PC version (which I have).

Got any good suggestions for me? I'm not much of a Console gamer, to be honest, so most of the super popular games don't appeal to me that much.

Get Disgaea 3  and Valkyria Chronicles if you're into the tactical RPGs like FF Tactics. Valkyria especially, it's the underrated game of 08 to be sure. Metal Gear Solid 4 can be fun, and the online aspect especially might be up your alley. Strategy isn't the strong point of the system so for (or any console for that matter)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:07:58 pm »

How does Disgaea 3 compare to the original? I played about 40 odd hours of the original, realized I was about a 3rd into the game with nothing new to do, and gave up on it.
Come play Mafia with us!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:17:36 pm »

yeah, I liked the concept of Disgaea a lot, but the tacts didn't really develop into anything

I want to get a PS3 for the blue ray, but I haven't been able to justify it (I have a 360, and I like it a lot) as there are very few exclusives. 

So yeah, can't help you

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:27:20 pm »

If you want a bluray player, buy the PS3. The latest updates also make it work as a media station in your network, so you can also play xvid, mp3s, etc etc.

As for games... I have no idea.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 05:37:17 am »

Sony and the PS3 are in trouble.  Could be their Game Cube.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:12 am »

Hopefully not their Dreamcast.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:49:56 am »

Sony and the PS3 are in trouble.  Could be their Game Cube.

Well the PS3 isn't bad like the Gamecube was.

The PS3 I guess was simply too soon as no one wants to develop for it and use it to its full capability. Well that and a few other mistakes and instances.

For example Microsoft's buisness plan seemed to be very focused on simply beating the Sony. While Sony concentrated a bit too much on making a good product at first (huge mistake) then attacked the other companies (bad move).

I am just glad the PS3 rumors are done with...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 09:07:08 am »

Why not just get a Blu Ray drive for your PC? Seeing how you like strategy games, any console is a bad investment for you.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:16:05 am »

Exactly. We sure as hell have big enough hard drives. We sure as hell have good enough hardware.

Why not just make Blu-Ray the new disk media? Imagine this. Games could be far bigger. Models can be far more numerous. No need for memory conserving tactics. No need for lossy compression. Not to mention the Blu-Ray is backwards compatible.

With time, game devs will grow out of the DVD and start going Blu-Ray.

As for home movies on the Blu-Ray... I see no point... You're not going to notice the higher quality unless you're sitting really close. Not to mention the resolution on most TVs is not even high enough to support Blu-Ray quality.

The quality difference is totally impossible to see. I'd imagine it only becomes apparent when you have a HUGE TV.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 09:58:45 am »

I wouldn't sell myself entirely on Blue-ray JUST yet

The HD-DVD people are trying to defeat the Blue-ray by developing ANOTHER disk in their final attempt to take it down.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 10:13:35 am »

seriously?

Good grief...

The big mistake was not having it standard on the 360...

Do you have friends?
.|
+--- No ---> Get a PS3.
.|
Yes
.|
Real or Internet friends?
.|
+---- Real ---> Get a Wii
.|
Internet
.|
Get the Xbox 360.

source

Which reminds me... XNA dude... XNA... we've already got forum-goers releasing 360 games

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:52:01 am »

You know, I never played online with the Xbox360 but I am signed up for online.

People have been giving me bad ratings and I don't even know them.

Then again maybe it is because the game I have the most achievements in is Viva Pinata.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4