Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod related questions.  (Read 582 times)

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod related questions.
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:29:32 pm »

I am working on a mod to add a playable race, and was wondering how to change what is available to the race upon embark.  Especially with regards to seeds, metal, animals.

So far the race seems to work fine, but I'd like to polish this for more character before release, and want the new races to have different play feels in Fortress mode.

thanks,
Monkeyvich

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Mod related questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:36:12 pm »

I don't know if there's a way to specify exactly what a race is guaranteed to have, as it's "inventory" (for lack of a better word) is based on what the sites it controls have available, as opposed to the spontaneous creation of items/materials that you're looking for.

About the only suggestion I can offer, is use the tag that gives dwarfs access to steel.. but that's a bit of a hack.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:56:37 pm »

I think Entity tokens are what you are looking for. You can divide animals and plants with the [EVIL] and [GOOD] tokens, and use entity tags to allow different civs to use them. Plants are also separated into indoor and outdoor plants.

Unfortunately, metals are defined very narrowly.
  • [METAL_PREF]: Civs (Dwarves) use the sharpest non-deep metal available.
  • [MINOR_METAL]: Civs (Kobolds) use the weakest metal available.
  • No tag: Civs (Humans) use average metals, like iron.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:49:42 pm »

What do GEM_PREF and STONE_PREF do?    i have learned what WOOD_PREF does experimentally.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:05:33 am »

To the best of my knowledge, they only do what the wiki says they do; Allow entity members to have a preference for one or more items of that type. They do not allow gem or stone weapons unfortunately.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:25:38 am »

From what I have heard from various other people, the [METAL_PREF] and other _PREF] tags allow civs to access those materials at their sites, allowing them to be requested from liaisons when that civ comes to trade. So you will be able to request specific types of gems if the trading civ has [GEM_PREF], and specific stone types if they have [STONE_PREF]. [METAL_PREF] and [WOOD_PREF] have the other effects upon weapons and armor as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:57:32 pm »

From what I have heard from various other people, the [METAL_PREF] and other _PREF] tags allow civs to access those materials at their sites, allowing them to be requested from liaisons when that civ comes to trade. So you will be able to request specific types of gems if the trading civ has [GEM_PREF], and specific stone types if they have [STONE_PREF]. [METAL_PREF] and [WOOD_PREF] have the other effects upon weapons and armor as well.

I'm not so sure about that. If that is true, then why can you already request metal and wood from humans when they have neither of those tokens?