Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Tower Caps do exist! And other Shroom things.  (Read 9473 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Caps do exist! And other Shroom things.
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2009, 05:10:08 pm »

Earth will be cooked in around 3 Billions as log we dont do something about this - and  i speak of danger by the sun not global warming.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:42:52 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2009, 05:43:29 pm »

The sun will last 10 billion years

well, you bolster that with another tinier sun! - Jupiter.
You might squeek 11 billion years or so. However I doubt we will be a similiar form in 10 billion years.

Humans have stopped evolving.  We'll look the same.
This is 10 billion years
Chances are the human race won't even be a memory by then.

EDIT:
And even if we are still around we'll have embraced genetic manipulation. We might oppose it at first, but deep down we're still curious monkeys who understand that having glowing skin and 4 arms is cool.
But we also have a large tendency to dislike change.  It's in our genes, an instinct.  Change causes trouble in nature.  We therefore oppose a great deal of it.

We have highly advanced prosthetic technology at this point.  That doesn't mean that people are going to start having 3 or 4 arms.  In fact, it probably won't be allowed, given the physical alterations required for 4 arms to work.  Anyway, we've bounced back from every major disaster we've come across in the time since the earliest human arrived.  We, like the crocodile or the horseshoe crab, have reached a point at which we no longer need to evolve.  We are smarter than crocodiles.  We can leave earth if necessary, albeit a difficult and long moving process.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2009, 06:29:48 pm »

I dislike change so much that I'm using the same kind of computer my great-grandfather used when *he* was posting on internet forums.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2009, 07:02:00 pm »

Okay lets just say that no... with the time span we are talking about here all of recorded history could be lost society could burn itself to the ground a few dozens of times and nothing of great importance would be lost. Look at all of the myriad and diverse cultural values held throughout history and then tell me we would 'never' see deliberate human alteration both cybernetic and biological.

Asian foot binding, South American skull shaping, Aryian breeding programs, African fat-camps, liposuction, breast augmentation, Hair dye, corsets, animism/furries, transgender operations... all examples of attempts to significantly change the human body.

Sure there is a variable mean of 'normal human self image' but the variation only needs to pop up hear and there, before long you could see subcultures of 'modded' popping up here and there. If aliens, dragons and elves don't exist yet we will see fit to make them ourselves.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2009, 07:20:20 pm »

Asian foot binding, South American skull shaping, Aryian breeding programs, African fat-camps, liposuction, breast augmentation, Hair dye, corsets, animism/furries, transgender operations... all examples of attempts to significantly change the human body.
They all still look like humans though, don't they?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2009, 07:28:43 pm »

We should not asume that ethics cant change.

The presure on Parents is today already high and almost only religious groupings still suggest no prevention of disablillitys. We also already do enchancement of our human bodys by taking drugs like ritalin (many students use it appereantly for better work) anabolics, streoids, or just plain coffee.

I think that Genetical and technical alterration will be highly common in the future under the not religous part of the society. We just need a way to provide this to the entire community equaly and treating altered and unaltered persons equaly.

I think that might get a revival as soon we understand our genetic code better and the sience makes there everyday some nices leaps forward. The question is if and how the human right have to be changed.

I wouldnt mind that much if my children grow up among naturally pink haired asiatic chicks with additional pheromon glands, a coopertainted, purpleeyed boy with Perfect hearing vision and sence of smell and 1.80 meter humanoid wolf.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2009, 07:39:46 pm »

I can see the law enforcement having problems with genetic alterations.  Humanoid wolves?  Bad, bad idea.  Very bad.  He loses his temper, he could kill far more easily than he could if he was unaltered.  And do not take medicine into this.  It works an entirely different way; among them the fact that it wears off.

Oh, sure, it sounds like a great idea.  But when you really get deep into it, you find that the chance of two people capable of breeding meeting each other is next to nil because everyone would have such wide variations. 

It's also somewhat impractical time-wise.  Your genes are not constantly holding you in the shape you are; if you get a change that makes your knees bend backwards, the process will not be instantaneous, and may even require surgery.  Even then, it would take ages for the new knee structure to properly develop, meaning frequent surgery.  You would wind up spending several years unable to do much at all just to get your knees bending the other way.  Your body shape is determined during pre-birth, not after birth.
Just so I remember

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2009, 07:49:05 pm »

^^ oh i didnt mean that. I thought on alteration of the ebryoinic genom (baby-design etc.) and apart from that also on artificial wombs.

On the sugery side i can see iPS (induced pluripotent stemmcells) being genetical altered. With this IPS you grow a organ which then can be savely transplanted to the human. And not only organs entire legs and bonestructures would work too.

Also wolves are rather peacefull and we have enought 100% humans that loose thyer temper often enought sometimes with fatal effects.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:52:43 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 07:55:52 pm »

Yes, but the wolf man is more likely to kill the person he is attacking.  Embryonic alterations still require an embryo, and to make that you need two creatures capable of breeding similar to what you want to make.  Which would be hard to get.  We would die off from inability to breed.

Besides, if it's embryonic alteration, is it the child that decides?  No, it is the parent.  They can't say what the children want; the child isn't even alive yet, so even it doesn't know what it wants.  You could give it four arms, make it part wolf, but then the child might be extremely annoyed with fleas and shedding and hate his parents for doing that to him.
Just so I remember

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:26 pm »

Children already hate theyr parents for so many causes that this wouldnt be so much a issue i think. Especally in a society where almost everyone is changed i think it might be more a issue that the children might think that the parents didn choose wise.

Also as long you know what alterarions were made on you you can get a humans cell and alter the code of it so it complements yours. We even already have the tech to build genoms althought at this times only for bacterias and viruses, so even building a by a computer calculated genom that can interbreed with you is possible.

You could even do the ultimate inbreed by using your own DNa for creating sperm/ a eggcell but this would be to wierd in every negativ means of the word.

That a woman isnt needed for breeding will one of the benefits of the future and also leads to a emanzipation of the man from the woman and a more equal rank for both genders in society (f.e. a woman doesnt need to stop working while beeing pregnant which is still a main cause why woman often are treated worse the man)

Yes, but the wolf man is more likely to kill the person he is attacking.

I wont discuss behavior because behavior is partly also coded in genes but to the biggest part manipulated by society, education and how parents a parent raises theyr/its children.

hmmm a bit back to topic: Fungus-people!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:20:00 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:05 pm »

Eh, it doesn't really work like that.  Embryos cannot be manufactured.  They are made by a man and a woman.  For that to happen, the two have to be capable of breeding.  If DNA is too different, then the embryo dies almost the moment it is made.  That's way half-cat half-dogs don't exist.
Just so I remember

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2009, 08:27:52 pm »

Eh, it doesn't really work like that.  Embryos cannot be manufactured.  They are made by a man and a woman.  For that to happen, the two have to be capable of breeding.  If DNA is too different, then the embryo dies almost the moment it is made.  That's way half-cat half-dogs don't exist.
It is, but we haven't found the method/ technology.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2009, 08:32:20 pm »

I can still breed a wiener dog with a German-shephard ;) as long you have enought in common with the other part it works. BY the way you might want to look up the Geep and the Sheep-goat-hybrid on wikipedia.

I wonder how this all will work out in df if the Magicans begin to "create" minions.

Proud to be a Furry.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2009, 08:35:58 pm »

I can still breed a wiener dog with a German-shephard ;) as long you have enought in common with the other part it works. BY the way you might want to look up the Geep and the Sheep-goat-hybrid on wikipedia.

I wonder how this all will work out in df if the Magicans begin to "create" minions.
Sheep and goats are very similar.  Those sound like what mules and jack asses are to donkeys and horses; infertile hybrids.  Wiener dogs and German Shepards have enough genetic similarities to make them the same species.  A wolf person would have too many genetic differences from a person; it would be a different species, see?
Just so I remember

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:17 pm »

Sheep and goat arent even the same genus. Heck the sheep has 54 Chromosoms and the goat 60. Normaly such pairings with different chromosomnumbers are impossible.

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9