Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Tower Caps do exist! And other Shroom things.  (Read 9475 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Caps do exist! And other Shroom things.
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:22 pm »

actually, jupiter is 1/16th the size of the sun, if little bear does not deceive.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 11:37:59 pm »

^^^ in diameter maybe

Reading the exchanges between Footkerchief and LegoLord above reminded me of the two drunken technicians at the beginning.

There are worse things to be compared to, I suppose.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 12:02:28 am »

For I have Tasted the Fungus!
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:50 am »

density and size aren't interchangeable, for example you can have something the size of a pea weigh hundred of thousand of tons (because its really dense) and you can have something the size of a house that weighs a fraction of that (like a house sized chunk of ice)
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 03:16:07 am »

A house-sized chunk of ice is about 500 tonnes (assuming a 200m^2 home with 2.5m ceilings).  Just in case you were wondering.

Wikipedia indicates the inner core is about 5,700 K at the moment, cooling by 100 degrees per billion years.  If the core were just cooling linearly for the rest of history, that allows it 57 billion years to live -- far longer than the Sun has left going for it.  Of course the core would start to cool faster as fissile materials stop fissing and the big fusion reactor outside fuses all its fuel (reducing the temperature at the surface, allowing more heat to radiate out).  But also convection would also stop, reducing the transfer of heat out.  So there you go.

What were we talking about?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 05:38:26 am »

Actually, once the hydrogen-carbon cycle stops working in the sun's core, it'll collapse until it can start burning helium, which will make it a lot *hotter*. (The total radius of the sun will increase; the core, not so much)

This is not necessarily a good thing, seeing as it means it will burn that helium a lot faster.. right now the core is at 5700K, which is just about an understandable temperature, and it burns really slowly. Human fusion reactors have to work with several thousand to a million times hotter plasma, so don't be surprised it's been hard to make them work. :P

Hm. Oh, yeah. My point.

..though I'm not entirely sure how I got here from there... anyhow, long-term, we'll probably dismantle the sun. Right now it'd stop working while still having burnt less than a percent of its hydrogen, and also there's the whole "radiating most of it into space" thing. This might be really long-term, but I'm sure we'll do it.

Which, of course, is actually a good reason to think there are no aliens anywhere nearby.

Planets can be hard to see, but this sort of thing? Not so much.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 03:29:20 pm »

Or this means that any aliens nearby are either paranoid (don't want to reveal their position with such obvious solar machinery), finished their projects (if they made a real tight and efficient system it shouldn't radiat much at all to see it by), or are insufficiently advanced (also not a good sign as it ends up working into the Fermi Equation with only a few of all possible civs making it past the all-to-critical phase of interplanetary travel.)
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 04:28:58 pm »

For I have Tasted the Fungus!

Yeah, Alpha Centauri was fun. Nothing like a planet-sized semi-sentient fungal mass with the power of a god and the mind of a 2 year old.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 06:02:26 pm »

Argh, all these terrible puns that don't even work.
1) Fungi isn't pronounced "fun guy"
Learn your classifications, folks.

...You'd make a better teacher if you told us how it IS pronounced... Seriously, I thought it was "fun guy" too, and now I don't know what the correct pronunciation is...

Fungus is like "Fun Gus", the G being a hard sound like saying "Fun Gas!"
Fungi is like "Fun Jie", the G being a soft sound like saying "Fun Jive!"

Thank you! Now I know! (and apparently already knew the singular correctly)
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 06:27:26 pm »

siphon hydrogen from a gas giant?  [. . .]  A star is just a fusion reactor, it uses fuel like anything else.
Hydrogen is the primary fuel component in fusion reactors.  And on a gas giant, it probably wouldn't be pure hydrogen form, but that would probably be good enough for a star so hot simple particles can't hold together.  The other thing about the sun is that it can use some other gases slightly larger than hydrogen; that's how we get all the large elements like gold, iron, and lead.

Anything heavier than iron is actually supernova remnants, since normal stellar fusion doesn't go past iron.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 06:28:41 pm »

the sun (which will radiate 99.99999% of the energy into space)

Let's build a buuthandi!! :D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:31 pm »

the sun (which will radiate 99.99999% of the energy into space)

Let's build a buuthandi!! :D
I have no idea what that is, but it would be awesome if we could build some sort of lead shell around the sun that orbited in a way so that sunlight and radiation would only reach earth.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 08:21:27 pm »

The cheaper, easier, more likely alternative to sun siphoning is the Dyson sphere, where you actually wrap the sun in radiation harvesting panelling and/ or electromagnetic fields. But even if we suddenly focused all of our global resources on actual production of one, construction wouldn't start for decades, nor finish for thousands of years.
Really, you're talking about units of time that are impossible to visualize. To us, the weekend is a long way off. I doubt we can all(or even a majority of us can) keep our attention on a singular project for our entire lives, which has to then be passed on to our children so that they can do the same ad infinitum.

All in all, I think we're best off sticking to dwarves.
(and scientific endeavour that can be completed in the estimated survival duration of our species, let alone the planets')
The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2009, 08:43:07 pm »

Or we can hope things go like they did in Firefly's history and begin constructing one of those Dyson thingies now.

What's this about humans not lasting longer than Earth?  We're too resilient for that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:24 pm »

The sun will last 10 billion years

well, you bolster that with another tinier sun! - Jupiter.
You might squeek 11 billion years or so. However I doubt we will be a similiar form in 10 billion years.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:34:11 pm by Zironic »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9