Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Forum Suggestion] A new forum for meta-posts or suggestions about this forum.  (Read 1299 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been noticing more and more threads making suggestions about the forum, or complaining about some aspect of how people behave in the forum, or whatever.

IMHO it's annoying to have all these threads (including this one) in Suggestions.  Suggestions is where I go when I want to read suggestions for Dwarf Fortress the game.  If internal forum politics aren't going away, they belong in their own forum.  And legitimate, useful suggestions for the forum (like this one!   :P) also belong in their own forum.

So I think we need a new subforum.  A meta-forum forum, where people can post suggestions or comments about this forum itself.  That way the suggestions forum won't get cluttered up with suggestions that have nothing to do with Dwarf Fortress the game.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's possibly the best thing I've ever heard.
I used to mod a forum back in my day, and these kinds of discussions are never actually productive, but also never go away, because everybody's got to be the backseat mod and get their two cents in.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's always the "Various Nonsense" board  ::)

Personally I think suggestions should be on a wiki.  Redundant suggestion?  Turn it into a redirect.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been noticing more and more threads making suggestions about the forum, or complaining about some aspect of how people behave in the forum, or whatever.

IMHO it's annoying to have all these threads (including this one) in Suggestions.  Suggestions is where I go when I want to read suggestions for Dwarf Fortress the game.  If internal forum politics aren't going away, they belong in their own forum.  And legitimate, useful suggestions for the forum (like this one!   :P) also belong in their own forum.

So I think we need a new subforum.  A meta-forum forum, where people can post suggestions or comments about this forum itself.  That way the suggestions forum won't get cluttered up with suggestions that have nothing to do with Dwarf Fortress the game.

Instead of (just) a meta-forum, more subforums would be better (including a meta-forum).  If there were subforums for combat suggestions, character suggestions, worldgen suggestions, crafting suggestions, etc., that would be good.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I disagree... Splitting up a forum that doesn't need to be split up isn't helpful it is just clutter.

We have three active Forum suggestions... I don't think we need a WHOLE section for just them as it is much easier to simply ignore them.

As for splitting it up even Further as Zero Gravitas suggests... We barely get enough posts in an entire day to fill up the entire suggestion forum page 1 with new posts. In fact I have often came back after two days and have seen only 8 topics with new posts (or that were new topics).

The last thing I want to see are dead or vacant forums cluttering up 1 or 2 actually used ones.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:30:20 pm by Neonivek »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

"Forum Matters" was going to be one of the new "Finally..." subsections, but it was unclear how much use it would get.  This and the other short one aren't really that important, and I'm going to lock them.  We can sort the rest out over in the other one, and then we can lock that too.  All of the other issues have already been covered in the other one.  In particular, wiki'ng suggestions themselves is useless to me, and sub-forums don't work that well because the search function is broken.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31510
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:08:25 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!