Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New suggestions-Cleanliness preference  (Read 1945 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: New suggestions-Cleanliness preference
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 02:53:23 pm »

Yes I see but a dwarf like any other person will have standards, will a dwarf enjoy seeing mud on their owned possesions, not speaking of clothing.

I certainly feel that a dwarf will like to take care of their personal clothing as well when the time comes. As for soldiers I would like to see that creatures say dwarfs would still feel the need to defend them selfs so blood aside if there are no soldiers in the milatary a drafted dwarf will not have much sense of disagrement with blood as it is the only soldier within the milatary.

As for lets when there are twenty five soldiers a dwarf should feel less inclined to defend everyone he/she knows. So yes blood and vomit should produce unhappy thoughts to clean dwarfs. Nobles on the other hand should have much higher standards. Also for when the time comes that smells are implemented, (besides miasma) cleanilness should have more of an impact.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 01:04:07 am »

Currently, some preferences always show up, and some never do.  Look at the 'needs a drink to get through the working day' preference that all dwarfs get.  So, we don't need to worry about it being unreasonable that some dwarf might enjoy being grimy.  Simply set dwarves to never get more than mildly dirty, and to never generate the extreme clean freak status either.

If cleanliness preferences were implemented, the options should still be reserved. 
Consider:  A C3 elf would seem perfectly reasonable.  Irritating, but reasonable.  It would be part of why they're considered so 'graceful'.  It would also be part of why they have poor relations with other races!  So elves would be C1-C3.
Contrast:  A D3 goblin would seem perfectly reasonable as well.  Disgusting, but reasonable.  The fact that their culture doesn't utterly reject such people would also help establish poor relations with other races.  It'd make diplomacy a real challenge.  So goblins would probably be D2-D3, or even D3 exclusive.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 01:11:40 am »

I say make this be a personality trait under control of modding and then just add the tag so dwarves and other races should have slight preferences or just leave it random. The T dwarves should just not have a note of preference of their profile though, instead of tolerates both clean and dirty so as to match the rest of the personality traits.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 03:21:26 pm »

The question whether enjoying grime is realistic at all is still left unanswered

Jumping in puddles doesn't mean you like vomit on your clothes. Or mud in your house. You might not care about it but liking it really doesn't feel like it's based on reality

Don't really see why goblins should like crusty underpants just because they're the designated chaotic evil race. They live quite nicely in fact. Elves are probably used to mud if they live in the wilderness without houses or leather boots

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:13 pm »

Actually not even Elves sleep on mud. They live in trees (Not currently in game, but it is a confirmed dirrection the elves are going)

I personally wouldn't see why even Goblins would like mud... Perhaps ignore it...

The Closest to sleeping on mud there is are the Kobolds who could reasonably have blankets, straw, or sleep on stone.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 04:33:12 pm »

I wasn't saying they sleep in the mud, just that they're exposed to the elements enough to no longer be so nitpicky about being a bit dirty. You pretty much have to be if you live outside

This as opposed to goblins who live in obsidian towers etc
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:35:44 pm by Pilsu »

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 09:15:38 pm »

I can believe someone likes mud in their house.  But you know, I think we can all agree that nobody is going to want vomit on their clothes.  Some people might ignore it - in emergencies - but nobody is going to ignore it forever.  And some people may very well freak out even in an emergency.  Your C3 warrior acquired cave adaptation?  Sucks to be you.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 10:46:11 pm »

Oh, come on... think about all the folklore- all the old folklore of goblins and beasts that enjoyed squalor and hated cleanliness. Why limit the options for beings? Even if Goblins and Kobolds are going to be more "realistic" than the myths, what about Gods of Filth and Disease?
Besides, the game already has systems for giving races personality ranges, so it's not like it'll be 0-100 for everybody... Dwarves could get 50-60-100 or something.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 03:37:15 pm »

Which would still result in dwarves that like vomit. As said, love of filth is borderline unrealistic

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 03:43:56 pm »

Which would still result in dwarves that like vomit. As said, love of filth is borderline unrealistic

If you want to talk realism, real humans have all kinds of weird fetishes, up to, including, and beyond vomit and scat.  I think you can handle one in every 10,000 dwarves acting a little deranged.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 03:51:50 pm »

Besides, the game already has systems for giving races personality ranges, so it's not like it'll be 0-100 for everybody... Dwarves could get 50-60-100 or something.

Which would still result in dwarves that like vomit. As said, love of filth is borderline unrealistic.

1- Dwarves can be limited to only "dislikes filth" to "tolerates filth", but never "likes filth" Understand? This is already done with other personality traits, for instance goblins never have greater than 50% altruism due to the RAW tag "[PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:25:50]"

2- This is a fantasy, of course. It is easy to imagine fantastic creatures that wallow in mud as a main trait. Pigmen, for instance.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »

If you want to talk realism, real humans have all kinds of weird fetishes, up to, including, and beyond vomit and scat.  I think you can handle one in every 10,000 dwarves acting a little deranged.

Yes, well, I don't think the scale is fine enough for that  :P

Yes, it can be in the game but I don't feel it should be actually used for any of the established races by default. Such tendencies were weeded out by nature for a fairly good reason so I would expect established civilizations to at most tolerate filth, not revel in it

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 01:04:08 pm »

i feel this is a good suggestion, i'd like to be able to mod in some beasts with D3 preferences... or maybe even D467. those guys would produce constant miasma with whatever's on them. enough, even, to see it outdoors. believe me, though, even goblins would be horrified by the mess those guys would make. unless, of course, it's a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 [2]