Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New suggestions-Cleanliness preference  (Read 1944 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
New suggestions-Cleanliness preference
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »

Here is how it goes. And lets call them C3 C2 C1 T D1 D2 D3, respectively.

Obssesed with cleanliness
Prefers a clean home
Dose not mind filth so much
Tolerates both clean and dirty
Dose not care for cleanliness
Enjoys being dirty
Loves filth

Here is how it works.

Obviously a dwarf with any C ratings will have the messages such as

C3 Was horrified by muddy tracks on the floor (Smoothed floor indoors, is different for most surfaces)
C2 Was irritated by muddy tracks
C1 Was bothered by muddy tracks

T No message is generated
D1 No message either
D2 No message as the dwarf only enjoys being dirty

D3 Admired some muddy tracks on the floor

Obviously with the way that we treat our forts now a days we will prefer the D3 dwarf, but how about a C dwarf performs sanatation dutys more willingly and even performs cleaning up said tracks when on break!

C3 Was ecstatic about removing a mess
C2 Enjoyed removing a mess
C1 Got around to removing a mess

Of course those with trees to grow should mark their areas with forbidden tiles.

Moving on, a C dwarf will also prefer staying indoors more often, cleaning/grooming them selfs, getting that vomit stain off of their shoes, actually organize their clothing and even care for their clothing, which help them last much more longer! As they prefer to be more neat, so less clothing to make and less micromanging for when you have any C dwarf!

Also for when diseases are implemented a C dwarf should be more immune to such diseases, while a D dwarf is not. Also perhaps a C3 dwarf will look more impressionable to diplomats or liasons when compared to a D3 dwarf.

Continuing a C3 dwarf will also bath more often, atleast once a week. While a D3 will only bath once a year, when his C3 friends start asking him to. So hopefully messages like this could be generated.

C3 Enjoyed a blissfully clean bath
C2 Enjoyed a bath
C1 Took a nice bath

T Had a warm bath

D1 Was bothered to take a bath
D2 Same as D2 though more of an impact
D3 Was irritated by friends to take a bath

Also C dwarfs should enjoy doing any job which requires cleaning, such as cleaning thier clothing or cleaning another friend's clothing

C3 Was ecstatic about cleaning anothers filthy clothing

While T or D1-D2 would get something like...

Had to wash their clothing or irritated to clean their clothing. As for D3 they wear their clothing untill they are completly dilapidated.

So any thoughts before I continue?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New suggestions-Cleanliness preference
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:30:43 pm »

well thought out, I can imagine them more or less appreciating some of the dirtier jobs like butchery. Although that might make personality have to much of a micromanaging impact.
The great game of Warlocks!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:35:44 pm »

No personally I see a C3 butucher make more fine cuts of meat and cleaning them self after doing so. While a D3 dwarf, well he works much more quicker but the cuts may have a 0.1% of giving a dwarf some stomach virus, which will not kill him but will produce any unhappy thought.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:38:32 pm »

What would a "neat freak" dwarf be?  One that washes the blood and vomit off their clothes once a week?

(Apologies to the writer of the "Sunday Best" joke)
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:14 am »

Is it even possible to enjoy being filthy? It's one thing to be indifferent to it but to revel in mud and urine?

If anything the clean freaks would be frustrated when cleaning other people's messes and would enjoy baths more

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:10:19 am »

Maybe freaks of both kinds could be quite rare among dwarves?

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:41 am »

Is it even possible to enjoy being filthy? It's one thing to be indifferent to it but to revel in mud and urine?

I have to agree with this. I feel like the scale should be between a preference for cleanliness and an indifference to clutter. I mean, who out there really enjoys having crunchy underpants?

[Edit: I really need to proofread more often.]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:00:35 pm by Awayfarer »
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:16:16 am »

dwarves, yeah,  people yeah... but goblins, kobolds?  Pigmen?

Who knows...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:41 am »

I have to agree with this. I feel like the scale should be between a preference forcleanliness and and indifferent to clutter. I mean, who out there really enjoys having crunchy underpants?
Rule 34.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:24:15 pm »

I have to agree with this. I feel like the scale should be between a preference for cleanliness and an indifference to clutter. I mean, who out there really enjoys having crunchy underpants?

[Edit: I really need to proofread more often.]

I always figured that because dwarfs already prefer wearing their clothing untill rot that they would keep on wearing them.

Course they could simply just change their underpants once a week, the D3 kind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:17:57 pm »

crunchy underpants

maybe not to this extreme, but I can see how a dwarf would like mud. not swimming in feces though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 12:37:43 am »

Could use the values as subtractions or additions to (un)happy thoughts from cleaning, messiness etc.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 12:02:26 am »

maybe not to this extreme, but I can see how a dwarf would like mud. not swimming in feces though

I agree- Kobolds and Goblins, on the other hand, I could see enjoying a good wallow.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 01:08:16 am »

Apparently you need to get out more on the internet. Well, let me not encourage you...

Yes, there certainly are D3 people, though they are relatively rare in our culture, which is the point - it's a cultural distinction. Recall that the vast majority of human history has been without not only soap and plumbing but also clothing. Bathing in any sense of the word is a relatively modern cultural invention. Until modern sensibilities, we just didn't give a damn about being filthy. (Thought exercise: how did this lack of caring about hygene impact mating and reproduction rates?)

So, the real question is to what degree do dwarves value sanitation and hygene. To look at the state of mine - all naked, covered in vomit and blood, I'd say not much. But they do favor certain water sources based on hygene and they are somewhat discerning about what they'll eat (no humanoids, no rotting food) so I'd put them with middle-age sensibilities, which is what we tend toward. That means minimal to no bathing would be the norm. So, C1 would be no blood/vomit on them before they eat/sleep, but mud would probably be fine. C3 would probably be tolerant of seeing mud tracks (seriously, lack of mud is a VERY modern thing - under a century) but not vomit/blood. Basically, shift your whole scale about 2 steps in the dirty direction.

Unfortunately, that doesn't make cleanliness terribly impactful on the game.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:04 am »

Arguing that dwarves don't mind being dirty just because they're too stupid to change clothes and wash is rather silly. They don't get bad thoughts simply because grime is unavoidable. It needs pretty intelligent handling to keep soldiers from whining about blood constantly

Yeah, people weren't always so neurotic about cleanliness and barely scraped the grime off their boots before waltzing inside but suggesting that they'd bring blood and vomit to bed and wash once a year is laughable
Pages: [1] 2