Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Disgaea DS + Action Replay = Integer overflow  (Read 13952 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disgaea DS + Action Replay = Integer overflow
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 03:13:46 pm »

This game hates me. And is a horrible tease.

So I just beat the second chapter, and as a result, was pleased to discover that a freakin' Dragon had been added to my list of monster characters. Happily, I went to go build one so I could RAIN DEVASTATION FROM THE SKIES!!!!

Imagine my disappointment when I noticed that I needed over 2,000 friggen mana to create and Incompetent Dragon! Over 60,000 for a Genius!!

Plus, when I went back to the level in the hopes of DRAGON SLAUGHTER CARNAGE (hopefully bringing that price down to manageable levels), I discovered the dragon got replaced by a bloody Golem.

I take solace in the knowledge that the Dragon is probably less useful than regular humaniod characters, like the other monsters.

Still sucks though.  :'(

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 03:16:28 pm »

This game hates me. And is a horrible tease.

So I just beat the second chapter, and as a result, was pleased to discover that a freakin' Dragon had been added to my list of monster characters. Happily, I went to go build one so I could RAIN DEVASTATION FROM THE SKIES!!!!

Imagine my disappointment when I noticed that I needed over 2,000 friggen mana to create and Incompetent Dragon! Over 60,000 for a Genius!!

Plus, when I went back to the level in the hopes of DRAGON SLAUGHTER CARNAGE (hopefully bringing that price down to manageable levels), I discovered the dragon got replaced by a bloody Golem.

I take solace in the knowledge that the Dragon is probably less useful than regular humaniod characters, like the other monsters.

Still sucks though.  :'(

Hehe.

I find the succubus and cyclops monster classes are very good actually.
Dragon's arn't worth the mana, really.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 04:52:09 pm »

Huh.  You can't capture monsters in D1 by hucking them into your base panel with powerful guys sitting in there undeployed?  Because you can do that in D2, once you've beaten a map in which you killed at least one of that specific type before.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 05:29:53 pm »

Huh.  You can't capture monsters in D1 by hucking them into your base panel with powerful guys sitting in there undeployed?  Because you can do that in D2, once you've beaten a map in which you killed at least one of that specific type before.

You can, according to what I've read. But the chances of it working are a little random.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 05:38:15 pm »

It's not THAT random.  Looks like the mechanics are identical to D2:  Only monsters, not humanoids or bosses; you chuck it into your base, it deals damage proportional to its SP distributed among random people in your base, then gets in numerous 1v1 battles to the death with individual random people until it dies or you run out of people.  If the former happens, it's captured (but dead); if the latter, your base panel is lost for the match, and the critter is standing where it was.

In general, if anyone in your base could beat it in a 1v1 fight, you have an almost totally sure victory; if they could do it as a group (with no buffing or healing) then you have a very good chance.

Oh yeah I remember the D2 mechanic now:  You could only capture monsters you could create.  Which means a tier-6 dragon can't be captured (auto-fail) if you can only make tier-3 dragons.  But I think that system worked different in D2, there's no mention of that in D1 where I'm reading.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 08:36:28 pm »

Monster characters are only mostly useless. The Great Wyrm, however, has proven to be most useful to me. Very, very high stats, with plenty of high damage area special attacks. Getting it early, though, is very hard.

Most of all, you really just want to unlock all possible humanoid characters, to get the Hidden Fun Class.
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 05:34:29 pm »

Hey, in D2 some monster classes are awesome in the item world especially.  Ghosts have SP regen, so if you teach them useful spells, you don't really need items.  Rifle demons always hit with anything, no matter what, EVEN ON EVADE TILES.  (Not guaranteed to do any damage, but still.)  There's very useful immunities out there, and flight is always nice...etc.

Of course for raw power you can't beat humanoids with awesome weapons, but still.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »

My current Character Project:
Codename: Midnight.

Midnight began life as Shiva the the Blue Mage. Early on, she mentored a Good for Nothing Cleric (who taught her heal). After the deletion of the Cleric, and leveling two pupils to level 5 (a Red and Green mage, who taught her fire and wind), Shiva was reborn as Midnight the Star Mage.

She is currently on a world tour, solo'ing all the previously played maps at level 13, and just wiped the floor with the first map of chapter 4. By herself.

God I love this game.  ;D

Almost forgot, I'm planning on eventually taking her through the Cleric progressions, so I can eventually turn her into an Angel.
Pages: 1 2 [3]