Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Disgaea DS + Action Replay = Integer overflow  (Read 13957 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disgaea DS + Action Replay = Integer overflow
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:00:15 pm »

So I've been playing a bit of Disgaea lately. After loosing a save from last year, I quit, but didn't feel like restarting as I didn't want to level grind all the way back up. Now, after finding out some Action Replay codes were available that multiply experience gains by powers of two, (that is by 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024), I tried again, activating the highest multiplier and working my way back up to level 2000 something.

Keep in mind here, the maximum level in the original Disgaea is 9999, and the experience required to get through these levels easily moves well into the trillions. You can probably see where I'm going with this.

There is a point, eventually, when the experience given by enemies of a high enough level is so massive, multiplied by 1024, the game is unable to handle it and your level freezes, and I'm back to square one. Even after turning the code off, it becomes impossible to gain levels, and thus no progress can be made anymore

Just wanted to rant.
!!&!!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: Disgaea DS + Action Replay = Integer overflow
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:08:46 pm »

Then don't cheat.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »

Then don't cheat.

He didn't cheat. He just uttered some Action Replay codes to the Dice God of Disgaea, and the Dice God was so pleased he made levelling easier.

But yeah, don't utter Action Replay codes to the God of Disgaea. The only thing worse than an angry Dice God is a happy Dice God.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »

You're worried about level grinding?  Man, I'd be more worried about my weapon skills, and getting all those legendary items to level 100 again.

Disgaea:  It'll Waste Your Life!   :-\
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:42:54 pm »

Yeah. I was trying to get back to the point where I legitimately got before. Getting the Legendaries back to being... Well, Legendary takes a massive amount of work and effort. The replay value is huge for this, and the Item World is always entertaining if occasionally impossible. But that said, getting those Legendaries back up is a lot easier when every monster in the item world gets offed in one or two hits, at least for the first few iterations.
!!&!!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:00 am »

How is the DS port? I've heard good and bad things.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:28:55 am »

This is why you must follow doctrine #4 of cheating:
"If you're committed to cheating, then you must cheat to the greatest available degree."

Cheating is a slippery slope. You either cheat to the max or you don't cheat at all. Anything in between will usually just make you unsatisfied, make you cheat more anyway, or in the worst case scenario, turn you off the game.

In practice, what this means is instead of cheating for the exp bonus, just cheat for level 9999 characters and everything maxed out. If you're going to cheat anyway, that is.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:03:02 am »

Cheating is a slippery slope. You either cheat to the max or you don't cheat at all.

Not really. Sometimes, we cheat just to get to the last level, and play that last level regularly. And it is fun.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 12:35:51 pm »

The doctrines of cheating is like the bible. You follow it to a certain extent but you must apply it accordingly. Though, mind you that doctrine #1 states:
"Don't cheat"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 12:56:41 pm »

Well, the thing is, if I paid money for the game, I am allowed to do what we want with said game, as long as I don't illegally share it with anyone else. Since the point of the game is to have fun, if I can salvage some fun via cheating, why should other people worry?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:15:54 pm »

Not to mention the bible states cheating should not be scorned upon once somebody has beaten said game. Cheating beforehand has been proven more often than not to spoil the purpose of games: To have fun.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:25:30 pm »

The fun of Digaea and other Nippon Icchi games is to max out all your characters. (Or at least one of them.)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:48:40 pm »

I really want to see a Disgaea style game where instead of just going into items to boost them, you can go into your other characters' minds to unlock greater potential or something.

I would also be amused by a system where your stats could go a LOT higher...For a while I imagined a system where the numbers in any given stat changed to a new color every 'thousands' place, and only the top three or four digits were displayed.  Quite amusing if such a system was based on the ROYGBIV spectrum, and you had a chance to do 999 violet damage to a critter with, like, 10 red hit points.  (squish)  Numbers that cross barriers, like 12,345, would be displayed as 123 and could be written as '12.3 orange'.  I guess you could get really really big ones with special glow effects and wrapping the scale around, so something like 'gold glow violet' would be...huge.

Hmm.  Would '999 violet' still be as awesome as '999,000,000,000,000,000,000', even if they represented the same concept?  On one hand, you're not displaying as many numbers, so it's inherantly less cool.  On the other hand, "999" in purple takes less screen space, so you can HAVE more different stats.  I'd say use a scale of 999, 999K, 999M, etc, but that breaks down when you get to Quadrillion, Quintillion, Sextillion, Septillion...  Too many numbers with the same first two letters!  Though I guess you could do K, M, B, T, Q, I, X, P, O, N, D...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:09:01 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 01:53:02 pm »

actually, that's pretty genius (the color scheme)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:41 pm »

I still prefer big numbers.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3