Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Staticbasements: Community fort - found your own guildhall!  (Read 9333 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Staticbasements: Community fort - found your own guildhall!
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2009, 02:44:09 am »

It's tough to do a six level bulding in DF paint, I've found. Give me another day.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:18 am »

just draw it in MS paint  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2009, 03:18:09 am »

I could, but then it'd look similar to the others. Sigh.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2009, 04:22:54 pm »

Latest map upload: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4851-staticbasements-sum-453

News:

The Construction Guild has nearly completed the Farmers Guildhall.

Nutsy Stibmermelbil has recovered from her wounds and is happy to hold a pick again.

A simple water system has been dug underneath the roads of the town.  The Tacticians Guild has been tasked with automating the system and providing a drain, but for the meantime we have water.  The Fishers Guild now has a hall, and their own lake.  Fortis has already caught some fine turtles and cave lobster.

The Elf Dwarf Liason was discovered dead in a section of the waterworks.  Vucar has been feigning innocence as to how he got there, but who would press the matter? He was only an elf.

A goblin snatcher was discovered.  He managed to escape with one of the orphan migrant children.  Rashvir Rashgurkeskal has voiced concern on the safety of her two infants.

Two obsidian statues were provided to the Farmers Guild by the Glassmakers.  They have been set with precious star sapphires.  I wonder what they could want in trade.

Nil now has two fire imps in metal cages.  He is working on expanding his collection and has spent much time down by the chasm.  He has found a home for his four war dogs.  The Tacticians get two in exchange for a cellar an dungeon to be dug beneath his hall.  The Construction Guild gets the other two as part of a contract for the above ground structure of the Trappers Hall.

The streets of Staticbasements are bustling with activity, the signs of a prosperous and healthy community.  Yet beneath the surface of this peace and good fortune is the knowledge that one goblin ambush could rend this town apart by the seams.

:::

So construction on the guilds has been taking some time, but immigration seems to have slowed down.  This is a good thing as I havn't given beds to the last two waves yet.

@Eagle:  If you can wait for a miner migrant to show then your Guild is in, or I can put you in with the Tacticians for the meantime, as they have been doing the mining for the town.

Things should get fun down the road, especially if half the town gets slaughtered as I am assuming it will.  Most my open air forts need a gigantic military to survive.  The Fighters have 3 champion wrestlers, one elite wrestler, and 2 recruits.  Not much in the face of a goblin crossbow squad.

I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »

I'll wait for a miner, or an engraver, to start up the guild. I like the layout so far, can you please keep that small hill behind the glassmakers intact? I want to have that be the entrance into the Earthshapers guild.

Thanks.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2009, 04:37:10 pm »

Hmmm... I approve of the guildhall... Very impre- OH GOD THERE'S A ZOMBIE WITH A CAPITAL Z IN THE HALL!

Also, the farmer's guild is willing to fund the construction of a town wall, preferably one with a parapet. Possibly also the fortifying the guildhall's roof. I also want to start expanding into more aboveground farming.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2009, 04:42:20 pm »

@Eagle: will do.

@Boksi: will do regarding the aboveground farming.  As for the town wall, that is a huge investment that would take the cooperation of all guilds and halt any further improvements until it was done.

So in otherwords can we get a vote on town walls?  Majority wins. 
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2009, 04:54:01 pm »

On the metalsmiths guild:

Not quite what I had in mind, but it will do for now. I'm not sure how the smiths get any sleep.

Also, wondering where the waterworks for the waterfall are going to go.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:08 pm »

I'm guessing im the one of the recruits? :(

I wouldn't mind town walls :)

With a bridge as a gate ^_^
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2009, 05:16:05 pm »

On the metalsmiths guild:

Not quite what I had in mind, but it will do for now. I'm not sure how the smiths get any sleep.

Also, wondering where the waterworks for the waterfall are going to go.

The foundry room could and probably needs to be expanded in both directions.  But if you look at the plumbing system it will be easy to drop it down through the foundry.  I just need a failsafe drain system beneath the town, maybe something like this: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4775-vigorwalls

And those beds are temporary, we'll have to figure out where to house your members.

Reg is actually one of the legendary wrestlers, I let him train with his mace for a bit and put one of his recruits into bedrest.  I think he just needs some real world experience,.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2009, 05:17:13 pm »

I wouldnt mind town walls, just make sure they at least encompass enough for a bit of expansion. Unless we want a medieval class division castle/outlying village type thing.

EDIT: Once the Earthshapers get some members, i wont mind digging and engraving rooms for everyone, so long as they provide furniture/hauling/pets to the diggers.

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2009, 02:34:57 am »

I wouldn't mind a town wall.  Maybe make the guildhalls form most of the wall in such a way that most of the business happens in a courtyard.

Also, the glassmakers demand EPIC BOOZE in return for the awesome statues.

Also, are the glassmakers taking care of obsidian making, because if so, awesome, and if not, I want a slice of that pie.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:52 am »

so, anyone want to hire a dedicated hauler?

EDIT: just found some plans for something I'd like in my guild hall, which i will now PM jplur with.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:00:31 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:16 pm »

This recent goblin activity concerns me. The fisherdwarf guild supports the idea of the town walls. We'll provide fish to any guilds that provide labor and material to build the wall. We're willing to let our guild hall become part of the wall. Just enclose the lake please.

Secondly, could I ask the Tacticians guild to dig a few ramps in the banks of the lake? I don't want any dwarf who falls in to drown because they forgot how to swim.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2009, 02:48:24 pm »

I'll figure something out for the water works in a minute.

I intend to eventually have a fair number of archers under the tactician's guild, based out of underground access bunkers (all of which only lead to the fortified guildhall). I'm just drawing up a pencil sketch on paint now.

These are the rough plans for the above ground portions of the tacticians guild. The thick black spots are doors, and the red dash are fortifications. From upper left,
we have the mainlevel, people who are entering the hall can't just walk in. They have to go up to the second floor (eventually, some dogs would be nice here) then back down before they have access the main part of the guild.
The second floor (upper right) is mostly arrow slits, with the addition of two outer bunkers, for added field of fire.
Third floor (lower left) is arrow storage (they'll be more underground) and a firing range.
Fourth floor is the area for the guild master and roof access (I have plans for the roof later).

Underground will eventually have some small farms, workshops, storage and other stuff.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:12:20 pm by Strife26 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15