Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: decorate with stone  (Read 787 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
decorate with stone
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:49:50 pm »

How do I mod in decorating with stone, and do I need to gen a new world?  Thanks in advance.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: decorate with stone
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »

There isn't any good way to mod it in that I know of.  The closest thing would be modding in a "rock" that's technically a metal, and decorating with that, but it would still be done by metalcrafters at a forge.  Not very satisfying.

There's an active Suggestions thread about this: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5136.0

e: oh, I guess you already posted in there

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 01:36:21 pm »

There's an active Suggestions thread about this: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5136.0

e: oh, I guess you already posted in there
Yeah.  :P

I just thought I'd ask the modding experts, since I couldn't figure out how to do it.  Thanks for the quick reply.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:51:12 pm »

I'm not really a modder but I understand some of the basics.

Why would it not be possible to do it this way then...

1. Mine stone, let's say Conglomerate.

2. Convert stone into decorating stone at a smelter. (reagent: stone, produces a metal bar, entity unique by stone type) Say, Conglomerate rock into Polished Conglomerate.

E.g.
[REACTION:POLISHING_CONGLOMERATE]
[NAME:Polish Conglomerate]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:CONGLOMERATE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:POLISHED_CONGLOMERATE]

3. Include entries for all decoratable stones into the matgloss as a metal bar. Polished Conglomerate would have to be a metal with no actual ore assignment.

E.g. [MATGLOSS_METAL:POLISHED_CONGLOMERATE]
[NAME:polished conglomerate][ADJ:polished conglomerate][COLOR:7:3:0]
[VALUE:3]
[SPEC_HEAT:450]
[MELTING_POINT:14000]
[BOILING_POINT:18000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8800]

(I used the metal entry for Nickel, you'd want to tweak these better and assign colors properly)

4. Use said Polished Conglomerate in a forge for decoration.

You can assign the reaction to not use fuel (I believe) and decorating at forges doesn't use fuel already. Sure, you'd have metalworkers decorating with stone, but Footkerchief's idea is valid. Actually doing it... don't know. I've provided examples but I don't know if they work. Like I said, I'm no modder, but I think it should be possible.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:02:18 pm »

I'm not really a modder but I understand some of the basics.

Why would it not be possible to do it this way then...

1. Mine stone, let's say Conglomerate.

2. Convert stone into decorating stone at a smelter. (reagent: stone, produces a metal bar, entity unique by stone type) Say, Conglomerate rock into Polished Conglomerate.

E.g.
[REACTION:POLISHING_CONGLOMERATE]
[NAME:Polish Conglomerate]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:CONGLOMERATE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:POLISHED_CONGLOMERATE]

3. Include entries for all decoratable stones into the matgloss as a metal bar. Polished Conglomerate would have to be a metal with no actual ore assignment.

E.g. [MATGLOSS_METAL:POLISHED_CONGLOMERATE]
[NAME:polished conglomerate][ADJ:polished conglomerate][COLOR:7:3:0]
[VALUE:3]
[SPEC_HEAT:450]
[MELTING_POINT:14000]
[BOILING_POINT:18000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8800]

(I used the metal entry for Nickel, you'd want to tweak these better and assign colors properly)

4. Use said Polished Conglomerate in a forge for decoration.

You can assign the reaction to not use fuel (I believe) and decorating at forges doesn't use fuel already. Sure, you'd have metalworkers decorating with stone, but Footkerchief's idea is valid. Actually doing it... don't know. I've provided examples but I don't know if they work. Like I said, I'm no modder, but I think it should be possible.

I think it might be more appropriate to make the polished stone be gems, then they would be used at the jeweler's workshop by gem setters, which seems like it would make sense to me.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.