Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [FORUM] Toady is not God.  (Read 3839 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [FORUM] Toady is not God.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 05:09:22 am »

Complaint threads about the abuse of OPs seem to be a recurring theme.  In that particular case, pointing out some of the threads from the search [poison "water supply"] or Bloat272 or whatever, and then encouraging further discussion on one of those threads would be fine.  If they want to further flesh out the notion of a taster (or whatever better ways there are to go about detecting poison, which is something I haven't thought much about), that would be another avenue.

If you don't want to contribute, why reply?  Running somebody off isn't a contribution from my standpoint.  Being enthusiastic and posting a suggestion without going through the proper motions is either lazy or careless, but we aren't so glutted with crap that we can't afford to let it go without a reply or to add a single helpful reply.

Given that we've had a few of these threads recently, I think I'll probably need to rewrite the upper block a bit to clarify my position for people making replies (I suppose that's the only avenue open to me if the OPs in question don't bother reading them...).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 05:30:41 am »

I think that by trying to quell all of this OP bashing (of which there is some, but not an outlandish or nightmarish amount), a larger problem is being created simply by focusing on all this negativity.   It's really getting to me, all this fingerpointing, countermeasuring, etc.

Edit:

More like it's fairly obvious that no one person can immediately grasp all the possibilities of a new mechanic like poisoning, especially when it's first getting a proper treatment.  "Poisons are being implemented" was a bizarre and obtuse reply, don't defend it.

The original suggestion was that creatures use poison to poison food supplies.   The first reply, was: "Poison are being implemented, and Toady won't let us down." which implies his belief that Toady will implement creatures and civs being sneaky with poisons.   Which is what poison primarily is for.

It wasn't shooting anyone down, it was merely a way of saying "Don't worry, Toady will surely do something with this."- it's agreement, approval, and a vote of confidence in Toady.   If anything, it's more supportive than my fairly neutral "This is planned, <devnotes C&P>, there has been a previous thread <link>" sort of form response.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:36:09 am by Capntastic »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 08:33:19 am »

One reason the "Toady thinks of everything" is kinda hillarious to me is that Toady does take people's suggestions and applies them (and puts them in the RAWs)

Toady rarely, if ever, states where he gets his ideas from so we will never know how much of the game is really inspired by the players.
-Interestingly in the first Armok he was going to start saying what ideas he got from the forum and had a whole section of the Devs to put it in

To admit... I am interested to know what ideas Toady gets from the forums... I already know he actively archives suggestions he thinks are interesting for later.

Note to self: Poison Detection? Well there is Taste, Smell, and Sight. If it is in the target then it is identified by how the person died. I guess I could try my hand at this.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:11:01 am by Neonivek »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 09:11:13 am »

Indeed, I can always support more newbie-friendliness. Then again, we do it in a rather mature fashion in comparison to other freeware game communities out there. We mostly mention it is being worked on, and use the search. Generally we don't go "Jeez, use the damn search feature!" or "Idiot newbies."

Well said.  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:13:31 am by Tormy »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 09:54:06 am »

To admit... I am interested to know what ideas Toady gets from the forums... I already know he actively archives suggestions he thinks are interesting for later.

You think the 'search first' replies are curt now?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 10:12:26 am »

You think the 'search first' replies are curt now?

What in the world does he mean by this?

Electronic Franklin Dictionary! I need your help!

Curt (Adjective) 1630: Rude, short, bluff, shut people up, brusque, terse
-From the latin word "Curtus" meaning mutilated or curtailed

Really I don't know how you get that from what I wrote.

As for the "Seach First" Replies... The problem is that it really is an active "Shut up" when really it a discussion should occur. Not to mention that the "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" Dog pile is disgraceful.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 11:02:19 am »

I meant 'Look, I already thought of that, and it's in the dev notes with my name on it, so shut up you big poopy head'

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 01:15:35 pm »

Repent, sinners, or the Toad shall smite thee with his deafening croak!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 02:49:38 pm »

Hi!

I see actually two issues here, one being basically just implied by the thread title while the other is the real meat.

One thing is the joking about Toady being a deity/God/almighty/whatever. These jokes go readily across the board and are taken in light spirit in general. However, occasionally, they can grow annoying. But even that is not a real issue, I think, and I don't see it as the point really discussed here.

The real issue here is, in my opinion, the difference between thinking and saying/writing. We can not really know what Toady, Three Toe or anyone else is thinking. We can only know what they are saying/writing and claiming otherwise seems rather arrogant to me. Sure, we can speculate about motivations and awareness, but we can't be sure until we are told.

Transferring this to the suggestions forums, all we genuinely know about what Toady has considered are the exact words he used in the dev log, his goals, the bug reports, and other statements he has made. Anything else would be a deduction and we can never be certain whether we are right about it.

Thus, I think it is quite valid to make suggestions that are derived from existing goals as long as they somehow refine or reconsider the aspect. This is not to question Toady's intelligence, but people sometimes miss even the most obvious things, and that happens to geniuses as well as morons. It may be that Toady has thought of the thing suggested, but it may also be that some additional aspect is mentioned he had not really seen before and may wish to investigate after all. And even if the initial suggestion may fall into what Toady has actually thought of, the fact that it is refined from what is publicly known may actually increase the probability that the discussion based on that suggestion may bring forth thus far unconsidered possibilities. Who can really tell?

Besides, arguing about what can obviously be deducted is also dangerous when dealing with a suggestion forum. Is not the existance of goblins themselves reason to expect them poisoning wells? Could you not argue that their existance automatically brings with it many military suggestions? Is it not obvious that a fantasy world is likely to have at least some kind of magic? In other words, where does the deductable material end and things you can suggest start? Is it not so, that all we are suggesting here can actually be deduced from what the game already offers - the realistic physics, the merciless directness of violence, the complex history and personal relationships? I think any of the suggestions made can be proven to be directly derived either from these features or from technical issues like the user interface - so all the suggestions would be meaningless as "Toady wouldn't let us down.".

I am sorry, but I think that putting it so bluntly is necessary.

In the end, I think, considering this as well as other threads, there is a question of what people come here for. Do they want to share their stories? Do they want to help newbies? Do they want to brag? Do they want to intimidate others? Do they want to impress others? Do they want to return something to the community who helped them when they started playing the game? Do they have an inspiration they simply need to talk about?

As I said before, no one can claim to know what someone else thinks. Only the person in question can ask themselves whether they really want to be constructive or destructive by doing whatever they do. And because of that, only that person can really say whether their actions actually achieve whatever goal they are aiming for.

Deathworks

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 04:42:13 pm »

I can't wait for the next release, so we can go back to discussing the game, rather than expending all this energy on infighting.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 07:33:38 pm »

ALL PRAISE THE ALMIGHTY TOAD! This forum is only for us to think of Him more often! This is a place of worship! We pray unto Him by offering votive sacrifices of stupid and repetitive suggestions that He will rejoice in the stability of our worship.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 07:35:41 pm »

ALL PRAISE THE ALMIGHTY TOAD! This forum is only for us to think of Him more often! This is a place of worship! We pray unto Him by offering votive sacrifices of stupid and repetitive suggestions that He will rejoice in the stability of our worship.

Yeah I can see where you were going by "Annoying"

I really don't find the "Lets praise Toady" topics to be very enjoyable or funny. (Though they are often taken seriously rather then in jest)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »

Thats my thread!

/points at Poisoner thread

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 08:22:12 pm »

I think that by trying to quell all of this OP bashing (of which there is some, but not an outlandish or nightmarish amount), a larger problem is being created simply by focusing on all this negativity.   It's really getting to me, all this fingerpointing, countermeasuring, etc.
Are you being disloyal, comrade?
The great game of Warlocks!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:01 pm »

Well for toady to put omething in he has to think of it. So in a way he DOES think of everything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3